Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
May 27, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #406 of 877
People are actually making their own? Some that work, apparently (from thread):

Only the Null Audio was recommended at Massdrop?:
Another commenter here brought up Null Audio, they have a ~$22 USD cable with mic that should work (pick Westone/Noble/JH 2-pin termination).
https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...oducts/brevity-s-5n-occ-copper-earphone-cable

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/for-earphone/earphone-cable/silver-plated-replacement-cable.html

There are others, but no feedback as to wether they work. Any thoughts?
Thank for this.

May 28, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #407 of 877
Got mine a couple days ago. Thoughts so far:

• Glad I ordered the balanced cable, b/c the single-ended cable was DOA. (Right side no sound)
  • The included eartip selection is meh. Some of them were almost impossible to get over the nozzles, and the foam tips began to disintegrate in the attempt. The double flange ones are okay, though.
  • Spinfit CP155 has been the most comfortable/best sounding for me so far. Spiral dots also good but seem to be too short for how the Plus fit, at least with my ears
  • Sound is good, particularly the midrange. Treble a little bit rolled off, I guess? Which is my preference. Bass is okay. Isolation is okay. Soundstage is okay.
I think folks were asking about comparisons with the IT01 a few pages back? The Plus does not, I think, punch way above its weight like the IT01 does, and if you like the IT01's tuning, I would say that you're not missing much by skipping the Plus apart from a bit of detail. But if the IT01's congested or maybe just recessed midrange bothers you, and you aren't attached to dynamic bass, the Plus has a better tuning.

May 28, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #408 of 877
I have the ER4XR, Comets, IT01 and GR07 which I will be comparing the MD+ to once I recieve it.

My status is still processed at local distribution center...

May 28, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #409 of 877
I have the ER4XR, Comets, IT01 and GR07 which I will be comparing the MD+ to once I recieve it.

Don't forget to compare to your Bravados as well!

...I received my MD+ IEMs a few days ago and after 20+ hours burn, I think the MD+ is more articulate and airy than both the GR07 BE and IT01 and that it has a wider soundstage. In comparison to the MD+, the IT01's highs sound grainy and its lower mids and bass are less controlled (to the point of being woolly). However, the lower bass and especially the sub bass on the IT01 is stronger (in a good way) than the MD+ to the point where I find EDM more enjoyable on the IT01. So far, I think the MD+ is a better IEM than the IT01 except when I need to feel sub bass - I'm hoping the MD+ will gain more sub bass with use (or burn-in).

With regard to comfort, the MD+ are the most comfortable IEM in my limited collection. I rolled eartips (Spinfits, Complys, Sybios) and still ended up preferring my go-to Spiral Dots.

Source was a Mojo.

May 28, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #410 of 877

...I received my MD+ IEMs a few days ago and after 20+ hours burn, I think the MD+ is more articulate and airy than both the GR07 BE and IT01 and that it has a wider soundstage. In comparison to the MD+, the IT01's highs sound grainy and its lower mids and bass are less controlled (to the point of being woolly). However, the lower bass and especially the sub bass on the IT01 is stronger (in a good way) than the MD+ to the point where I find EDM more enjoyable on the IT01. So far, I think the MD+ is a better IEM than the IT01 except when I need to feel sub bass - I'm hoping the MD+ will gain more sub bass with use (or burn-in).

With regard to comfort, the MD+ are the most comfortable IEM in my limited collection. I rolled eartips (Spinfits, Complys, Sybios) and still ended up preferring my go-to Spiral Dots.

Source was a Mojo.

Highly doubt the MD+ will be able to compete with my EE (sub-bass king).

I understand your comparison between IT01 and MD+. BAs (even three of them) can’t reach the level of sub-bass a dynamic driver gives.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #411 of 877

Source was a Mojo.

Thanks I have the Spiral Dots on standby.

If one feels the MD+ has lesser sub bass I wonder how does ppl live with EtyS lol

May 28, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #412 of 877
Thanks I have the Spiral Dots on standby.

If one feels the MD+ has lesser sub bass I wonder how does ppl live with EtyS lol

You don’t listen to Ety for sub-bass. More for the trebles, instrumental layering and life-like vocals.

My EE Bravados have a lot of sub-bass but can’t play songs like Stairway to Heaven or a lot of bass-lite songs (ex: folk) compared to my ER4.

May 29, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #413 of 877

Source was a Mojo.
Uhmmmm, MD+ is an all BAs set up though so it will probably stay that way, no matter how much the amount of burn in you have.

May 29, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #415 of 877
Uhmmmm, MD+ is an all BAs set up though so it will probably stay that way, no matter how much the amount of burn in you have.
One has to have hope LOL
...but yeah, I can’t say that I’ve noticed any substantial change so far.

May 29, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #416 of 877
Highly doubt the MD+ will be able to compete with my EE (sub-bass king).

I understand your comparison between IT01 and MD+. BAs (even three of them) can’t reach the level of sub-bass a dynamic driver gives.
I’m looking forward to your review. Also comment on fit and comfort if you can.

May 29, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #418 of 877

Would love to hear your thoughts on the MD+. A lot of impressions and reviews by other audiophiles seem to be pretty polarizing. I've seen people say the clarity is excellent and others say that the clarity is murky, which can mean that they perceive it be of subpar clarity.

I personally have heard it but I'll keep my mouth shut for the time being. I suspect some people just perceive warmer, more lifelike vocals as clarity.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 29, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #419 of 877
Would love to hear your thoughts on the MD+. A lot of impressions and reviews by other audiophiles seem to be pretty polarizing. I've seen people say the clarity is excellent and others say that the clarity is murky, which can mean that they perceive it be of subpar clarity.

I personally have heard it but I'll keep my mouth shut for the time being. I suspect some people just perceive warmer, more lifelike vocals as clarity.

No worries. I’ve also listened to the AKG N5005 = the ultimate reference for detail and clarity and the Empire Ears Legend X = a very musical IEM. I have good IEMs to refer to.

May 29, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #420 of 877
They're delivered! Time to pick them up after work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back