Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Mar 25, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #977 of 9,211
Hi all,

It has been very interesting going through this thread to see that there are some non budget killing, great sounding cables out there to be had.

I picked up some RHA CL2's recently & have just ordered a couple of balanced SPC cables from Penon Audio. A 16 core, & a 8 core. I'm looking forward to hearing how much of a difference they make over the OEMs.

They are the:

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/isn-audio-h16.html

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/ourart-copper-mixed-silver-plated-mmcx-cable.html

Does anyone have any experience with them?
Hi all,

It has been very interesting going through this thread to see that there are some non budget killing, great sounding cables out there to be had.

I picked up some RHA CL2's recently & have just ordered a couple of balanced SPC cables from Penon Audio. A 16 core, & a 8 core. I'm looking forward to hearing how much of a difference they make over the OEMs.

They are the:

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/isn-audio-h16.html

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-cable/ourart-copper-mixed-silver-plated-mmcx-cable.html

Does anyone have any experience with them?

The H16 is ridiculously big. It's beautifully crafted but it is not very flexible. To be honest it is absolutely overkill. I was curious about the 16 core offerings but don't think it adds much value compared to a good 8 core.
I also received the Tin Hi-fi T3 and the cable is very nice. Great crafting, very supple just awesome. The Y splitter looks like a ISN hi-fi Y splitter, maybe they are the OEM producing the T3 cable?
20190325_202044.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #979 of 9,211
hey.
i've received cheap jc ally 4 thick cores dark blue cable. will add it to the list soon (cable 065).
superb conductivity (0.10mm*63*4c!) due to thickness; cheap plugs. it's cheap version of cable 125.
when doing ab with cable 130, i didn't like 065 at all at first minutes (lows degradation, forwarded mids and highs, too bright and thin, not clean sound). i kept doing ab, and it happened like with isn audio cables: quite better result. 5-10 minutes is enough. although it can't be compared with 130 cleanliness. edit: once again, quality of conductor material matters.
have to do some more ab with other cables, but i can say they are good for the price they cost. pity the quality of plugs (same plugs than cheap trn cable, guess the difference of resistance between signals, which happens in both cables, is due to the jack solders).
there is something strange related to the used wire. advertised as 7n occ (obviously false) at lunashops, and 1m of single wire costs almost the same than 4*1.2m+plugs jc ally cable. or lunashops' wire is an scam, or jc ally has got tons of it very cheap.

i plan to get nicehck new 8 cores and 16 cores cables, spc and copper, to try them and compare with cables in that segment of price (053, 052, 065..).
and maybe the more expensive https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32963189583.html , advertised as pure silver (which i doubt of); but i'm afraid it will be similar quality than cable 052 silver, which is cheaper. only way to know is purchasing it, but it's over $45, so dunno..

for quality high resolution iem, my recommendation is still the same: cables 130, 125, and 133 (these sales are a good chance to try 133 Gu's cables, they are not discounted frequently). 140, if you need a lighter thinner wire.

i ordered moondrop crescent last week. nice price for a supposedly well tuned dynamic driver.

Can you please link me to those cable 130, 125 and 133? Just to make sure im in the real deal.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #980 of 9,211
Thanks Hakuzen, I can't seem to find the values for cables 62 and 63, some nicehck 16 cores that I was eyeing previously. Thanks
yes, thanks, i know. haven't received them yet, so couldn't measure.. i'll fill measurements and comments then
Can you please link me to those cable 130, 125 and 133? Just to make sure im in the real deal.
the links i'm able to post are in my list, spoiler section, at the end of each cable comments.
you can find there the links for cable 130 and some links for cable 125. links for cables 133 can be found in my review of GUCraftsman cables (also linked in spoiler section of my list).
i've omitted any link to banned shops or brands

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #981 of 9,211
@hakuzen thanks for all your hard work!!
@Dsnuts are you getting any cables during the 28/03 sale?

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #982 of 9,211
hey.
i've received cheap jc ally 4 thick cores dark blue cable. will add it to the list soon (cable 065).
superb conductivity (0.10mm*63*4c!) due to thickness; cheap plugs. it's cheap version of cable 125.
when doing ab with cable 130, i didn't like 065 at all at first minutes (lows degradation, forwarded mids and highs, too bright and thin, not clean sound). i kept doing ab, and it happened like with isn audio cables: quite better result. 5-10 minutes is enough. although it can't be compared with 130 cleanliness. edit: once again, quality of conductor material matters.
have to do some more ab with other cables, but i can say they are good for the price they cost. pity the quality of plugs (same plugs than cheap trn cable, guess the difference of resistance between signals, which happens in both cables, is due to the jack solders).
there is something strange related to the used wire. advertised as 7n occ (obviously false) at lunashops, and 1m of single wire costs almost the same than 4*1.2m+plugs jc ally cable. or lunashops' wire is an scam, or jc ally has got tons of it very cheap.

i plan to get nicehck new 8 cores and 16 cores cables, spc and copper, to try them and compare with cables in that segment of price (053, 052, 065..).
and maybe the more expensive https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32963189583.html , advertised as pure silver (which i doubt of); but i'm afraid it will be similar quality than cable 052 silver, which is cheaper. only way to know is purchasing it, but it's over $45, so dunno..

for quality high resolution iem, my recommendation is still the same: cables 130, 125, and 133 (these sales are a good chance to try 133 Gu's cables, they are not discounted frequently). 140, if you need a lighter thinner wire.

i ordered moondrop crescent last week. nice price for a supposedly well tuned dynamic driver.

Great, I think i will go for Gu's cable this time !

Thanks for your efforts bro

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #983 of 9,211
the links i'm able to post are in my list, spoiler section, at the end of each cable comments.
you can find there the links for cable 130 and some links for cable 125. links for cables 133 can be found in my review of GUCraftsman cables (also linked in spoiler section of my list).
i've omitted any link to banned shops or brands

Got it! Thanks!

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #984 of 9,211
Any one tried 4 in 1 plug termination cables ?

I was searching for a cable for jh angie, i found 4 in 1 terminations for an extra 20$,

the terminations are as shown here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-i...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.10fd3c00hLzfmI

so regardless of the cable itself, i wonder if someone tried them before, is it a durable approach ? i dig it first because you get 4 terminations and also they are nearly right angled (just a bit huge right angle :D ) i love right angle

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #985 of 9,211
Any one tried 4 in 1 plug termination cables ?

I was searching for a cable for jh angie, i found 4 in 1 terminations for an extra 20$,

the terminations are as shown here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-i...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.269.10fd3c00hLzfmI

so regardless of the cable itself, i wonder if someone tried them before, is it a durable approach ? i dig it first because you get 4 terminations and also they are nearly right angled (just a bit huge right angle :D ) i love right angle
the cable you've linked uses same wire than cables 130-132, which is great. but, like you say, the plugs are a bit huge.
there are others with smaller angled plugs, but worse or unknown cable.
and there are plugs without cable, like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32919553180.html (but you'll have to solder your cable)

Mar 26, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #986 of 9,211
the cable you've linked uses same wire than cables 130-132, which is great. but, like you say, the plugs are a bit huge.
there are others with smaller angled plugs, but worse or unknown cable.
and there are plugs without cable, like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32919553180.html (but you'll have to solder your cable)

Thats not the cable i found for jh angie but i put it for the pics of the 4 plugs,

well, diy is always a great idea, but i rather use my soldering skills in fixing any of my cables in case it is messed up (it is already messed up what is the worse that could happen :D) , but i wouldn't count on my skills to get the parts and do it myself :D , i know it won't be that hard job may be i will get some cheap stuff to try with first.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #987 of 9,211
@hakuzen thanks for all your hard work!!
@Dsnuts are you getting any cables during the 28/03 sale?

I got news that MD will be shipping my Zeus soon. I am gonna wait till I get it and see what I want for a cable. I have a good idea though. I am happy with current cables. I bought so much stuff toward the end of last year I have slowed down. No need for more cables but I always say that.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #989 of 9,211
@hakuzen what is your best reco for a light & highly flexible 4 cores cable 4.4 ended around usd30? (whatever being MMCX or 2pin since I'll cut the connector anyway to solder on earbuds)
Thanks!
it's been long since i've used a 4 cores cable. don't know which to recommend.
if 8 cores (yes, i know you have to solder two wires to each point at the earbuds; if you tin both wires together, it shouldn't add much difficulty), if you need extreme thin and flexible wire, super cheap cable 061 could do the job (although i haven't listened music nor measured them). jack and plugs of cables 052 use to be easily repairable (they can be unscrewed, not glued), so you'll be able to re-use the plugs in the future. very well built, very light and flexible, probably one of the best sounding at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back