Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Jun 4, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #826 of 877
Hoping someone could help me. I bought another pair on ebay as spares (serial 18-0105XX).
Comparing them side by side with the pair directly from massdrop (serial 18-0416XX) the ebay pair is:
- Much softer at the same volume level
- And the left and right channels seem less balanced

Have i bought a dud? or are the older ones tuned differently?
I read that BAs can be overdriven or filled with waxbut no idea how I'd check this

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #828 of 877
Hoping someone could help me. I bought another pair on ebay as spares (serial 18-0105XX).
Comparing them side by side with the pair directly from massdrop (serial 18-0416XX) the ebay pair is:
- Much softer at the same volume level
- And the left and right channels seem less balanced

Have i bought a dud? or are the older ones tuned differently?
I read that BAs can be overdriven or filled with waxbut no idea how I'd check this

While it is being overdriven you'd probably hear the sound being broken up (at least this is my experience with other IEM), but once the driver gets damaged I am not sure the effect would necessarily be obvious- could be something like channel imbalance?

One thing that's relatively easy to check- inspect cable connections for signs of oxidation (verdigris) from sweat/moisture which creates a more resistive connection and has these effects (Clean with plastic safe Deoxit type product).

If you didn't already- could also swap the cables & see what happens. Just be sure to look carefully at the pins if you plug the potentially bad cable in the good set- This thread has had some reported issues with MD+ cable looseness and to solve this sometimes people will slightly crimp the cable pins to force a better connection, but if you use a cable like that on a good connector it could damage the connector.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #829 of 877
While it is being overdriven you'd probably hear the sound being broken up (at least this is my experience with other IEM), but once the driver gets damaged I am not sure the effect would necessarily be obvious- could be something like channel imbalance?

One thing that's relatively easy to check- inspect cable connections for signs of oxidation (verdigris) from sweat/moisture which creates a more resistive connection and has these effects (Clean with plastic safe Deoxit type product).

If you didn't already- could also swap the cables & see what happens. Just be sure to look carefully at the pins if you plug the potentially bad cable in the good set- This thread has had some reported issues with MD+ cable looseness and to solve this sometimes people will slightly crimp the cable pins to force a better connection, but if you use a cable like that on a good connector it could damage the connector.

Thanks,
I'd tried swapping cables but still the same issues.
Looking at the connections theres nothing obvious, though its a bit hard to see since theyre so tiny
Guess its internal so looks like a dud...

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #830 of 877
Is hiss/bloat inevitable on a MacBook Pro/iPhone without a dongle? If anyone can try this directly, that would be really appreciated.

Edit: by dongle I meant the lightning to 3.5mm adapter

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #834 of 877
I know that some of the newer massdrop/drop branded products I bought had the pastel green and white combo, so it may have just been an update from their old color scheme.

Thanks. I meant wow. I had really no idea. The packaging is different. There is no loose connection, and the cable is non microphonic.
It seems better but too good to be true when others reported otherwise.
For the sound quality I really had no idea. I have poor taste and the plus is an immense improvement from my dt770 pro.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #835 of 877
Debating whether to get ER4XR, MD+, or Audiosense T800.. any suggestions? I enjoy bass so thinking I'd like MD+ more than ER4XR so can rule those ones out pretty easily I think.

The fit of MD+ and t800 look similar. Anyone know where a graph of the t800 is so I can compare the two?

Aug 6, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #836 of 877
Can anyone advise how to buy the 0.78 cable at Aliexpress?
The reason we can't get randomly get one is because of the recessed hole.

Pls advise.

p/s : should I get spc or pure copper?

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #837 of 877
Aug 12, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #838 of 877
Can anyone advise how to buy the 0.78 cable at Aliexpress?
The reason we can't get randomly get one is because of the recessed hole.

Pls advise.

p/s : should I get spc or pure copper?

Thanks.

I just ordered the TRN 0.78mm cable with mic because I wanted the pause/play button. It doesn't have a notch but there's a review saying it works fine for MD+ and posted pictures.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32953165822.html
We'll see in 10 days :).

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #840 of 877
The 64 Audio cable is good if you want to buy American. Null Brevity cable fell apart on me after a few months so I would stay away. There's a separate thread for Chi-fi cables if you want to go budget.
Any low Oi source (<2ohms) would be fine. It's easy to drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back