Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
May 29, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #421 of 877
Damn...these are pretty good. It’s as if my ER4XR and Comets mated. You get the coherency of the ER4XR but also the musicality of the Comets.

EA476FD5-52AD-411E-8AAB-8F6BBADA8848.jpeg
1AF369E0-FA82-4C18-970E-A6C2F3D59E63.jpeg

Pros:
- super wide soundstage (first thing I noticed)
- beautifully coherent mids and vocals (not recessed at all)
- just the right amount of bass (I find the ER4XR has too much mid-bass sometimes. These are tuned to similar level bass as the Comets)
- no sibilance and good treble presence (more than the Comets, less than the ER4s)
- amazingly comfortable (I went with the medium marshmallow tips)
- super light cable (doesn’t irritate the ears)

I’d describe these as neutral with a slight bass boost. These IEMs are very easy to love. They’re honest and transparent while having a pleasant personality.

Comparisons with ER4XR
- instrumental layering/separation: ER4XR
- soundstage width: MD+
- soundstage depth: ER4XR
- treble: ER4XR (extends higher)
- bass: MD+ (ER4XR is too much)
- sub-bass: MD+ (extends further, more quantity)
- vocals: ER4XR (more life-like)
- PRaT (pacing, rthymn and timing): ER4XR (it’s like a laser machine)
- comfort: MD+ (doesn’t feel like I have anything on)

I won’t compare these to the Comets, IT01 or GR07BE because I think the MD+ are better than them in every way (except maybe for the sub-bass of the IT01 and the highs of the GR07). Don’t want to compare them to the Bravados either because I feel the Bravados outclass them except for maybe comfort. However, I spent almost 3x more compared to these when also adding the cost of my pure silver cable.

Conclusion: if you like the ER4XR for its honesty and neutrality but feel it’s too “clinical” or “analytical”, these are its warmer sister. You get the coherency and a smile along with it.

More impressions as I listen to these.

May 29, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #422 of 877
Got mine a couple days ago. Thoughts so far:

• Glad I ordered the balanced cable, b/c the single-ended cable was DOA. (Right side no sound)
That's...disappointing. Feeling more and more justified in ordering a third-party one now. Also plonked down some cash for the IEMatch so I can keep the OI the same regardless of what I'm plugging into.

They're delivered! Time to pick them up after work.

Mail forwarder finally receipted my pair, My estimate is Friday next week (there's a public holiday here on Monday so even if they do get here over the weekend, Customs won't process it for at least a day.)

May 29, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #423 of 877
Damn...these are pretty good. It’s as if my ER4XR and Comets mated. You get the coherency of the ER4XR but also the musicality of the Comets.

Pros:
- super wide soundstage (first thing I noticed)
- beautifully coherent mids and vocals (not recessed at all)
- just the right amount of bass (I find the ER4XR has too much mid-bass sometimes. These are tuned to similar level bass as the Comets)
- no sibilance and good treble presence (more than the Comets, less than the ER4s)
- amazingly comfortable (I went with the medium marshmallow tips)
- super light cable (doesn’t irritate the ears)

I’d describe these as neutral with a slight bass boost. These IEMs are very easy to love. They’re honest and transparent while having a pleasant personality.

Comparisons with ER4XR
- instrumental layering/separation: ER4XR
- soundstage width: MD+
- soundstage depth: ER4XR
- treble: ER4XR (extends higher)
- bass: MD+ (ER4XR is too much)
- sub-bass: MD+ (extends further, more quantity)
- vocals: ER4XR (more life-like)
- PRaT (pacing, rthymn and timing): ER4XR (it’s like a laser machine)
- comfort: MD+ (doesn’t feel like I have anything on)

I won’t compare these to the Comets, IT01 or GR07BE because I think the MD+ are better than them in every way (except maybe for the sub-bass of the IT01 and the highs of the GR07). Don’t want to compare them to the Bravados either because I feel the Bravados outclass them except for maybe comfort. However, I spent almost 3x more compared to these when also adding the cost of my pure silver cable.

Conclusion: if you like the ER4XR for its honesty and neutrality but feel it’s too “clinical” or “analytical”, these are its warmer sister. You get the coherency and a smile along with it.

More impressions as I listen to these.

Great review!

May 29, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #424 of 877
That's...disappointing. Feeling more and more justified in ordering a third-party one now. Also plonked down some cash for the IEMatch so I can keep the OI the same regardless of what I'm plugging into.

Mail forwarder finally receipted my pair, My estimate is Friday next week (there's a public holiday here on Monday so even if they do get here over the weekend, Customs won't process it for at least a day.)

It’s well worth the wait :)

May 29, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #427 of 877
Considering this as well, interested in how it works for you.

I actually tested my MD+ with my iFi Nano BL with iEMatch + Measure mode. I feel like it gives the MD+ a bit better bass (more clear and controlled) but it doesn’t do that much more. Compared to my Comets + ER4XR which scale very, very nicely with more power.

May 30, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #428 of 877
Just got mine, only 10 songs in.

Pretty happy so far, very comfortable. Don’t think the cable is as bad as some made it out to be.

These open up nicely on the balanced cable with my radsone earstudio.

May 30, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #429 of 877
Here are my initial impressions:

Just for background info, I've owned several older IEM's in the past, and these are one of my newer purchases. I've owned the RE0, W3, MA750i, TF10, and the UE900s. For source I'm using the Centrance Dacport and D3.

Comfort: Ergonomics are great, and fits pretty flush to my ears. The nosel is ever so slightly too wide for my small ear canals, and I'm using the smallest double flange silicon tips. Shaving 1 mm or so would've made it perfect. If you don't have tiny ears like me it shouldn't be an issue.

Isolation: very good, no complaints

Built Quality: Fit and finish are okay. Nothing amazing in terms of build, but I like the subtle and nuanced look. I see some glue on the nosel tip that hasn't been polished off, but it's not a big deal. Packaging is very simple. The included cables are great, light and doesn't tangle easily.

Sound: To my ears the overall sound signature is pretty non-offensive and easy to listen to. The closest thing to compare that I've heard would be the Sennheiser Momentum over ear headphones that I gave away awhile ago. Nothing stands out, but don't see anyone that wouldn't enjoy them.
  • Highs: pretty articulate but lacks sparkle at the top. This isn't a bad thing as it makes it easier for longer listening sessions. There's no sibilance to my ears.
  • Mids; not recessed to my ears but slightly forward. Sounds pretty lush with some songs especially with vocals or jazz.
  • Lows: hits pretty low with plenty of quantity without feeling overpowering. It's more musical than clinical/articulate
  • Resolution: above average, but does feel a little congested at times (ie symphonies).
  • Sound stage: above average. Good width

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #430 of 877
So I tested these during my daily commute on a packed subway train for 40-45 mins:

Darn these isolation is good! I think this is achieved through its “custom-like” design (read the product page), which allows for deeper insertion and a better seal.

17EC5440-1524-472D-953E-C9B885F1C8FA.jpeg

Not the prettiest or solid feeling shells but they’re functional and get the job done. I’ve been listening to AM’s new album on these and they sound buttery smooth.

May 30, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #431 of 877
So I tested these during my daily commute on a packed subway train for 40-45 mins:

Darn these isolation is good! I think this is achieved through its “custom-like” design (read the product page), which allows for deeper insertion and a better seal.

Not the prettiest or solid feeling shells but they’re functional and get the job done. I’ve been listening to AM’s new album on these and they sound buttery smooth.

Personal question: How wide are your ear canals? I see you've got the small tips on there already, not sure how well that bodes for me.

May 30, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #432 of 877
Personal question: How wide are your ear canals? I see you've got the small tips on there already, not sure how well that bodes for me.

I actually have the medium ones on. The small are too small for me. I’ve never measured my ear canals so I can’t tell you haha.

Have you tried eartips from other brands? I noticed that it fits with Comply 400 which means a lot of other eartips work as well. Even my Campfire Comets tips work on it.

EDIT: All my iBasso IT01 tips work with it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #433 of 877
Mine haven't turned up yet, but my current DD (Icarus III) are compatible with the 400 and 500 series and I can't really deep-insert those...I've got small Symbio Ws on the way, I'll see if I can deep-insert those.

May 31, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #434 of 877
Mine haven't turned up yet, but my current DD (Icarus III) are compatible with the 400 and 500 series and I can't really deep-insert those...I've got small Symbio Ws on the way, I'll see if I can deep-insert those.

Give the small size double fangles a try as well.

May 31, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #435 of 877

What is AM? I'm trying to expand my music library so please don't mind my noob question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back