Looking for Closed back, neutral yet lively, not needed to be amped headphones under 300$. Help please!
Jun 13, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
All kinds, that's why I want an all around type headphone hence my interest in the LFF, though compared to other genres I don't listen to any dubstep, and not much hip hop or metal or EDM. So bass heavy isn't a huge priority, although it must be there because I do listen to some... 

Keep in mind with the Paradox you're getting a super neutral headphone. Does that fit your taste? If not look elsewhere, maybe something more "fun"

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #33 of 40
My vote also goes for the k550. Besides the fact that they look awesome, they also fit what you seem to be looking for.

EDIT: I don't think he wants a Beyer or t50rp as he doesn't want a pair that needs to be amped.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

i think a beyer will fit the more fun sound, at least thats my impression of my dt990

Then I think your hesitation should be slowing down. The neutrality the Paradox brings should be a great balance to your DT990's.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

i have a pair of koss tbse1, neutral and slightly mid forward in my opinion, will the paradox sound like that except better?

A LOT BETTER.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

similar sound signature though, right?

I agree with you on their "slightly" to you but very mid foward to me. Also, they are pretty peaky in brightness, I am heavily sensitive to this though.
Besides that I didn't find them very neutral at all. So it's hard for us to gain mutual agreement here.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #39 of 40
for a change, import a sony mdr cd900st =D

closed back = cd900st
neutral let lively/musical = cd900st, it beats k550 and srh940 in overall tonality and musicality IMO
no need for an amp = cd900st, it already sounds great through an ipod device unamped using headphone out
under 300usd = cd900st, heck you can get it for 150 + shipping if you have a friend in japan to buy one for you
listening to all kinds of music except dubstep, and not much hip hop or metal or EDM = cd900st
bass heavy isn't a huge priority, although it must be there because I do listen to some = cd900st has accurate and detailed bass, it even give more meat than k550 and srh940 in some genres

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #40 of 40
Anyway, as for the 940s, they're pretty much the polar opposite of your AIAIAIs.  Super clear treble (and mids) with a little less in the bass.  The bass is present and very defined, but never overpowering or boomy.

It's biggest strength is it's clarity.  I've never heard something as clear-sounding as the 940s.  Overall, I'd classify them as clear, fast, and aggressive. 

It's biggest strength (clarity) is also it's biggest downfall.  If something unpleasant is on the recording, then the 940s will allow you to hear it.  If you're listening to a bad recording (clipping, static, etc.), then that's exactly what you'll hear.  On the flip side, if you listen to a solid recording, then the 940s can be absolutely blissful.  Your source material is very important with these headphones.

They do well unamped...lose a little bit of authority in the bass, perhaps, but most of their good sound will still be present and they can be driven to good volume by portable devices.  However, if you do decide to buy a good dac/amp in the future, then the 940s would certainly benefit from it.  

If you want to save a little money, you could also look into their younger brother, the 840s.  Also an excellent sounding headphone and a slightly more laid back sound (compared to the 940s, that is).  I think either one would be a clear step up from your AIAIAIs.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back