Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #526 of 889
The Lotoo has tons of features; especially bluetooth.  So that is in its favor.

On the downside, I think the sound quality is decidedly mediocre.    I could not bear to invest the proper amount of time to do a full review when there are so many other machines calling my name.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #527 of 889
Hmm, so many mixed opinions. >_>

Well it's about audio, so it's bound to be. I've read some great reviews about such & such a DAP and yet it wouldn't do the job I need it to, so I have to move on until the one with the most ticks against my list shows its head, and suffer the niggles. And I think it's the same whatever you choose. Since each company strives for perfection in 'its' niche of individuality that changes across its range of players, is it any wonder that this 'hobby' is so expensive trying to find all the pieces of the jigsaw that work together for 'your' kind of music tastes. IF (a BIG if) you found a player that ticks the main boxes you need it too, but fails in some areas that are still essential, then you need a separate and perhaps to change your intended IEM's or headphones.

By the time your finished and the money you've gone through, you'll wish you plumped for the Gold to begin with LOL.

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #528 of 889

Hmm, so many mixed opinions. >_>

Well it's about audio, so it's bound to be. I've read some great reviews about such & such a DAP and yet it wouldn't do the job I need it to, so I have to move on until the one with the most ticks against my list shows its head, and suffer the niggles. And I think it's the same whatever you choose. Since each company strives for perfection in 'its' niche of individuality that changes across its range of players, is it any wonder that this 'hobby' is so expensive trying to find all the pieces of the jigsaw that work together for 'your' kind of music tastes. IF (a BIG if) you found a player that ticks the main boxes you need it too, but fails in some areas that are still essential, then you need a separate and perhaps to change your intended IEM's or headphones.

By the time your finished and the money you've gone through, you'll wish you plumped for the Gold to begin with LOL.

... and when you finally buy LPG, Lotoo will release a new version
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #531 of 889
Any recommendations for best Iem's paired with the Lotoo Paw 5000 under$200?I want to use it w/o an amp(I have the Oppo Ha-2 and it will drive all my headphones but solely want  a great IEM w/o the use of  an amp)I am open to any suggestions.Tx!!!

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #535 of 889
The Lotoo has tons of features; especially bluetooth.  So that is in its favor.

On the downside, I think the sound quality is decidedly mediocre.    I could not bear to invest the proper amount of time to do a full review when there are so many other machines calling my name.

Agree. IMHO, the sound quality is mediocre comparing the price. However it has many feature which is harder to find in its price bracket.

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #536 of 889
  if you care about battery life try the A series walkman, they dont sound bad too. 

I am actually considering between a Paw 5000, a recent A series Sony (A26,27, I love the Sony sound) and a Cowon Plenue D. My preference is a mid - rich warm sound with the widest soundstage possible. If anyone has anything to add here, I welcome it 
beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #537 of 889

if you care about battery life try the A series walkman, they dont sound bad too. 

I am actually considering between a Paw 5000, a recent A series Sony (A26,27, I love the Sony sound) and a Cowon Plenue D. My preference is a mid - rich warm sound with the widest soundstage possible. If anyone has anything to add here, I welcome it 
beerchug.gif

Been a while since I listened, but I don't recall thinking the PAW 5000 was warm or rich. Have you considered getting a DX50? They are inexpensive, very capable, have a touch of midbass warmth and a wide soundstage for the price. They also can do USB OTG and standalone DAC work like a yeoman for Windows, Mac and Linux. The DX50 also has user replaceable (Samsung S3) batteries. I think the no frills OS on the PAW 5000 is snappier, and I liked the sound quality, but I'm not sure it is what you are looking for.

I haven't heard the Plenue D, but I've liked Cowon in the past. I still have my first ever player, a Cowon D2+.

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #538 of 889
  Been a while since I listened, but I don't recall thinking the PAW 5000 was warm or rich. Have you considered getting a DX50? They are inexpensive, very capable, have a touch of midbass warmth and a wide soundstage for the price. They also can do USB OTG and standalone DAC work like a yeoman for Windows, Mac and Linux. The DX50 also has user replaceable (Samsung S3) batteries. I think the no frills OS on the PAW 5000 is snappier, and I liked the sound quality, but I'm not sure it is what you are looking for.

I haven't heard the Plenue D, but I've liked Cowon in the past. I still have my first ever player, a Cowon D2+.

Thanks! I never considered any Ibasso player, it's because I have zero experience with them. Will learn more about the DX-50. Thanks again 
happy_face1.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #539 of 889
I managed to source a PAW 5000 much much cheaper than retail, so I can chime in soon with general thoughts.

I'm partly doing this for personal experience due to the mixed opinions and impressions on PAW 5000.

Its really no problem which way this cookie crumbles. As Head-fi says 'the only real way is hands on experience'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back