Looking for good quality sweet sounding IEMs
Jun 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Albinoni

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good quality and sweets sounding IEM's to purchase, I dont listen to rapp, hip hop but more so classical, rock, vocals etc. I plan to use these with a headphone amp (cmoy).

Basically what I am looking for:

1. Something with good low and high ends

2. Nice sweet sound

3. Comfortable

4. Value for money ?

Some brands I am looking at:

1. Monster Turbines (not sure which ones though)

2. Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10

3. Klipsch S4 reference

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 22
I heard Shure's SE215 and SE425 aren't bad, 425 more so if you have an amp :p (I'm a very big advocate of Shure) - their rugged, durability factor is a huge bonus

Etymotics are good too for accurate sound reproduction.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
I am looking for a good quality and sweets sounding IEM's to purchase, I dont listen to rapp, hip hop but more so classical, rock, vocals etc. I plan to use these with a headphone amp (cmoy).

Basically what I am looking for:

1. Something with good low and high ends

2. Nice sweet sound

3. Comfortable

4. Value for money ?

Some brands I am looking at:

1. Monster Turbines (not sure which ones though)

2. Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10

3. Klipsch S4 reference

What's your price range?

I'd cross off Triple Fi 10s right now, they, from what I've read, are anything but sweet :p

Try something like the MEE A161s?

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 22
Get Vsonic GR06.

Etymotic is terrible for "good lows and highs" and "sweet sounding", as are most Shures.

Ultimate Ears TF10 are great for "sweet sounding" and have a pleasing U-shape if that's what you like, but if the Vsonic GR06 is $66 new where the TF10 is $115-145 used.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
Get Vsonic GR06.

Etymotic is terrible for "good lows and highs" and "sweet sounding", as are most Shures.

Ultimate Ears TF10 are great for "sweet sounding" and have a pleasing U-shape if that's what you like, but if the Vsonic GR06 is $66 new where the TF10 is $115-145 used.

Um...  I find Etymotic bass pretty good, if you are fine with bass light phones (quality != quantity.  Shures are known to be among the sweetest sounding headphones around. I find the Etymotics to be extremely sweet as well.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 22
My HF3 sounds dry, articulate, precise, deep, textured; not sweet, smooth, warm, bassy, enveloping, inviting. Am I missing something?

Quote:

Um...  I find Etymotic bass pretty good, if you are fine with bass light phones (quality != quantity.  Shures are known to be among the sweetest sounding headphones around. I find the Etymotics to be extremely sweet as well.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
My HF3 sounds dry, articulate, precise, deep, textured; not sweet, smooth, warm, bassy, enveloping, inviting. Am I missing something?

There is a difference between "sweet" and "sweet and warm" (you defined what my ears call warm and sweet rather than just sweet).  My statement is that the vocals still hold a good amount of sweetness to them, despite their high end being articulate, somewhat dry, and precise.  They are deep and textured though.  Sweet does not always imply warm, bassy, enveloping, and inviting (that's actually a warm and sweet sound, maybe lush would be the word). 

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 22
when I read your criteria, the only IEM I kept thinking is the W4.
Since I got my W4, other IEM have either been sold or get little time. My W4 is sweet, warm, comfortable, value for the money , consider what I have spent looking for that one IEM.

Good luck!

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
when I read your criteria, the only IEM I kept thinking is the W4.
Since I got my W4, other IEM have either been sold or get little time. My W4 is sweet, warm, comfortable, value for the money , consider what I have spent looking for that one IEM.

Good luck!

For a similar price of the W4s, the Shure 535s are sweeter than the W4s.  Same with with Phonak (Shure is sweeter than Phonak though, much sweeter).  My vote still goes towards the A161ps

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 22
never tried SE535 or  the Phonak . Was tempted to get SE535 once but I am happy with W4. just wanted the op to consider that

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
never tried SE535 or  the Phonak . Was tempted to get SE535 once but I am happy with W4. just wanted the op to consider that

SE535s are supposed to be some extremely sweet phones.  I haven't heard them myself though.

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
The heck does sweet mean. lol

A sweet signature generally relates to the vocals having a dynamic and energy to them.  Generally, these come around in a midrange-focused signature, but it doesn't have to.  

Quote:
A mid centric sound signature refers to a mid range highlighted sound; typically more pronounced vocal. Not especially analytical and could have a roll off bass, but not always. The fullness in mid often reduces the sense of space and separation, thus this type of IEM generally doesn’t have the best of soundstage. However, it is often the easiest going of all sound signatures

A sweet sound is included in a warm and sweet signature as well which has the features of a mid-heavy signature, but with the added bonus of having a bit of bass/sub-bass to it.  This is generally where the warm and inviting sound comes from. 

Quote:
A warm and sweet sound signature is a cross between a bass oriented and a mid centric sound. Bass strong but not overwhelming while vocal is still relatively forward, though not particular detail in the treble. It is a sound that is generally recognized for being-nothing-wrong, but at the same time doesn’t have any particular strength.

Both quotes provided by ClieOS in his multi-IEM review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-tdk-eb950-ba100-ba200-added-june-2nd-2012

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 22
That just doesnt seem right to me.. How can a completely subjective word like "sweet" be used to describe a sound signature? Anyway I digress I dont want to take this thread in a new direction. Good luck on your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back