Looking for new bass headphones
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

eposk23

New Head-Fier
I just joined head fi and I'm a bit of a noob compared to most here so please excuse any dumb things I might say. I'm currently using my V-Moda Crossfade Lp's. They're good, but I'm looking for an upgrade. I mainly listen to rap and rock, with some metal and a little bit of pop. The lp's are terrible with rock and metal, and they seem to have lost a lot of bass overtime. I don't like punchy bass. I like more low and smooth bass but I don't want to overpower the rest the music. I listen to my iPod touch 4g, Droid Razr Maxx, and my laptop (Sony Vaio if that matters). If possible, I don't want to have to use an amp but if it's really worth it I will. I'd like to keep my price range $150-$250 but I'll go as high as $500-$600 if it's really worth it. If you do recommend headphones that need an amp, please also recommend an amp. Here's a few that I've seen recommended a lot:
Audio Technica ATH M50
Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro
Denon DH 5000 Reference Headphones
Studiophile Q40
Ultrasone 580
Ultrasone Pro 900
Sony xb700
Phillips Citiscape Uptown
Darth Beyer
I've never listened to any of those and there's nowhere around here that I can try different headphones. I'm leaning towards the D5000's right now. How are they compared to the others I listed? Also if you could compare them, or anything else you'd recommend to my Crossfades that would be helpful.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 54
I haven't heard the Sony XB700s, but I've read about all that bass.  Check out the chart-

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1193&graphID[]=2941

edit- looks to me like the Sony headphones will rattle your skull.  :)

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 54
Quote:
I haven't heard the Sony XB700s, but I've read about all that bass.  Check out the chart-

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1193&graphID[]=2941

edit- looks to me like the Sony headphones will rattle your skull.  :)

Does that chart just mean that the xb's will play louder at most frequencies??

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 54
Quote:
What's the differnece between the Darth Beyer and the DT 770 Pro?

A darth beyer is a modded beyer headphone, better than stock in certain aspects with more bass. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 54
Spend as much as you can afford. Otherwise you'll end up buying several sets in basically the same price range. On your list, the Denon AHD 5000 blows away the Sony and the M50 (which I love and is a terrific value but it not in the same class as the Denon) I haven't heard the rest on your list.  In terms of amps I really like the Fiio E9 (with 7 depending on how you are using it) and I love the Schiit Asgard. In my opinion all HPs (even the most efficient) will benefit from an amp. Good luck and have fun.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:
Spend as much as you can afford. Otherwise you'll end up buying several sets in basically the same price range. On your list, the Denon AHD 5000 blows away the Sony and the M50 (which I love and is a terrific value but it not in the same class as the Denon) I haven't heard the rest on your list.  In terms of amps I really like the Fiio E9 (with 7 depending on how you are using it) and I love the Schiit Asgard. In my opinion all HPs (even the most efficient) will benefit from an amp. Good luck and have fun.

Does it blow them away in anything in particular or they're just overall better?

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 54
I have the d2000s and the ultrasone pro 900 and I can't speak to how well the d5ks sound I do have to say that the ultrasones win hands down over the d2ks. The denons tend to get a bit muddied, have a 3m cable, and are big heavy headphones (can't wear them places really). The ultrasones have a clearer soundstage, bit recessed mids (which is a normal complaint) but they are a versatile headphone and will not disappoint--I listen to everything from bach to bassnectar from steve aoki to slipknot from dizzy gillespie to deadmau5..you get the idea, but I like it all loud and authoritative sounded and the pro900s definitely do that. I have tried the dt770s and they sound good but they are definitely not as booming as the pro 900s. Also if you want to melt your face you can get a fiio e17 for fairly cheap and it will definitely jiggle your innards. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:
Is is really worth that much more?

Never heard any complaints from people who tried this mod. 
wink.gif

i liked it also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back