Looking for new bass headphones
Jul 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #31 of 54
Oh man. Here's the deal. When you get into those price ranges, the higher the price does not fetch the same or equal gains in audio quality (diminishing returns).

Many will say they 7000's are worth it. But how much better are they? Are they worth hundreds more? Subjectively, you may be looking at a 15% "increase" in audio quality. You start to pay a massive premium for small percentage-point gains in performance. My Ultrasone Edition 8 are triple the price of my Pro 900's and certainly nowhere near triple the performance. Maybe a 25% gain (to me)? And to some, not a gain at all, just different. Also, you need to be honest with yourself and ask if you have enough experience to fully appreciate the difference between the 5000 and the 7000. Blasting straight to the top deprives you of a journey that makes you appreciate the fine qualities of the 7000. If you don't have much experience in audiophile land, the D2000's will rock your soul. And when you upgrade, eventually, you will really appreciate the fine differences as they are anything from night and day. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #32 of 54
Great points there! Listening to headphones may be a hobby of mine, but trying to find what's right for me is not! Lol, any other opinions on anything that fits my needs are welcome.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #34 of 54
If on a tight budget, I'd look no further than the Sony MDR-XB500s. They DO require a little bit of EQ'ing in you want a bit more presence in the HF. But they're great at that price point and an all-round fun set of cans.

I've not heard the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm phones, but if I had a bigger budget, those are the bass-centric phones I'd probably get...

'crusha

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #37 of 54
I think you are ready to buy man, people have given you a ton of input and there are also literally hundreds of pages of information on the topic...I can understand your hesitation to pull the trigger so to speak, but if people haven't helped you enough on this thread maybe you should just search the Head-fi database. Good luck

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:
I think you are ready to buy man, people have given you a ton of input and there are also literally hundreds of pages of information on the topic...I can understand your hesitation to pull the trigger so to speak, but if people haven't helped you enough on this thread maybe you should just search the Head-fi database. Good luck

Yeah you're probably right. I have done a lot of researching on here, I'm just always overly cautious on big purchases. Thanks everyone for the help!

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #39 of 54
I'd say that two solid pages of info seems like a good starting point.  I know there are several other threads based solely on bass centric headphones.  I recommend using the search bar, and/or the head gear tab for more info. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back