Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
May 4, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #811 of 877
I didn’t know it was a thing until someone brought it up over on the Campfire IO thread

These are measurements of the MD+ (RED) overlapping the ER4XR:
ykpLYI5.jpg

And this is the old FR for the MD+ before it went through retuning:
index.php

I feel like the IO matches this FR quite closely except their peak in the upper highs is situated closer to 7-8k hz and that dip isn't as large, similar to what I hear from the Lyra II. I don't find them to be slightly V-shaped at all, personally. They sound pretty forward throughout the mids IMO and I'm willing to bet have a similar rise in the 1.5-3k hz region.

I normally use the vocals by Kelvin Swaby from The Heavy as my sibilance test as his 'S' and occasionally 'T' sounds are usually triggers. Try the track "The Apology" to get an idea of what I'm talking about. It still isn't bad enough to really bother me, but it is present to those that may be more sensitive to it than I.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with everything else you stated as well.

I also have no idea when Christian and co. switched to the new tuning which means I also have no idea which tuning mine has, @CEE TEE would you be so kind as to shed some light?

May 4, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #812 of 877
I didn’t know it was a thing until someone brought it up over on the Campfire IO thread

I also have no idea when Christian and co. switched to the new tuning which means I also have no idea which tuning mine has, @CEE TEE would you be so kind as to shed some light?

They will all have the tuning that is in the FR chart being compared to the ER4. The other chart was their tuning while they were in beta/test phase at some point before being changed to the other FR for production. I just found it interesting as I feel like the IO matches the FR during that test phase is all since they sound so similar to the MD+ and ER4. Sorry for any confusion about that on my part.

May 4, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #813 of 877
They will all have the tuning that is in the FR chart being compared to the ER4. The other chart was their tuning while they were in beta/test phase at some point before being changed to the other FR for production. I just found it interesting as I feel like the IO matches the FR during that test phase is all since they sound so similar to the MD+ and ER4. Sorry for any confusion about that on my part.

That's all good, thanks for clarifying :)

Side note, Looks like I might get to audition the IO and the Polaris II next month, rather looking forward to it as I was a big fan of the Polaris I, but either way my MD+ aren't going anywhere!

May 4, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #814 of 877
Right, there was no change to tuning...should match the graphs on our site and the one above comparing to ER4XR. Glad you are keeping your MD+!

May 4, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #815 of 877
That's all good, thanks for clarifying :)

Side note, Looks like I might get to audition the IO and the Polaris II next month, rather looking forward to it as I was a big fan of the Polaris I, but either way my MD+ aren't going anywhere!

I'm thoroughly enjoying both so far. The IO is brighter (dare I say, neutral/bright) than the MD+ so notes and vocals have a sharp edge to them which I've been enjoying. On the flip the Polaris 2 is warmer with some heavy bass and feels the polar opposite of the IO. Both really go together well depending on mood and genre of music, personally. Easy to drive, haven't been hissy on any of my sources, built well, good accessories, etc.

May 4, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #816 of 877
I've heard there is treble unit variation with these. Anybody able to comment on that?

IDK about unit variation but I have noticed that I prefer it with specific sources- I don't have Zout figures for them, but presumably its because of output impedance's influence - using an IEMatch to add an ohm or two w/ the non-preferred sources seems to do the trick.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #817 of 877
IDK about unit variation but I have noticed that I seem to prefer it with specific sources- I don't have Zout figures for them, but presumably its because of output impedance's influence - using an IEMatch to add an ohm or two w/ the non-preferred sources seems to do the trick.

I read that it was a pretty-much mandatory purchase with the MD+ so I bought an IEMatch ahead of time. I think the main thing it does (aside from keeping the IEMs from blowing my ears out and allowing the use of much more volume from the audio source in the process) is keeping that frequency response more consistent by keeping the output impedance the same regardless of what I plug them into.
Second best $100 I've ever spent.. Because I live in New Zealand and the exchange rate is cruel to us.

[QUOTE="CEE TEE, post: 14936210, member: 147721" Glad you are keeping your MD+![/QUOTE]

<censored> yes I'm keeping 'em! Love these things to bits, their FR and their design both fit me like a glove

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #819 of 877
Has anyone compared SONY IER-M7 to Massdrop Plus or Moondrop Blessing?

May 31, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #820 of 877
Hi all,

Looking to find a replacement for my Shure SE425s which suffered a broken nozzle on one housing recently. I am considering IEMs up to $300.

I listen to mostly rock/alternative, with dabbles into EDM, classical, and most other genres. Here's my prior listening experiences:
Shure SE425: Decent neutrality, occasionally sibilant but not enough bottom end/balance
Shure SE215: Slightly too sibilant and bassy for my music types- could be exciting with some types of music, but a little overmatched when it came to music with many "layers" i.e. overlapping guitars and so on.
Shure SRH940: Waaaaay too sibilant and hissy.

I like the idea of a "mostly neutral" IEM with a little more elevated bass on the low end, but presents enough detail without getting too sibilant. The Campfire Audio IO at a similar price seems to be similar to the 425/940 in terms of being quite splashy on treble.

In this group's opinion, does this sounds like a good replacement/potential upgrade over my previous headphones?

May 31, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #821 of 877
Hi all,

Looking to find a replacement for my Shure SE425s which suffered a broken nozzle on one housing recently. I am considering IEMs up to $300.

I listen to mostly rock/alternative, with dabbles into EDM, classical, and most other genres. Here's my prior listening experiences:
Shure SE425: Decent neutrality, occasionally sibilant but not enough bottom end/balance
Shure SE215: Slightly too sibilant and bassy for my music types- could be exciting with some types of music, but a little overmatched when it came to music with many "layers" i.e. overlapping guitars and so on.
Shure SRH940: Waaaaay too sibilant and hissy.

I like the idea of a "mostly neutral" IEM with a little more elevated bass on the low end, but presents enough detail without getting too sibilant. The Campfire Audio IO at a similar price seems to be similar to the 425/940 in terms of being quite splashy on treble.

In this group's opinion, does this sounds like a good replacement/potential upgrade over my previous headphones?

Can't speak to the Shures. Once I found a good fit I haven't had noticed much in the way of sibliance, but depending on your source and the type of treble you find irritating, you may want to have a little extra budget after purchase for an IEMatch (thread search for impedance you will see differing opinions on this matter). For my preference MD+ it's a pretty good all-rounder w/ the IEMatch. Also like Sony N3 as an all-rounder in this pricerange, not so neutral but easy to recommend for relaxed but balanced treble, however may have more bass than you'd like.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #822 of 877
Can't speak to the Shures. Once I found a good fit I haven't had noticed much in the way of sibliance."
"For my preference MD+ it's a pretty good all-rounder w/ the IEMatch."

I know I always second any recommendation of the MD+ & IEMatch combo, but seconded. Absolutely spot-on about the fit too. I've been taking that for for granted for the last year and only remembered that IEMs could actually be finnicky because I've now also got a Toneking BL-1 that I'm evaluating and the fit on that has been much more difficult! MD+ with Spiral Dots fit like a glove.

For an all-BA IEM the Plus has always been a pleasant surprise. I find that the frequency response gets out of its own way a lot and while the bass delivery is definitely less intense and less deep compared to a dynamic or planar driver there is a surprising amount of both depth and slam.
I've found the whole package of the MD+ to be very much free of fatigue. They are the kind of pair you can just pop in and just get lost in your music for hours. I don't know how that compares to the SE425s but that's definitely been my experience with the Plus.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #824 of 877
Anyone have suggestions for a replacement cable around $50 or less (not balanced, 3.5mm)? I see Null Audio Brevity being thrown around, but it seems like they are only selling the 2.5 balanced version right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back