Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #1,531 of 5,176
Fantastic to get feedback on the Concerto vs the Matrix. Tougher to find comparisons with the mighty T-33H, but thats understandable.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,532 of 5,176
My setup is the K702 fed by the M-Stage and usb DacWOW.  I got the opa627 and didnt really like the changes it made to the soundstage.  I also have a Corda Headfive and I decided to try 2 of the lm6171s out of it on a dual dip adapter and absolutely love this sound!  I have read many posts about how picky this opamp is and am worried about damaging my M-stage running them on an amp not designed around them.  Do I have anything to worry about?

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,533 of 5,176
Yea the concerto definitely hit the spot, volume precision with the LCD-2's are that much greater and that sense of something missing is definitely no longer there.

It was definitely a noticeable improvement on a large scale, but I wouldn't be doing the M-Stage justice by comparing sound signatures since I don't have the m-stage with me at the moment.  I guess if I could though the matrix was less wire with gain then the concerto is.

Which was ok with the 702's but not so much with the LCD-2's.

As an added bonus the cross feed sounds better than foobars built in cross feed while at the same time making some older recordings with hard pannings easier to listen to. 

Still, the m-stage is a solid amp.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,534 of 5,176

Quote:
My setup is the K702 fed by the M-Stage and usb DacWOW.  I got the opa627 and didnt really like the changes it made to the soundstage.  I also have a Corda Headfive and I decided to try 2 of the lm6171s out of it on a dual dip adapter and absolutely love this sound!  I have read many posts about how picky this opamp is and am worried about damaging my M-stage running them on an amp not designed around them.  Do I have anything to worry about?

Not really.

If you want really accurate soundstage, OPA1641 can't be beat, I'm told.  It requires soldering to an adapter, however.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #1,535 of 5,176

Quote:
Yea the concerto definitely hit the spot, volume precision with the LCD-2's are that much greater and that sense of something missing is definitely no longer there.

It was definitely a noticeable improvement on a large scale, but I wouldn't be doing the M-Stage justice by comparing sound signatures since I don't have the m-stage with me at the moment.  I guess if I could though the matrix was less wire with gain then the concerto is.

Which was ok with the 702's but not so much with the LCD-2's.

As an added bonus the cross feed sounds better than foobars built in cross feed while at the same time making some older recordings with hard pannings easier to listen to. 

Still, the m-stage is a solid amp.

Good feedback - thanks.

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #1,536 of 5,176
the volume control is really too weird at 0dB with the LCD-2 (it seems unlinear). Since i turn it very often, i kept with +10dB...
I might go with the concerto if the digital pot doesn't make a clicking sound like audio-gd phoenix

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #1,537 of 5,176
The concerto makes the clicking noises when changing volume, but its not really a probem unless you have your hand on the knob during every song.  Its stepped, but feels linear.  No random shots of volume spike, no tactile grooves.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #1,538 of 5,176
Please forgive my "newbie -ness".  Great group here!

I've dusted off the Rega Planar 3 and have really started to enjoy listening to vinyl again.  After reading this thread I've decided that I'd like to invest in the Matrix M-Stage and AKG-701 (or 702).  I have a couple of questions.

My AV receiver that everything (including turntable) goes through is a Integra DTR-40.1

I "assume" that the Matrix simply connects though the tape-in / tape-out of the receiver, correct?

My other question regards the opamp's.  My vinyl listening consists of a variety of music but if I were to zero in on what I'd like to listen to mostly with the headphones it would be female vocals (rock, folk, pop, jazz), classic jazz (coltrane etc.), some classical, and yes, some good old rock but don't need big boomy bass, just realistic imaging.

I was thinking of ordering the Matrix direct from Tam's site and was about to add the " BURR BROWN OPA627AP WITH CLASS A BIASING MOD" - mostly because it looks like plug' n play (ie: no soldering and removable) and do tests with and without it.  If I didn't care for the sound with it I could simply remove it.  Am I correct with this?

Any help or suggestions about this setup would be greatly appreciated.  I don't have a huge budget but I think this combination will keep me happy for awhile.  I'm assuming that the sound coming out of my old AKG-240's (I *think they're the sextet model) would be much better as well with the Matrix rather than the phone out of the receiver.

Thanks! - Bob 

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #1,539 of 5,176

Quote:
The concerto makes the clicking noises when changing volume, but its not really a probem unless you have your hand on the knob during every song.  Its stepped, but feels linear.  No random shots of volume spike, no tactile grooves.

actually i do have my hand on the volume knob ....so often....i think the clicking noises will keep me away from the concerto :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,540 of 5,176

Quote:
Please forgive my "newbie -ness".  Great group here!

I've dusted off the Rega Planar 3 and have really started to enjoy listening to vinyl again.  After reading this thread I've decided that I'd like to invest in the Matrix M-Stage and AKG-701 (or 702).  I have a couple of questions.

My AV receiver that everything (including turntable) goes through is a Integra DTR-40.1

I "assume" that the Matrix simply connects though the tape-in / tape-out of the receiver, correct?

My other question regards the opamp's.  My vinyl listening consists of a variety of music but if I were to zero in on what I'd like to listen to mostly with the headphones it would be female vocals (rock, folk, pop, jazz), classic jazz (coltrane etc.), some classical, and yes, some good old rock but don't need big boomy bass, just realistic imaging.

I was thinking of ordering the Matrix direct from Tam's site and was about to add the " BURR BROWN OPA627AP WITH CLASS A BIASING MOD" - mostly because it looks like plug' n play (ie: no soldering and removable) and do tests with and without it.  If I didn't care for the sound with it I could simply remove it.  Am I correct with this?

Any help or suggestions about this setup would be greatly appreciated.  I don't have a huge budget but I think this combination will keep me happy for awhile.  I'm assuming that the sound coming out of my old AKG-240's (I *think they're the sextet model) would be much better as well with the Matrix rather than the phone out of the receiver.

Thanks! - Bob 

I believe you are correct on both accounts. Tape out from the Integra in to the M-Stage, and easy swapping of the opamp depending on which you prefer more.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #1,541 of 5,176
Got in two more opamps in to try; AD797 & OPA1641.
AD797 has similar attributes as the LM4562, but with a boost to the treble. Too bright for my taste.
The OPA1641 is again similar to the LM4562, but with some of the vocal magic of the OPA627. Seems to also add a bit of sparkle without being bright. The OPA627 has great vocals, but a tad on the dark side. The OPA1641 in the M-Stage is very well balanced with my LCD-2.  Looks like we have a winner!
atsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,544 of 5,176
It's pretty weird.
I've ordered tonight from tam's audio website.
In the last confirmation step, it told me :"10413::The totals of the cart item amounts do not match order amounts.". (It seems that I had this problem because I use a french browser which uses comma instead of a period between decimal numbers.
 However, my credit card still got charged that amount of money of the order and it looks like I didn't make any order (not appearing on the site). Let's just hope that the owner is legit and will respond to my e-mail. :S

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,545 of 5,176

Quote:
Got in two more opamps in to try; AD797 & OPA1641.
AD797 has similar attributes as the LM4562, but with a boost to the treble. Too bright for my taste.
The OPA1641 is again similar to the LM4562, but with some of the vocal magic of the OPA627. Seems to also add a bit of sparkle without being bright. The OPA627 has great vocals, but a tad on the dark side. The OPA1641 in the M-Stage is very well balanced with my LCD-2.  Looks like we have a winner!
atsmile.gif

Where did you get those AD797 from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back