Lotoo PAW 5000: Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #496 of 889
Is it any way to pause it when the screen is off?

Feb 27, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #497 of 889
That would be nice to know if and how this is possible, I really miss this option too, the same for skip track back and forward, this can only used if the screen is on too.

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #498 of 889
Skipping tracks back and forward is possible with the screen off. Just long press the volume buttons.

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #499 of 889
  Skipping tracks back and forward is possible with the screen off. Just long press the volume buttons.

Exactly, and I hope they will update the fw to add Play/Pause control with a screen off, similar to PAW Gold.  I'm planning to use PAW5k with Micro iDSD (optical toslink IC), so would have been nice to have full control of the playback.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #500 of 889
Did my measurements today with the Lotoo PAW 5000:

Lotoo PAW 5000 with a 32 Ohm Dummy Load, small bass and treble roll off, reference my Creative E-MU 0404 linear input.

Lotoo PAW 5000 compared Low Gain, High Gain, Line Out.

Lotoo PAW 5000 compared all on Low Gain, but compared Damp to High and Low.

My measurements with Multimeter are the following:

Lotoo PAW 5000 output impedance ~ 1,8 ohms with Damp set to "High"

Lotoo PAW 5000 output impedance ~ 40 ohms with Damp set to "Low"

This matches as well with the RMAA measurements. But why is Damp "High" = low output impedance and Damp "Low" = high output impedance, don't understand the idea behind, the opposite would make more sense to me.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #502 of 889
I have not followed this thread extensively.  I was loaned the unit for about a week.  

Based on looking at the reviews it would appear that my view would be in the minority.

If this unit was about $99 I would say "wow" what a deal.   But at $299 I look for a more clear sound signature, official support for hi res above 96khz, and a less cheap or plastic feel.  Not to mention the low power output or a user interface that looks like an ugly variant of Rockbox.

I was seriously underwhelmed.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #503 of 889
I have not followed this thread extensively.  I was loaned the unit for about a week.  

Based on looking at the reviews it would appear that my view would be in the minority.

If this unit was about $99 I would say "wow" what a deal.   But at $299 I look for a more clear sound signature, official support for hi res above 96khz, and a less cheap or plastic feel.  Not to mention the low power output or a user interface that looks like an ugly variant of Rockbox.

I don't think build quality is the greatest - in fact the gain switch just fell off mine the other day. I quite like the spartan user interface but it takes a bit of getting used to. Hi res above 96khz is unnecessary for a lot of people. To be honest I think it's a con and a waste of money.

It does have a warm tilt but that's what a lot of people like. Isn't your criticism of the sound based on the PAW 5000 not matching your particular preferences? I think it sounds as good as any DAP in its price range. It's not like it costs 3k and sounds no better than players costing a fraction of that price.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #504 of 889

Hi, without getting into "the" details, what would you spend your $299 on that meets your quality and sound expectations?

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #505 of 889
Personally I can't see why I would even remotely consider a unit at this price point that can't play 24 - 192 without downrezzing the music.   For gosh sake, the FIIO X1 can play that and it costs $100.

The unit I would consider, unless bluetooth is a big deal for you, is the Shanling M2.  $250 and sounds like sonic bliss.  I think that unit punches above the FIIO X5 Gen II, which I realize is heresy around here but so it goes.  And yes, I am something of a FIIO fan boy for what it is worth.

The FIIO X3 Gen II at $200 or less is also a great value; though slightly warmer than the Shanling.  But the FIIO is much more musical to my ear than the Lotoo.

I hear good things about Cayin, etc. but do not have any experience with those.  And I hear the Lotoo Gold is phenomenal; so I do not know how the PAW5000 missed the mark by so much to my way of thinking.

Like I said, at $99 I would be all over these but they aren't $99.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #506 of 889
  Did I mention the proprietary USB cable is annoying?  Well, it is proprietary and it is annoying.

It's a USB 3.0 connector I think. A standard micro USB cable can be plugged into one side of the same socket on the PAW5000. The 3.0 connection allows for better transfer rates at the same time you do get the option to use the more common cables. It's more like an added feature than an inconvenience!

I used it mainly as a transport for the Mojo and personally I like the UI. I find navigation a lot more easy than I do on my AK100. The scroll wheel works well, better than the Fiio ones or the QP1R for that matter.

That said, the 2.5mm balanced output really didn't seem to add anything to the sound when I tried it out, seems a bit gimmicky to me. Oh and the USB socket stopped working on mine and it took close to 2 months to RMA, they really need to work on their communication. If you're not buying a Lotto product through an authorised dealer you're going to have a tough time getting responses to your emails!

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #507 of 889
OK, I'll be dipped in dog poo. 

The other end of the cable is USB 3.0 as you stated.  I removed the comment about the proprietary cable from my previous post.

I have a PC with USB 3.0, but never saw this kind of cable before.

The comments about poor service do not surprise me.  This unit is simply not well constructed and I suspect it is a problem waiting to happen.

Please bear in mind that everybody else seems to love this unit.  I most decidedly did not.

To summarize; to me, it has a very clear sound.  Clear as mud.

By the way, I am generally a fan boy for hi res playback devices so this is an out of band response for me.  I have posted some less than enthusiastic IEM reviews, however.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #509 of 889
  Personally I can't see why I would even remotely consider a unit at this price point that can't play 24 - 192 without downrezzing the music.   For gosh sake, the FIIO X1 can play that and it costs $100.

The unit I would consider, unless bluetooth is a big deal for you, is the Shanling M2.  $250 and sounds like sonic bliss.  I think that unit punches above the FIIO X5 Gen II, which I realize is heresy around here but so it goes.  And yes, I am something of a FIIO fan boy for what it is worth.

The FIIO X3 Gen II at $200 or less is also a great value; though slightly warmer than the Shanling.  But the FIIO is much more musical to my ear than the Lotoo.

I hear good things about Cayin, etc. but do not have any experience with those.  And I hear the Lotoo Gold is phenomenal; so I do not know how the PAW5000 missed the mark by so much to my way of thinking.

Like I said, at $99 I would be all over these but they aren't $99.

Yep, bluetooth is a dealbreaker for me, so tired of always snagging cables with the IEM's etc.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #510 of 889
Bluetooth is a funny deal for me.  I tend to think that when I want Bluetooth I will just stick with my smart phone.  When I want hi res, I go with a hard wired connection.  But I understand the idea that sometimes you want just one device, and easy access to your tunes on the portable player.  When I travel I tend to have the phone and also the music device.  At the gym and for at home listening it is usually just the portable device.

There are devices that convert a standard 3.5mm miniplug into bluetooth; they are typically $20-$40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back