Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #557 of 889

I'm only using high gain, leaving the dampening mode in "L."

If I understand correctly low dampening is adding 40ohms impedance to your headphones from PAW 5000 headphone out.

I would do some reading up on output impedance and how it effects different headphones and IEMs.

If you find anything interesting pop back and tell us. 
smile.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #558 of 889
From my experience the extra impedance really messes with the sound... I don't see too much of a reason to use the low dampen. it changes the sound quite a bit

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #559 of 889
  From my experience the extra impedance really messes with the sound... I don't see too much of a reason to use the low dampen. it changes the sound quite a bit

I absolutely agree with this. I used high damping all the time after comparing. It is a much clearer sound.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #560 of 889
Those with low impedance multi-armature IEMs will want 1.8ohm output impedance (high dampening) absolutely, otherwise you can really screw up the frequency response of your IEMs. In the case of ASpencer, he seems to prefer low dampening with some of his headphones which isn't so much a problem 'if' it suits him.

I know I'll definitely be using the 1.8ohm setting at all times.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #561 of 889

The Lotoo line pair superbly with Alpha Design Lab's headphones and IEMs.  The ADL-H128 is the perfect marriage coupled with the Lotoo Paw Gold.  The ADL-H118, which can be dull with other DAPs, comes alive when added to the Lotoo Paw 5000.  Likewise, ADL's EH-008 perform much better with the Lotoo Paw 5000 wherein alongside other players they can sound thin.

Thanks, I will look into ADL.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #562 of 889

If I understand correctly low dampening is adding 40ohms impedance to your headphones from PAW 5000 headphone out.

I would do some reading up on output impedance and how it effects different headphones and IEMs.

If you find anything interesting pop back and tell us. 
smile.gif

No need, as I'm not alone.  We all have our preferences.

http://topnewreview.com/lotoo-paw-5000/

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #563 of 889
  In the case of ASpencer, he seems to prefer low dampening with some of his headphones which isn't so much a problem 'if' it suits him.

I know I'll definitely be using the 1.8ohm setting at all times.

I'm only referring to my use of the ADL brand with the Lotoo Paw 5000 as far as leaving "damp" set to "L" although, depending on the recording, sometimes I set it to "H," but don't leave it there due to the driver crossover in their brand of IEMs and what I hear.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #564 of 889
I'm only referring to my use of the ADL brand with the Lotoo Paw 5000 as far as leaving "damp" set to "L" although, depending on the recording, sometimes I set it to "H," but don't leave it there due to the driver crossover in their brand of IEMs and what I hear.

Yes, you've got the right idea.

All my main gear are low impedance hybrid IEM's so I'll need the 1.8ohm output impedance.

Kind of confusing how high dampening represents the low output impedance and visa versa though..

May 3, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #565 of 889
My PAW 5000 arrived today after a little mishap in postage, not sure what happened there.

I think it isn't without a few little niggles but I don't understand what everyone is on about, I find it sounds quite good with Tralucent Ref.1.
Some things are it lacks a little power in low gain, you'll be cranking the volume up to the last 3-4 notches when running low impedance IEMs, not sure if this was intended in the design. When you select the volume there's a tiny bit of lag before it responses not too bad. Its about the size of FiiO X1, maybe slightly smaller in foot-print, much smaller than online photos have you believe.
I heard some hiss in high-gain with Tralcent Ref.1 which was a little concerning, no such problems in low-gain.
I think may be focused towards IEMs (within reason) as the output power is just standard in low-gain, you won't be driving anything too demanding, haven't tried anything in high-gain that needs power. I much prefer the high dampening setting which we've spoken about previously.

Sound: Its quite mid-range detailed and holds nice refinement and skilled in separation, the layering on the left/right channels is a stand out feature, I using the Tralucent earphones (1Plus2 / Ref.1) I really don't understand all the underwhelming comments on sound quality. I find I prefer it over iBasso DX50 and it can stand up to Cayin N5 especially in regards to revealing mid-range detail.
The build is so-so, a little plasticky but hey, its getting the job done, the UI works and gets around nicely, there are a few things I don't like about folder browsing I'll touch on another time.
At the moment I'm extremely happy I went ahead, and if it wasn't for a certain member recommending it to me I'd have disregarded after reading this thread.

May 3, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #566 of 889
  My PAW 5000 arrived today after a little mishap in postage, not sure what happened there.

I think it isn't without a few little niggles but I don't understand what everyone is on about, I find it sounds quite good with Tralucent Ref.1.
Some things are it lacks a little power in low gain, you'll be cranking the volume up to the last 3-4 notches when running low impedance IEMs, not sure if this was intended in the design. When you select the volume there's a tiny bit of lag before it responses not too bad. Its about the size of FiiO X1, maybe slightly smaller in foot-print, much smaller than online photos have you believe.
I heard some hiss in high-gain with Tralcent Ref.1 which was a little concerning, no such problems in low-gain.
I think may be focused towards IEMs (within reason) as the output power is just standard in low-gain, you won't be driving anything too demanding, haven't tried anything in high-gain that needs power. I much prefer the high dampening setting which we've spoken about previously.

Sound: Its quite mid-range detailed and holds nice refinement and skilled in separation, the layering on the left/right channels is a stand out feature, I using the Tralucent earphones (1Plus2 / Ref.1) I really don't understand all the underwhelming comments on sound quality. I find I prefer it over iBasso DX50 and it can stand up to Cayin N5 especially in regards to revealing mid-range detail.
The build is so-so, a little plasticky but hey, its getting the job done, the UI works and gets around nicely, there are a few things I don't like about folder browsing I'll touch on another time.
At the moment I'm extremely happy I went ahead, and if it wasn't for a certain member recommending it to me I'd have disregarded after reading this thread.

Glad it arrived, good feedback. I have yet to hear it but enough of you guys that have to make me know it will be better than my old ipod and the basic way it works (folder structure) is how I keep stuff but the bluetooth drives me to want it so I can lose cables. Any input on using via BT would be appreciated if you can :)

Thx H2O

May 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #567 of 889

Glad it arrived, good feedback. I have yet to hear it but enough of you guys that have to make me know it will be better than my old ipod and the basic way it works (folder structure) is how I keep stuff but the bluetooth drives me to want it so I can lose cables. Any input on using via BT would be appreciated if you can :)

Thx H2O

It will sound better than an iPod no problems there.

When you actually receive it you'll be surprised how small it is, about the size you just place directly in your top shirt pocket. Then when you think of the size compared to the sound that comes out it makes you smile. I won't say its the best DAP there ever was but it sounds quite good if you're earphones are capable of showing it. Quite neutral, uncoloured just lets the earphone do the work with a nice touch of mid-range focus. I doubled back to DX50 and Cayin N5 earlier but was obvious I prefer the PAW 5000, at least with Ref.1. Good little DAP.

I don't use Bluetooth sorry, not my area.

May 3, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #568 of 889

Thx H2O

Ah... I can chip in a bit about BT... One of the reasons it travels with me along with its older sibling on the road, other than amazing battery life and excellent SQ, is I connect it via BT to my Bose SoundLink 2 when I'm in the hotel room. No issues with BT there. :)

May 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #569 of 889

It will sound better than an iPod no problems there.

When you actually receive it you'll be surprised how small it is, about the size you just place directly in your top shirt pocket. Then when you think of the size compared to the sound that comes out it makes you smile. I won't say its the best DAP there ever was but it sounds quite good if you're earphones are capable of showing it. Quite neutral, uncoloured just lets the earphone do the work with a nice touch of mid-range focus. I doubled back to DX50 and Cayin N5 earlier but was obvious I prefer the PAW 5000, at least with Ref.1. Good little DAP.

I don't use Bluetooth sorry, not my area.

I've seen it, I knew where to get it locally (just saw a couple of nights ago the entire mall where I 'could' buy it has been closed down - bummer. I think I got their biz card so hopefully when the time comes I can contact them), I just don't have the money to buy it, the card, the IEM's etc etc as a job lot yet.

Thx

May 3, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #570 of 889
Ah... I can chip in a bit about BT... One of the reasons it travels with me along with its older sibling on the road, other than amazing battery life and excellent SQ, is I connect it via BT to my Bose SoundLink 2 when I'm in the hotel room. No issues with BT there.
smily_headphones1.gif

But your not using any BT IEM's yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back