Looking for a new earphone
Jun 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

solaregg

New Head-Fier
I previously have a pair of Monster Miles Davis Trumpet. Looking for a different type of earphone.

Source: iPod Touch 4gen
Budget:$300~$400

I'm looking for a earphone which is more easy to drive and more relaxing to listen to. What I don't like the Miles Davis Trumpet is it stress my ear after I listen to it for too long, after 1hr. I usually wear it while I'm working. Isolation isn't too important for me. 

Any suggestions? I'm currently looking into FX700 / Westone 3/4 / SE535 / IE8

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Shure are good, amazing mids, but still with good bass and highs. The SE425 are easy to drive but sound better with an amp. They are super comfy too.
Westone have a darker sound.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 12
If you are looking for a fun IEM that is also very relaxing and non-fatiguing the IE80 is it. The treble is silky-smooth and easy on the ears. The cable is also upgradeable and you can improve the sound further this way as well. The FX700 will be more fatiguing as the treble is prominent and aggressive so it may not be what you want.

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions
Quote:
You should also include the Etymotic line of in ear headphones too.
Cheers, Jim

Which model do you suggest?

Shure are good, amazing mids, but still with good bass and highs. The SE425 are easy to drive but sound better with an amp. They are super comfy too.
Westone have a darker sound.

Is SE425 good for Jazz? I have SE115 but it fails on high when I listen to Miles Davis' CDs. 

Quote:
If you are looking for a fun IEM that is also very relaxing and non-fatiguing the IE80 is it. The treble is silky-smooth and easy on the ears. The cable is also upgradeable and you can improve the sound further this way as well. The FX700 will be more fatiguing as the treble is prominent and aggressive so it may not be what you want.

I have tried my friend's IE8. It feels like a bit airy. Is it what people call large sound stage? I mainly listen to Jazz, but still listen to all other kinds of music. IE8 feels like I'm listen to it from the back row. Monster MD sounds like I'm right in front of the performer. 

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 12
My best guess would be the ER-4P model.

Easily converted to an S model with an adapter cable.

They are (Etymotic ER-4 series) one of the strongest IEMs on the planet. Both for the sound and future support.

Take Care, Jim

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes the 425 works brilliantly with jazz. I would highly recommend them for easy listening, comfort and sound, it.does not make you sound like your back row either.

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions

Which model do you suggest?

Is SE425 good for Jazz? I have SE115 but it fails on high when I listen to Miles Davis' CDs. 

I have tried my friend's IE8. It feels like a bit airy. Is it what people call large sound stage? I mainly listen to Jazz, but still listen to all other kinds of music. IE8 feels like I'm listen to it from the back row. Monster MD sounds like I'm right in front of the performer. 

In a sense yes. But the sound stage surrounds you. It's more 3D. The IE80 sound stage isn't as large as the IE8 but it has more clarity and is more upfront. I'm not so sure what you are after though. You said you wanted something more mellow. Generally the more upfront the sound is the more fatiguing it will be (treble usually).

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 12
Sorry for making the confusing. I think Monster MD and IE8 are two different extreme. The one I'm currently using, SE115, is a pretty good in-between, but just need a better sound quality. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 12
But that doesn't explain what you are looking for. What are you after in a sound-signature? Do you want laid back and mellow? Do you want upfront and aggressive? Are you after a neutral sound (generally brighter).

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 12
I guess I'm looking for neutral sound. Cause I haven't experience a lot of of earphone, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. But since I feel Monster MD is too aggressive and IE8 is too mellow, I think I'm looking for a neutral sound signature. 
beyersmile.png

Need to find a day to hop in a earphone store.  

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
I guess I'm looking for neutral sound. Cause I haven't experience a lot of of earphone, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. But since I feel Monster MD is too aggressive and IE8 is too mellow, I think I'm looking for a neutral sound signature. 
beyersmile.png

Need to find a day to hop in a earphone store.  

I think the GR07 may be what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back