Looking to buy a bass extended IEM blind - can't decide what to get
May 8, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
Meh, mixed opinions on that from what I've read, in terms of bass. I believe the IE8 is the all around better one though. On bass extension I'm still pretty sure the M5 wins though...

Bass extension wins with the Atrios.

May 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:
Ummm what about UE SF EBs?

They're discontinued and impossible to find anywhere new. I also suspect them to be inferior to other mentioned IEMs for what I need.
---

Bass extension isn't be-all-end-all for me of course. Completely rolled off highs and really uneven response are pretty bad too...
Not sure Atrio M5 will satisfy my newfound drive for detail (but not at a cost of low end) - I'm pretty sure IE8 is extended in lows more than enough.

--
A challenger appears:
VSonic GR07 ($180 or $230) - not sure how duty/tax from Singapore, thus 2 prices

May 9, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #20 of 30
But it has durability issues. The part where the wire attaches to the housing became unglued. And I cradle my headphones. I'll have pics and a review up tommorow with the DAMAGED AREA PICTURE.

May 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #22 of 30
If you're not particularly sensitive to treble, I'd recommend the FX500 and or FX700. These two IEMs  have excellent bass extension and detail retrieval. They also have very good clarity and accuracy in  timbre.

May 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 30
I'm using SA6 right now with the pretty dark yet detailed Treble= tips - and these end at 16k.
I can live with their treble being boosted, (a simple +6 dB smiley curve approximates my real eq somewhat - good enough for a cellphone) but that sounds unnaturally metallic to my ears.
My current EQ for these has a -6dB 9k cut (pretty wide) with only extreme high end (>12k +3dB/oct) boost countering their roll-off quite effectively - but bandwidth cannot be improved with EQ.

That's with Comply T-100s, however they don't change HF behavior, suprisingly enough.

JVC HA-FX700 is not available anywhere in EU, also I am somewhat annoyed by too much sibilance.
Say, too much by +6 dB would require eq, and at +3 dB I'd consider eq as well.
The perfect signature for me is pretty laid back and not overly bright, closer to HD650 and HD800 rather than Beyerdynamic DT880 and definitely unlike Grados.

From seyo-shop (or other Japan), it'd be $350 + tax & duty pushing it to monstrous (pun intended - MTPC is similar price locally) $500 levels.
My wallet would explode after hearing this price tag, not to mention paying it.

We'll see how it goes though with those VSonics - whether they're actually available etc.

May 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #24 of 30
Long-time lurker, first time poster here. Please forgive the long blah-blah-blah following my recommendation if it ends up being irrelevant!

For a durable IEM with strong bass response, I highly recommend checking out the Klipsch S5i.

I can be considered the human IEM/portable-headphone durability tester. I plug my Klipsche S5i on and off my iPhone4 multiple times a day. I stuff it in the pocket of my jeans or my jacket and get them it all tangled up almost every single time. I've had it since the sale at b&h last February, and no noticeable sign of wear and tear. It definitely fulfills the "Rugged" name it advertises with.

I've been through every single iteration of the white Apple earphones since the iPod Nano came out in '05, up to the ones that come with the iPhone 4. With the exception of those that came with the iPhone 4, all the apple earphones wear down on me after 4-6 weeks of use/abuse - typically the wire covers start to tear and eventually one side will stop working. I've also gone through several <$30 Sony's with inline volume control, and those usually last for about 3 months (probably due to the beefier L-plugs).

I've also gone 3 pairs of Skullcandy "Full-Metal Jacket". While those things would only last 3 weeks with me (thank you warranty), they are my very first IEM's -- and eventually lead me to countless of hours reading and lurking head-fi.

*Edited out my SQ impressions. Looking at prior posts, I don't think it contributes anything*

May 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #25 of 30
Klipsch S4 and S5 aren't comparable to anything on the list. No really.The bass isn't that well controlled enough, the signature is too V-shaped for my liking. (esp. the sibilant parts)
If any, Klipsch X10 or Custom 3 (this one is still pretty meh) would be better and just as durable if not more.

Skullcandy FMJ is a piece of cheap junk - and doesn't look all that stylish. Get something better soon. I recommend checking out the huge IEM comparison. There are far better IEMs in the price range and even cheaper, such as Brainwavz and MEElectronics M-series... or even low end Sennheiser CX.

May 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #26 of 30
Oh, I agree that the FMJ is a piece of junk. I just mentioned it to emphasize how quickly I wear down IEM's (each set of FMJ I had only lasted 3 weeks), and to show how durable the S5i has been for me.

I have both of ljokerl's threads bookmarked, and have read through most of it. That's why I have the M50 for home, and the S5i for iPhone use.

Ok, I'll get out of your thread now.

Quote:
Klipsch S4 and S5 aren't comparable to anything on the list. No really.The bass isn't that well controlled enough, the signature is too V-shaped for my liking. (esp. the sibilant parts)
If any, Klipsch X10 or Custom 3 (this one is still pretty meh) would be better and just as durable if not more.

Skullcandy FMJ is a piece of cheap junk - and doesn't look all that stylish. Get something better soon. I recommend checking out the huge IEM comparison. There are far better IEMs in the price range and even cheaper, such as Brainwavz and MEElectronics M-series... or even low end Sennheiser CX.

May 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 30
I agree on the Atrio, Eterna, Golds no there slow, HjE900......after being a slight fav for awhile, annoy the crap out of me. Sm3 as well. All in all id say Eterna or Sm3.

May 10, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #29 of 30
Westone UM3X is $450 locally, earning it 4 wallet burning stars.

Right now ordered VSonic GR07, we'll see how they work. If push comes to shove, I can grab something else later (like in a month).
However I expect "happiness in my ears".
etysmile.gif
Price: $160 with possible $40 extra to pay in customs.

May 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #30 of 30
Cheap price for what Joker considers top tier, I would say you made the right choice.

If it transforms your eardrums into midgets just send them this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back