Looking for headphones for ~£200!
Nov 7, 2012 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sanotter

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for some closed headphones that are over the ear, VERY comfy, good build quality and dont leak too much sound. Dont mind if they let sound in, but as long as I can listen to them at a decent volume and people dont get too irritated around me, its fine.

I listen to mostly electro house and female vocals, and I'm looking for nice bass extension, not too boomy, and really nice/slightly forward mids, along with smooth, slightly rolled off highs, although i don't really mind if it's a little bright.

Don't mind the styling, removable cable is preferred although if it's solid and won't break I don't mind.

Don't mind a little bit of clamp.

Budget is max 200GBP (about 250-300$) 

Might be able to factor in a headphone amp if necessary. I have a Galaxy s3 that I will use with an E7 on the go.

Have been looking at the SRH940 or the DT770 pro. What do you guys think?

I am from the UK so it will need to be based on the pricing here.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi there

I cant say anything on the shure.

I recently got the DT770 PRO 80ohm and i love it!! I run it through a E11, but if youve already got the E7 thatll run them just fine. They are extremely comfortable!! the cushion pads just feel amazing. No clamping at all.
they work really well with all genres ive tried them on. And the bass is amazing, it never really gets muddy when u turn the bass up.
You can get them on amazon for around £130.
The only thing is, the cable is not removable and it is 3m long!! but ive just neatly tied mine up :)

hope that helps :)

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Looking for some closed headphones that are over the ear, VERY comfy, good build quality and dont leak too much sound. Dont mind if they let sound in, but as long as I can listen to them at a decent volume and people dont get too irritated around me, its fine.
I listen to mostly electro house and female vocals, and I'm looking for nice bass extension, not too boomy, and really nice/slightly forward mids, along with smooth, slightly rolled off highs, although i don't really mind if it's a little bright.
Don't mind the styling, removable cable is preferred although if it's solid and won't break I don't mind.
Don't mind a little bit of clamp.
Budget is max 200GBP (about 250-300$) 
Might be able to factor in a headphone amp if necessary. I have a Galaxy s3 that I will use with an E7 on the go.
Have been looking at the SRH940 or the DT770 pro. What do you guys think?
I am from the UK so it will need to be based on the pricing here.
Thanks!

Heya,

The SRH940 & DT770 are kind of not what you're describing. You're saying you want something with bass extension (sub bass), but not boomy (mid-bass), with forward mids (not happening, this really doesn't exist except on a handful of headphones and without equalization), and rolled off highs (not bright). Basically you're describing a headphone that I can't honestly think of. Most headphones with rolled off treble are semi-dark to dark, and generally always have some warmth (boomy, mid bass). The SRH940 is very bright, it's all treble, with some good mids, and good bass extension, but very shy on the mid-bass, it's no where near boomy, it's straight up anemic sounding. It's close to what you're describing, but it's very bright, which is what you're saying you didn't want. The DT770 is bright, a little boomy (has some mid-bass hump) and great extension and great mids. Again, not really what you described that you want.

The good news is that Fiio amps tend to be a little dark, so they roll treble off a touch. That means you can take a relatively bright headphone and make it a little more relaxed just with the Fiio amp itself. I noticed this with the Fiio E11 and Fiio E10.

Here's some suggestions based on that, and what you described:

Shure SRH840
Ultrasone HFI 780 & PRO 650
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003)
Sennheiser HD380 PRO
AKG K272 HD, K271 MKII, K550
Sony MDRXZ700
AudioTechnica A700X

Very best,

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Heya,

The SRH940 & DT770 are kind of not what you're describing. You're saying you want something with bass extension (sub bass), but not boomy (mid-bass), with forward mids (not happening, this really doesn't exist except on a handful of headphones and without equalization), and rolled off highs (not bright). Basically you're describing a headphone that I can't honestly think of. Most headphones with rolled off treble are semi-dark to dark, and generally always have some warmth (boomy, mid bass). The SRH940 is very bright, it's all treble, with some good mids, and good bass extension, but very shy on the mid-bass, it's no where near boomy, it's straight up anemic sounding. It's close to what you're describing, but it's very bright, which is what you're saying you didn't want. The DT770 is bright, a little boomy (has some mid-bass hump) and great extension and great mids. Again, not really what you described that you want.

The good news is that Fiio amps tend to be a little dark, so they roll treble off a touch. That means you can take a relatively bright headphone and make it a little more relaxed just with the Fiio amp itself. I noticed this with the Fiio E11 and Fiio E10.

Here's some suggestions based on that, and what you described:

Shure SRH840
Ultrasone HFI 780 & PRO 650
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003)
Sennheiser HD380 PRO
AKG K272 HD, K271 MKII, K550
Sony MDRXZ700
AudioTechnica A700X

Very best,

Thanks, really great, I am considering the HD380 PRO, the HFI 780 and was wondering if you thought the k-167, k-267 or mad dogs by mr speakers would also be appropriate? I may be able to get an amp at a later date.

Thanks!

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Thanks, really great, I am considering the HD380 PRO, the HFI 780 and was wondering if you thought the k-167, k-267 or mad dogs by mr speakers would also be appropriate? I may be able to get an amp at a later date.

Thanks!

Heya,

The K167/267, I've not heard yet, but I want the 267. I imagine they are going to be slightly boomy and bright. They're DJ headphones. Not what you're after likely.

The Mad Dogs are appropriate. Good balance. Kind of what you're after.

Very best,

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Heya,

The K167/267, I've not heard yet, but I want the 267. I imagine they are going to be slightly boomy and bright. They're DJ headphones. Not what you're after likely.

The Mad Dogs are appropriate. Good balance. Kind of what you're after.

Very best,

Hmm, ok, maybe i'v set my tastes a bit too extreme. I have the Q40's at the moment and love them, but i'd love a little more sound stage and to me it seems as though the bass leaks into the mids a tad (which irritates me a fair bit), so slightly less bass would be preferable. Comfort with the dt770 pads at the moment is more than enough, so those 2 things along with a good construction (the detachable cable on my q40s has broken and so has the connecter, iv had to use sugru and a new cable although even now it sometimes cuts out in one cup.. :/) would be perfect!

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back