Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Nov 14, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #721 of 3,519
Sony had said the DMP project is 5 years in the making, which makes it pre dates the Hugo TT.
The concept might have been worked on for 5 years, but it is unclear when the entire unit was put together. For instance, the AKM chip only came out two years ago, hugo tt came out in 2015 if i remember correctly. They can't possibly claim to be designing around a DAC chip that was not even out.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #722 of 3,519
The concept might have been worked on for 5 years, but it is unclear when the entire unit was put together. For instance, the AKM chip only came out two years ago, hugo tt came out in 2015 if i remember correctly. They can't possibly claim to be designing around a DAC chip that was not even out.

It’s the concept that counts in this case for one to claim Sony have Hugo TT in mind as an inspiration for the design, which wouldn’t make sense if the project predates the rival product.

Also the AKM chip is just a revision of a known design family, it’s entirely possible they were using a prototype provided to them by AKM to make the basic design and then drop the chip into the project and fine tune the rest, being Japanese companies would make it even easier to collaborate as well. I’m sure AKM was probably thrilled that Sony of all people would become a potential customer of their chips and was extra helpful in providing assistance for them. It would also explain why Sony didn’t tap all the features of the chip, the design probably was based on something they didn’t know before the chip was completely finalised and they didn’t want to move the project goal once they did know about it.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #723 of 3,519
It’s the concept that counts in this case for one to claim Sony have Hugo TT in mind as an inspiration for the design, which wouldn’t make sense if the project predates the rival product.

Also the AKM chip is just a revision of a known design family, it’s entirely possible they were using a prototype provided to them by AKM to make the basic design and then drop the chip into the project and fine tune the rest, being Japanese companies would make it even easier to collaborate as well. I’m sure AKM was probably thrilled that Sony of all people would become a potential customer of their chips and was extra helpful in providing assistance for them. It would also explain why Sony didn’t tap all the features of the chip, the design probably was based on something they didn’t know before the chip was completely finalised and they didn’t want to move the project goal once they did know about it.
I would argue, they had an idea to make something, something to compete against the AK (hence the WM family) than hugo came and they further enhanced their design. Who knows what the idea was at first, and how it evolved to what it is now.
But in show environment sometimes the designers tend to say things they shouldn't, like sometimes saying they can't hear the difference between hi-res.

Looking at HUGO thread, you can see how many users wished they had a screen for their hugo/hugoTT.

Anyways, good to see the release of crazy products like DMP-Z1, it brings new life to this hobby, and one can only hope for the trickle down of those designs into something cheaper.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #724 of 3,519
I would argue, they had an idea to make something, something to compete against the AK (hence the WM family) than hugo came and they further enhanced their design. Who knows what the idea was at first, and how it evolved to what it is now.
But in show environment sometimes the designers tend to say things they shouldn't, like sometimes saying they can't hear the difference between hi-res.

Looking at HUGO thread, you can see how many users wished they had a screen for their hugo/hugoTT.

Anyways, good to see the release of crazy products like DMP-Z1, it brings new life to this hobby, and one can only hope for the trickle down of those designs into something cheaper.

I would say that looking back 5 years ago and what sort of equipment was available then, the design of the DMP-Z1 makes even more sense than it being an answer to the Hugo TT.

5+ years ago I was playing with iPods hooked up to Fostex HP-P1 and owned several portable analogue amps, portable amps of all sizes and design was WAY more popular and a much more recommended purchase than what we have now and standalone DAPs/battery players were nowhere near the quality to what we have now. Internally Sony was probably just getting ready to make their current generation S-Master chip to replace their ZX2 as well as developing their WM1 series so they already have a rough idea what they can and cannot achieve with their new chip (which would also nicely explains their decision to go with a traditional DAC+Class A amp design in the Z1). Knowing that the Walkman team said one of the inspiration for the Z1 was that from direct users feedback whom want an all in one transportable player that rivals a stationary system, 5 years ago the portable audio market would be that sort of time for someone to think they don't want to mess with interconnects and portable analog amps and underpowered DAPs (especially if you were a Sony ZX1/ZX2 owner - the 15mW ZX series would drive you mad in its inability to drive anything bigger than an IEM). This would seem much more likely to be the original inspiration rather than a direct answer to a Hugo TT IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #726 of 3,519
I wonder how gapless is on the touch; especially with ALAC.

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #727 of 3,519
Paw Touch looks much better than Paw Gold.
Paw Gold looks so old fashioned... Paw Gold looks like it's from mid 90's.
Paw Touch, on the other hand, looks like from early 2000's. That's a big improvement.

While I'm sure most people these days will agree with you, there are still few of us (or at least myself) who see this very differently. To me Touch looks like just another generic and boring touch phone device, while the original Gold has a very distinctive look and is very functional as is.
I love physical buttons and am completely turned off by the the touch for that reason. I have no need for any additional functionality on the music player, other than reliably playing music from the SD card (so bluetooth, wifi, streaming, are all unnecessary features that just waste battery life).
Having said this Tera player which has no screen whatsoever is still my all time favorite music player (gives up something to the Gold in SQ but makes up for it in even simpler design with those beautiful tactile buttons you can feel and operate in your jeans pocket without even taking the device out).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #728 of 3,519
While I'm sure most people these days will agree with you, there are still few of us (or at least myself) who see this very differently. To me Touch looks like just another generic and boring touch phone device, while the original Gold has a very distinctive look and is very functional as is.
I love physical buttons and am completely turned off by the the touch for that reason. I have no need for any additional functionality on the music player, other than reliably playing music from the SD card (so bluetooth, wifi, streaming, are all unnecessary features that just waste battery life).
Having said this Tera player which has no screen whatsoever is still my all time favorite music player (gives up something to the Gold in SQ but makes up for it in even simpler design with those beautiful tactile buttons you can feel and operate in your jeans pocket without even taking the device out).

I have the Paw Gold Diana purchased in 2017 and I prefer its look over the touch as well. It looks like it's straight out of a science-fiction film, and therein lies the charm.

Nov 26, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #729 of 3,519
I have the Paw Gold Diana purchased in 2017 and I prefer its look over the touch as well. It looks like it's straight out of a science-fiction film, and therein lies the charm.

So what you are saying, you don't care about the Touch which has 3sec boot up time, 3.5mm and 4.4mm ports, each with 500mW output with separate gain and balance control and selectable as headphone out or Line out, fast USB-C charging, USB DAC functionality which works with your computer and smartphone (usb otg), dual LDAC Bluetooth to pair up with headphones or to use as Bluetooth Wireless DAC to stream from your smartphone, updated Parametric EQ II, fast touch interface, dead quiet noise floor even with sensitive iems, and a separate AKM chip to do oversampling on the fly upto DSD256? Yeah, you probably don't need that... :D

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #730 of 3,519
So what you are saying, you don't care about the Touch which has 3sec boot up time, 3.5mm and 4.4mm ports, each with 500mW output with separate gain and balance control and selectable as headphone out or Line out, fast USB-C charging, USB DAC functionality which works with your computer and smartphone (usb otg), dual LDAC Bluetooth to pair up with headphones or to use as Bluetooth Wireless DAC to stream from your smartphone, updated Parametric EQ II, fast touch interface, dead quiet noise floor even with sensitive iems, and a separate AKM chip to do oversampling on the fly upto DSD256? Yeah, you probably don't need that... :D

I don't doubt that the Touch is incredible. I am still getting tons of utility from Diana, so I am not in upgrade or sidegrade mode yet. I also own Sony NW-WM1A and Questyle QP1R. I have my eyes on Focal Utopia or Meze Empyrean...heading in headphone direction now, as I have three very capable players. I also never stream nor use my phone in the chain. I also gave up IEMs because I hate the feeling of things sticking in my ears...I don't use USB DAC either. 100% portable self-contained. I hate being tied to an amp or computer.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #731 of 3,519
I don't doubt that the Touch is incredible. I am still getting tons of utility from Diana, so I am not in upgrade or sidegrade mode yet. I also own Sony NW-WM1A and Questyle QP1R. I have my eyes on Focal Utopia or Meze Empyrean...heading in headphone direction now, as I have three very capable players. I also never stream nor use my phone in the chain. I also gave up IEMs because I hate the feeling of things sticking in my ears...I don't use USB DAC either. 100% portable self-contained. I hate being tied to an amp or computer.

I can hardly feel my iem's, I wouldn't want to try the deep insertion type though. Headphones need more power generally and I feel self conscious walking down the street with them on. I've sold all my desk top stuff, much prefer to be untethered. I also find iem's more intimate. Though each to their own.
Would like to hear the LPGT and compare it with my Opus#2.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #732 of 3,519
I can hardly feel my iem's, I wouldn't want to try the deep insertion type though. Headphones need more power generally and I feel self conscious walking down the street with them on. I've sold all my desk top stuff, much prefer to be untethered. I also find iem's more intimate. Though each to their own.
Would like to hear the LPGT and compare it with my Opus#2.

I may give in ear monitors another whirl at some point. I am listening to Hope Sandoval on AKG K812 s and Diana right now and it is beautiful!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #733 of 3,519
I just hope that all this great features add up to a an exceptional good sound, too. When I remember correctly, Mim wasn't excited when he compared the LPGT with his LPG. So I'm really looking forward to reading your review ... hopefully soon! :wink:

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #734 of 3,519
I just hope that all this great features add up to a an exceptional good sound, too. When I remember correctly, Mim wasn't excited when he compared the LPGT with his LPG. So I'm really looking forward to reading your review ... hopefully soon! :wink:
Ill add, after four tines demoing the Touch it was not better nor too different from the Paw Gold.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #735 of 3,519
I must say, I sure LOVE my Lotoo PAW Gold. About a year ago, I started switching to balanced headphones, purchasing the new two top-of-the-line Grados (PS2000e and GS2000e) in balanced form and rewiring some others (Fostex TH900 and Sony Z7) for balanced, as well as getting the FiiO FH5 IEM with balanced cable. The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch was announced at the time, adding a balanced drive capability to the PAW Gold, and I communicated directly with Lotoo pleading to buy one. They told me it would be available in the US about 6 months later, in June 2018.

Since then, I went on to upgrade my desktop to fully balanced (Schiit Gungir Multibit DAC and Mjolnir 2 amp), and I have both a Sony PHA-3 and got a FiiO X5 iii, both with balanced capability. After all that, I cannot claim to hear any reproducible difference between balanced and single ended!

I’ve also fallen out of love with the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch, as I saw no benefit over the PAW Gold other than balanced, which I cannot hear, and lots of disadvantage (touch screen is a step down from that beautiful starburst gold circular rocker switch and other buttons).

Furthermore, here it is a year later, and as far as I can tell, the LPGT is barely becoming available in the US. It does not surprise me that reports of its sound are not greatly better than the PAW Gold sound, as to me that sound is perfect!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back