looking for 1000$ price range headphone recommendations
Mar 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 66
Guys, I'm so excited, I think the pro 900 is exactly what I was looking for, they are not pricey and the reviews are awesome.
they fit my needs COMPLETELY, they are portable, they are solid and sturdy, they are good for games aswell, ipods, movies, songs ofcourse, especially my kind of genres that I listen to, to sum it up, I think this is it for now.
what about the amp guys, do you have ideas and recommendations for me?

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #33 of 66

Quote:
Guys, I'm so excited, I think the pro 900 is exactly what I was looking for, they are not pricey and the reviews are awesome.
they fit my needs COMPLETELY, they are portable, they are solid and sturdy, they are good for games aswell, ipods, movies, songs ofcourse, especially my kind of genres that I listen to, to sum it up, I think this is it for now.
what about the amp guys, do you have ideas and recommendations for me?

Generally speaking portable cans are made so they don't need amps (low impedance).

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #34 of 66
not necessarily.
depends on how sensitive the headphones are, not all low impendance cans are reasy to drive.. and I think the pro 900 needs a good amound of current to sound best.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 66
Personally, I think the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 ohm headphone may suit your tastes. It is quite bass heavy though. It is solidly built and has pretty good isolation. It would suit you well for portability, and isn't too "amp-dependent." Also the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, is supposed to sound quite nice and those headphones are supposedly capable of surviving a nuclear holocaust. I have never heard them, but a lot of people rave about their sound, size, build quality, and isolation. As far as amp/DAC combos go, I have always had a fondness for Ibasso products. I have worked my way up from the D2 to the D4 and now the D6. The Ibasso D6 amp/DAC is a tough little package to beat at its price. It has a pretty high output current for a portable amp ~625mW per channel into 32ohms, and a 24bit/96kHZ USB DAC!!!! Phenomenal. I am just getting to know mine, and I cannot complain. Anything by Ray Samuels is quality. YOu might also want to check out the PICO amp/dac. People tend to rave about that combo, and then tend to sell quick on the used market (so that make me assume there is some quality behind the product).

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #36 of 66
Thanks mate, But I've already ordered the Ultrasone pro 900, unfortunately the site I ordered it from is acting weird and ignoring my emails now. anyways, i've decided on a Ibasso PB2 AMP and Corda StageDAC as a Dac.
I think it's a good base to build from.

Quote:
Personally, I think the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 ohm headphone may suit your tastes. It is quite bass heavy though. It is solidly built and has pretty good isolation. It would suit you well for portability, and isn't too "amp-dependent." Also the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, is supposed to sound quite nice and those headphones are supposedly capable of surviving a nuclear holocaust. I have never heard them, but a lot of people rave about their sound, size, build quality, and isolation. As far as amp/DAC combos go, I have always had a fondness for Ibasso products. I have worked my way up from the D2 to the D4 and now the D6. The Ibasso D6 amp/DAC is a tough little package to beat at its price. It has a pretty high output current for a portable amp ~625mW per channel into 32ohms, and a 24bit/96kHZ USB DAC!!!! Phenomenal. I am just getting to know mine, and I cannot complain. Anything by Ray Samuels is quality. YOu might also want to check out the PICO amp/dac. People tend to rave about that combo, and then tend to sell quick on the used market (so that make me assume there is some quality behind the product).

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #37 of 66
Quote:
Thanks mate, But I've already ordered the Ultrasone pro 900, unfortunately the site I ordered it from is acting weird and ignoring my emails now. anyways, i've decided on a Ibasso PB2 AMP and Corda StageDAC as a Dac.
I think it's a good base to build from.

Isn't the PB2 meant for high impedance headphones? Ultrasones are low imp and are generally easy to drive. If I knew what I know now back a year ago, I would save the money from buying a separate amp and DAC. Instead I would rather get an excellent DAC with a good built-in amplifier if I was to focus on low impedance headphones. Source tends to matter more and low imp headphones aren't that difficult to drive.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #38 of 66
Hmm, I need a great dac to build on. the amp is less important for me now..just because of what you said..
the pb2 is for high impendance? I had no idea, are you sure? 
It has to match all sorts of headphones, it has 3 gain 3 modes, it's a portable amp so is intended for IEM's..
I was thinking about  a nice combo of dac/amp but couldn't find something interesting in my price range, I could pick up a 1000$ dac/amp but inorder to do so I would have to skip on the portable amp..
what's a better solution, Pick a 1000$ built in dac/amp or pick the good Corda StageDac and a portable amp like the pb2 and later on buy a fancy amp If I intend to buy another pair of headphones.
I intend to use my ipod as a source when i'm not home, so my question is, would It need a portable amp to properly drive the pro 900?
If I do pick up a dac/amp my options are as of now, corda symphony 2, burson 160D,lavry D10, maybe the balanced dac/amp from audio-GD could work, didn't like the build though.
hmm, what'cha say?

Thank you mate.
appreciated

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #39 of 66
Quote:
Hmm, I need a great dac to build on. the amp is less important for me now..just because of what you said..
the pb2 is for high impendance? I had no idea, are you sure? 
It has to match all sorts of headphones, it has 3 gain 3 modes, it's a portable amp so is intended for IEM's..
I was thinking about  a nice combo of dac/amp but couldn't find something interesting in my price range, I could pick up a 1000$ dac/amp but inorder to do so I would have to skip on the portable amp..
what's a better solution, Pick a 1000$ built in dac/amp or pick the good Corda StageDac and a portable amp like the pb2 and later on buy a fancy amp If I intend to buy another pair of headphones.
I intend to use my ipod as a source when i'm not home, so my question is, would It need a portable amp to properly drive the pro 900?
If I do pick up a dac/amp my options are as of now, corda symphony 2, burson 160D,lavry D10, maybe the balanced dac/amp from audio-GD could work, didn't like the build though.
hmm, what'cha say?

Thank you mate.
appreciated

Personally, forget about the portable amp. I don't use one though I own two. Compared to a real good DAC like the Anedio D1 there's barely any difference even if you hear a difference.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #41 of 66
Mar 24, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #45 of 66
Great post by Bilavideo.

Only remark, he left out Ultrasone, sadly. Because the PRO 900 would have been my recommendation too. (Although I haven't heard it yet.)

But please ignore the post about the DT770 Pro. It has a verry muddy bass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back