Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Nov 27, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #736 of 3,520
Just as a preamble, I still waiting to receive LPGT review sample and only had the opportunity to play with a short term loaner from MusicTeck (who will be distributing it in US very soon). Also, in the last few months Lotoo released close to half a dozen of fw updates, finally implementing all the features their originally promised, along with a lot of optimizations which obviously indirectly affect the sound performance. They were waiting to finalize FW, and then make LPGT available globally for sale, that is a reason for delay. I did take notes which I wasn't planing to share until I have review unit, but i'm getting way too much "pressure" from you guys/gals asking me to share initial Impressions, along with a brief comparison to LPG, SPK SS, WM1Z, DX200Ti, and N8 (which I have to return soon after my recent review). So, I probably going to put something together in a week or so.

Regarding the sound, from what I understand, Lotoo was never planning to update the signature. Keep in mind, LPG was released 4 years ago, and last year 2017 refresh was mostly cosmetic with a few internal optimizations. And even after release of Touch, LPG is still in production and not discontinued. The idea behind LPGT is to enhance LPG with missing features, to bring it up to current flagship standards.

In terms of sounds signature, it's indeed very similar, except you no longer hear LPG's sub-bass boost, instead LPGT is more neutral and more reference. In terms of sound performance, LPGT over-sampling has a noticeable improvement in terms of layering and sound dynamics. The biggest change to my ears is that LPGT is dead quiet even with the most sensitive IEMs, while for those who tried LPG with sensitive iems like Andromeda, Solaris, Zeus, etc - you will know how bad it hisses. But overall, I think Lotoo tried to stick to the same sound sig formula and if you think about it, this is quite impressive considering LPG uses PCM1762 while LPGT uses AKM4497EQ DACs. Coincidentally, LPGT 3.5mm output uses the same LME49600 opamp as LPG, and even its 4.4mm output with OA1622 opamps tuned to sound nearly the same as 3.5mm output. Lotoo likes their signature sound and wants to keep it in the new model, I guess. Even all the same PMEQ and ATE effects are there.

The big difference is in the features. LPG is a non-touch screen, push button/d-pad, playback ONLY device with a proprietary wall charger. There is no Bluetooth, no USB DAC, no wired or wireless connection to your smartphone/tablet, no charging through usb port, and no over-the-air (OTA WiFi) firmware updates. Touch adds all of that. You have USB DAC, you have Bluetooth, you have duplex Bluetooth so you can turn Touch into a wireless USB DAC (streaming from your phone), you have USB charging, you have touch screen, you have updated Parametric EQ II, you have the same PMEQ and ATE effects as in LPG which you can apply in USB DAC and Bluetooth modes, including Parametric EQ, and you can even update firmware over WiFi now. You also get on-the-fly over sampling, and support of DSD512. Plus, you have Line Out from both 3.5mm and balanced 4.4mm if you want to drive external fully balanced amplifier.

Bottom line, there are a lot of similarities in sound between LPG and LPGT, but I think it was done intentionally. LPGT is like an Extreme Makeover of LPG, if you want to put it that way :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #737 of 3,520
I understand and agree that the Lotion Paw Gold Touch is a very capable portable music player, but why no Tidal streaming ? I don't want to stream from my phone via Bluetooth LDAC 990kpbs when the player supports up to DSD512 native. :frowning2:
I am still hoping that they will listen and implement the application.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #738 of 3,520
I understand and agree that the Lotion Paw Gold Touch is a very capable portable music player, but why no Tidal streaming ? I don't want to stream from my phone via Bluetooth LDAC 990kpbs when the player supports up to DSD512 native. :frowning2:
Why not USB-DAC ?

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #739 of 3,520

The "native" Tidal app has its limitations, the reason why A&K now switched to apk side-loading. Besides, Spotify, Qobuz, Bandcamp, Sirius XM, Pandora are a lot more popular, not too mention Tidal constantly running out of money and threatens to shutdown... Duplex LDAC Wireless (BT) is the easiest implementation with less headaches for many manufacturers with flagships like LPGT, N8, R2R2000, and even budget DAPs like Shanling M0, though their latest flagship M5s will add native Tidal support in addition to duplex BT. Plus, this way manufacturers can implement their own optimized non-Android OS.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #740 of 3,520
@twister6 , what are the limitations of Tidal? Sounds great to me...are any of the others you list stream at red book CD rates? Thanks!

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #741 of 3,520
@twister6 , what are the limitations of Tidal? Sounds great to me...are any of the others you list stream at red book CD rates? Thanks!

I don't use Tidal, but been told that built-in app doesn't allow off-line listening/downloads like a regular android app.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #742 of 3,520
Thanks! Mine does allow downloads with a simple switch on the play queue, but not being an Android user, I don’t know whether it does it like an Android app.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #743 of 3,520
The "native" Tidal app has its limitations, the reason why A&K now switched to apk side-loading. Besides, Spotify, Qobuz, Bandcamp, Sirius XM, Pandora are a lot more popular, not too mention Tidal constantly running out of money and threatens to shutdown... Duplex LDAC Wireless (BT) is the easiest implementation with less headaches for many manufacturers with flagships like LPGT, N8, R2R2000, and even budget DAPs like Shanling M0, though their latest flagship M5s will add native Tidal support in addition to duplex BT. Plus, this way manufacturers can implement their own optimized non-Android OS.
I understand what you are saying but I am still not convinced.At this price point i would like to see some streaming applications developed. For example : if I decide to buy a high end headphone, I want nothing but real leather earpads, no protein later, or anything else similar. That's what I like.
I am still hoping that in the future they will take such thing into consideration in one of their frequent firmware updates.

Nov 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #745 of 3,520

Did an un-box but the stuff was so tight in box I started dropping F-bombs left right and center. Will take it out it's sleeve tomorrow and do another vid. Feels nice, looks nice...time to listen.

looks like its the one to go after, enjoy

Nov 28, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #747 of 3,520

Did an un-box but the stuff was so tight in box I started dropping F-bombs left right and center. Will take it out it's sleeve tomorrow and do another vid. Feels nice, looks nice...time to listen.

Chris, when you are playing with it, check out a sick animation, when you are in the Playback screen you can get back to the Main screen by swiping your finger up. As you do it slowly, you can see how the screen shrinks up until it disappears following your finger going up. When I had LPGT loaner, I probably spent 5min like an idiot going up/down in amusement LOL!!! Captured it in pictures too. Smooth animation and you can do it during the playback too.

lpgt-33.jpg lpgt-34.jpg lpgt-35.jpg lpgt-36.jpg

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #748 of 3,520
Quick question, is there a change language setting, I know the Gold has it? I just bought one from a fellow Head-fi but it's half in Korean and half English because they couldn't translate the rest to Korean.

*After reading the Japanese manual, you can't change the language. I would need to update with a English version firmware. The Japanese version only have Japanese language, etc.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #749 of 3,520
Who is the United States distributor for Lotoo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back