Looking for headphones - tried a few models but still concerned
Sep 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lexy

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I am looking for headphones with price up to 400$. My current setup consists of the following, laptop with lossless music, FiiO E7 as DAC and FiiO E9 as amp. Will be listening only at home.

Today went to store to try out some models which:

Beyerdynamic DT990 (32ohm) - 250ohm demo was not available but if I purchase DT990, I will get 250ohm model
Denon AH-D2000
Sennheiser HD600

There is no particular music I am listening to just as long as it is bassy. The headphones I have listed in my preference (first - most desirable).

I understand a lot of people recommend D2000 over DT990 but for me, I didn't find the bass quite as punchy (on D2000).

Basically,
Beyerdynamic DT990 - Strong bass, overall sounded great but bass was really strong which is what I am looking for
Denon AH-D2000 - Overall sounded well balanced, but more towards mids (or highs? - not sure on that one) and bass was not as strong
Sennheiser HD600 - Sounded even more rounded but bass was almost flat compared to other two.

What do you think of it ? Should I also consider DT880 ? Other models I should consider ? (HD650 is out of options as it is too overpriced compared to other models).

EDIT: Completely forgot to mention, in store, headphones were connected via RSA Dark Star amp.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 11
As far as I have read, the dt990 has more bass than the dt880. I own the dt990 250ohm and I drive it with my fiio e17 (should be similar to your e7, I'm guessing). The bass is plentiful but to me the treble/upper mid sounds harsh. You will probably recognize it after listening to female vocals continously for half an hour and gets worse from there. Good luck with whatever you pick, I have no experience with d2000 or hd600.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I am looking for headphones with price up to 400$. My current setup consists of the following, laptop with lossless music, FiiO E7 as DAC and FiiO E9 as amp. Will be listening only at home.
Today went to store to try out some models which:
Beyerdynamic DT990 (32ohm) - 250ohm demo was not available but if I purchase DT990, I will get 250ohm model
Denon AH-D2000
Sennheiser HD600
There is no particular music I am listening to just as long as it is bassy. The headphones I have listed in my preference (first - most desirable).
I understand a lot of people recommend D2000 over DT990 but for me, I didn't find the bass quite as punchy (on D2000).
Basically,
Beyerdynamic DT990 - Strong bass, overall sounded great but bass was really strong which is what I am looking for
Denon AH-D2000 - Overall sounded well balanced, but more towards mids (or highs? - not sure on that one) and bass was not as strong
Sennheiser HD600 - Sounded even more rounded but bass was almost flat compared to other two.
What do you think of it ? Should I also consider DT880 ? Other models I should consider ? (HD650 is out of options as it is too overpriced compared to other models).
EDIT: Completely forgot to mention, in store, headphones were connected via RSA Dark Star amp.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Reading various posts at head-fi, people say bass is better on D2000. In what perspective it is better than DT990 250ohms ?

EDIT: How would Sony MDR-XB1000 compare to headphones mentioned previously ? Is it worth considering ? Auditioned them as well but was not that impressed as well as price difference with Sony and previously mentioned headphones is only ~30%.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
You may be thinking of the famous QUANTITY vs. QUALITY debate... the Denon is regarded as one with great quality, but the dt990 does have a larger quantity of bass. in general, quality is better than quantity.
Remember: you can always apply bass-boost with an EQ to match quantity, but quality is inherent to the capabilities of the headphone.

Could you advise me in that case, which player or app would allow me to achieve bass boost ?

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Dont use itunes :3 personally I use foobar2000 and love it.

+1 on foobar especially with third party EQ plug-in in components section instead of built-in one. You also should add HE-400 to your list especially instead of too bright sometimes harsh DT990 and if QUALITY sub-bass is important to you. Also check Mr Speakers Mad Dogs with Dog Pads

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Don't know about e7 or e9 but my e17 has bass boost feature which I rarely use. I heard iTunes equalizer sucks btw

I am planning on using E7 with E9 in which case E7 acts as pure dac so bass boosting feature is not working. (But E7 does have bass boosting feature).

Quote:
+1 on foobar especially with third party EQ plug-in in components section instead of built-in one. You also should add HE-400 to your list especially instead of too bright sometimes harsh DT990 and if QUALITY sub-bass is important to you. Also check Mr Speakers Mad Dogs with Dog Pads

Unfortunately, both models are unavailable in my area.

So far, I am beginning to lean towards Denon's. Which pair would work better for them : E7 as DAC and E9 as AMP or E7 as DAC & AMP without E9.

EDIT: What about Beyerdynamic T50P ? Are they comparable to Denon's D2000 ?
EDIT: I also tried AKG 550 but found them more towards mids. What about Grado SR-325i or SR-225i? How would they compare to Denon D2000 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back