Looking to buy a bass extended IEM blind - can't decide what to get
May 8, 2011 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

AstralStorm

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm trying to pick a very good IEM blind (without auditioning them) with some budget.
What I'm looking for specifically is good extension in low end, not a lot of sibilance or similar phenomenon,
preferably balanced sound. The IEM has to be reasonably durable.

As an example of what I don't want, Sleek's SA6 was underwhelming on sound front (slightly), durability (!!!) and fit (far too deep insertion required for best sound).

My main problem is that I can't decide what to buy - there are too many great picks and no way for me to snatch a listen of most of them.

The ones I've found myself that seem pretty close to the mark with my found price listed, converted to USD then rounded up.
Possible other issues are listed too, these make the IEM less desirable to me, however I don't know the severity of the issues.

Tag "local" means I don't have to order from out of the country - preferable. I don't like long preorders too.

Skipped list:
Westone 1, Phonak Audeo PFE 122, MEElec A151, Xcape - I have a comparable BA IEM already
Atrio M8, Hippo VB, ECCI - can't find
Shure lineup - insane pricing - and the cheaper ones aren't good enough to consider

Basic lineup:
I could easily afford 2 of those at the same time.

NuForce NE-700X ($80 local) - fit?
NuForce NE-700M ($100 local) - fit?
Fischer Audio Eterna v. unknown ($100 local) - colored?
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet ($100 local) - durability?
MEElectronics CC51 ($130 incl. tax) - undetailed?

Medium lineup:
Jays q-Jays ($170 local) - durability?
Radius HP-TWF11 "DDM" ($180) - fit? durability?
Panasonic RP-HJE900 ($200 local) - warm?
Sennheiser IE7 ($200 local) - warm? had one, liked, but new things are more interesting
Fischer Audio DBA-02 ($230 local, $170 ordered)

Expensive lineup:
Number of stars indicates how much this IEM scares my wallet. Be kind to the wallet if possible.
cool.gif

Please describe the day and night differences (if there are such) from one of the above.

Ortofon e-Q5 * ($300) - fit?
Sennheiser IE8 * ($300 local) - warm? not much better than IE7?
Westone 2 * ($300 local) - bass rolloff? timbre? probably meh
Klipsch Image x10 * ($300) - probably even more meh than W2
Monster Turbine Pro Gold ** ($350 local)
Earsonics SM2 *** ($380)

and beyond:
Getting good impressions for customs is hard around here...

May 8, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 30
I would have suggested the latest version of the Atrio M5 with MG7 driver. You say you can't find the Atrio at all?

It has excellent low bass extension and is quite balanced overall. I also think it is very good value at £110.

May 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 30
Radius DDM, HJE900, IE7, IE8, MTP Gold and FX700.

May 8, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
Radius DDM, HJE900, IE7, IE8, MTP Gold and FX700.

No thoughts? I've listed most of these. Can't find JVC HA-FX700 in EU. Getting them from US will be around $400 (if not more) with resultant wallet scarring.

Quote:
I would have suggested the latest version of the Atrio M5 with MG7 driver. You say you can't find the Atrio at all?

It has excellent low bass extension and is quite balanced overall. I also think it is very good value at £110.

Yes, there is one shop  - more like 120 GBP which is $200 level - and there will be payment issues. (credit cards hate me)
How do these stack against the others on the list? Also, from my searches it's Atrio M8 with a different name and build.

May 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 30
I wouldn't say x10 or w2 are meh.. in fact the x10 sounds quite fun with plenty of bass and respectable detail. it's only when I start doing some benchmark that its flaws come to light. e.g. spatial depth with the percussion imaging test in the open your ears album. Otherwise its hard to notice the flaws for modern electronic songs. W2 on the other hand wont have enough bass to satisfy your needs but is an extremely good iem.

DDM does feel weird and cheap and I personally wouldn't recommend it despite it's good value for money. I love the HJE900 because of their awesome timbre with electric guitar and bass. If you like rock music, this is a must buy. I wouldnt call them warm, they are quite transparent. FX700 has more bass quantity and detail than the HJE and you can get from Dimitri at musicacoustic. Keep in mind the FX has poor isolation.

Fit shouldn't be an issue with the eq5, in fact it should be quite good with it's size. Lastly the Eterna is a good buy and definitely enjoyable to listen to, in this case if colored means you enjoy your music more then why not. Its always hard to try to recommended iems, one mans meat is another mans poison. And even some experienced HFers still don't really know what they're looking for. Only listening will do and that's why this is an expensive hobby. Good luck. :wink:

May 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 30
MTPC (not Golds) are really too expensive at $500 locally... I could consider those if they really wiped the floor with the rest of the list, which is pretty unlikely, considering that IE8 is there at almost half the price.

Remember that my benchmark here is IE7. These really had enough bass, a tinge too much warmth, great shallow fit, excellent soundstage, however I'm getting a bit spoiled by detail of BA and also want to try something different, perhaps better.

The other benchmark is Sleek's SA6 (not -R) - reasonable and pretty detailed sound, but needs eq (bass rolled off and lacking intimacy, highs rolled off at 16k, mid and high excursions in wrong places) and really deep fit (for soundstage to work much better). Also, mechanically unstable (driver flex in BA IEMs?! inconceivable!) and having fragile cabling. The extra length of rope is that I've paid $200 for these and SA6-R came out two weeks later.

So, I think I'm looking more for extension than sheer quantity and timbre (decay) over speed.

--

About e-Q5, I'm afraid they'll downright hurt to wear like the UE 4vi of old I had, unless I use really long tips or foams - with unknown effects on sound. Construction looks pretty similar - a short straight nozzle and large body. There's nothing worse than having an excellent IEMs (which UE 4vi were not, anyway) you just can't wear longer than an hour a time.

--
Oh, and a related question: any good EU sources for the various tips? (Comply, UE and Sennheiser tips I already have in abundance - can't find a source for Shure, Ety or Sony hybrids)

May 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 30
The Radius's have detailed lower frequencies but they are not as balanced as the Atrio's. Go for the Atrio's.

May 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 30
I forgot to add that IE7 were also a slight bit too dark in the high end, nothing too obvious though.

If HeadRoom graphs are to be trusted, Klipsch X-10i response is pretty close to what I'm doing to SA6 right now with eq - minus the extra 8k bump, plus 2k cut and extreme highest end boost.
Senn IE8 would have even more sibilance (presence) I might have to reduce and that mid bass hump.

Also none of these would sound like HD800 I know well (and like) thanks to missing 2k cut, still necessitating eq.
I'm pretty sure the chart overestimates SA6 bass a lot and is generally a bit inaccurate there.
(Senn HD800 having less bass than HD650, SA6 or IE8? really?)

The tool: https://www.headphone.com/learning-center/difference-graph.php?graphID[0]=693&graphID[1]=2271&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones
Unfortunately, response of IE7 or other interesting IEMs is not available - that would be pretty useful...

--

Another possibility I've overlooked:
Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 Pro ** ($350) - not enough extension both ways? timbre? sibilance? fit?

May 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
So, I think I'm looking more for extension than sheer quantity and timbre (decay) over speed.

The Ortofons probably wont have the extension you're looking for but do provide good timbre. I have a feeling the Eterna or IE8 is best for you, also because it doesn't feel that painful to change should you not like them since they're reasonably priced. Personally I think the EX1000 will be exactly what you're looking for (limitless extension and great timbre) although they are really expensive atm. The HJE900 has the timbre, but probably not the extension.

May 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 30
IE8s are NOT sibilant at all, in fact, their treble is extremely smooth, detailed and well extended, but do lack energy and sparkle. They NEVER exhibit sibilant, unlike the TF10s you have listed, which can be quite prone to such issues and become overly bright. 

May 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 30
Dude you have to really consider the new Atrio M5. ClieOS (the head-fi IEM reviewer that has tried like almost every IEM) recommended them to me for the very lowest bass extension. Buy.com has a sale for them right now, not sure how the shipping is to Europe. But seriouisly, his recommendation is one to consider very seriously. Beyond that I was recommended the Radius DDM and JVX FX500. Here is the thread I started on it. I was looking for the most bass which is somewhat related to low frequency extension. Maybe it'll help, you never know.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/552959/most-bass-under-around-150

May 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 30
Yes, I've considered Atrio M5 and M8 already, see above. I have difficulty finding them in EU (one retailer only I've found and credit card processors hate me),
while shipping from US pushes the price to closer to $300 with tax, duties and S&H. Buy.com doesn't ship outside US.
Are you really certain they can compete with Sennheiser IE8 at this price point?

May 8, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
Yes, I've considered Atrio M5 and M8 already, see above. I have difficulty finding them in EU (one retailer only I've found and credit card processors hate me),
while shipping from US pushes the price to closer to $300 with tax, duties and S&H. Buy.com doesn't ship outside US.
Are you really certain they can compete with Sennheiser IE8 at this price point?

Meh, mixed opinions on that from what I've read, in terms of bass. I believe the IE8 is the all around better one though. On bass extension I'm still pretty sure the M5 wins though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back