looking for 1000$ price range headphone recommendations
Mar 20, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:
My point in all of this is that if you cruise the used section, you'll find a lot of super deals.  Buy cheap and inform yourself, then sell it to upgrade to the next opportunity.  If you do this right you'll be able to buy that thousand-dollar headphone but after you've educated yourself about what you do and do not like.

This is another great advice from a nice headfier. Keep up the good work Sir!

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #17 of 66

My favorite part of a great post:

Quote:
Here's my advice - for what it's worth.  I'm nobody to you, just a faceless scribe in cyberspace, but what I'm telling you should resonate some truth your way, truth you have to connect with.  Don't buy a thousand-dollar pair of headphones if you don't know anything about headphones and don't buy them on the recommendation of strangers on a website.

Like, duh.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #18 of 66
I wouldn't start with a $1000 headphone, especially if you want them to be portable at all. 

There's 2 problems with wanting portable $1000 cans.
1) There's just not many choices
2) If anything happens to a set of $1000 cans when you're out and about, you'll never forgive yourself.

Honestly...If I had known what I know today and had that kind of money burning a hole in my pocket I'd buy a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s. The Ultrasone Pro line is just my favorite...They sound amazing, are super comfy, can be portable, great amped and unamped, and are RIDICULOUSLY sexy.

$500 or so for the cans, and spend the rest on a combo DAC/AMP that's portable as well as practical for home use.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #20 of 66
Thanks guys for your honest posts, i'm sorry that I couldn't have responded earlier, I'm just living in a different time zone that you all.
What youre tellimg is that if I jump directly to the top tier headphones, I wouldn't be able to appreciate their quality as it is all subtle improvement and I need to 1st build up my taste and I should probably start from the less expensive models.
this sounds very reasonable and there's a point to it.
You changed my perception completely now. ty, but now this is a tougher quest cause there a much more mid-end models :wink:

Bilavideo, thank you for your sincere post. very well detailed and informative and and comes from a dear place. Thanks mate.
took you some time though eh

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #21 of 66
I listen to a lot of the same genres as you do, and as I said in my post...I still think the Ultrasone Pro line would be a good spot to jump off from.

Quote:
Thanks guys for your honest posts, i'm sorry that I couldn't have responded earlier, I'm just living in a different time zone that you all.
What youre tellimg is that if I jump directly to the top tier headphones, I wouldn't be able to appreciate their quality as it is all subtle improvement and I need to 1st build up my taste and I should probably start from the less expensive models.
this sounds very reasonable and there's a point to it.
You changed my perception completely now. ty, but now this is a tougher quest cause there a much more mid-end models :wink:

Bilavideo, thank you for your sincere post. very well detailed and informative and and comes from a dear place. Thanks mate.
took you some time though eh

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #22 of 66
I think a really dedicated music lover will love top tier headphones whether he knows his way around a catalog of headphones or not, but you wouldn't necessarily know what you're getting from them that others can't offer.

Most importantly though, and I think this was the main point of Billavideo's post, is that you don't even know what you're looking for in a headphone. Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Stax, Sony, Audeze, Hifiman, and more all have really top notch headphones. When you get into the price range you were looking to spend in there's not necessarily going to be one better than the others, but rather one that will perform in certain ways that you personally appreciate more than others. Or maybe you'll determine you need a variety 
wink.gif

We could just look at your genre lists and try and recommend something for you, but you'd be best off determining for yourself what you're really looking for.

Welcome to Head-Fi and I'm sorry about your wallet.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #24 of 66
What wwould you recommend pro 900 or 2900?
As i'm into hip-hop and dubstep, electronic they all require bass, but I'm also itnjo deep vocals, jazz, instruments so all of these are conflicting genres..
Audi-technica also looks good, I looked into ATH-5000 and AD900, have no idea in which area each headphone excels in...

Heh, Thank you Zida, but my money is well spent. I think -_-
I have a very accumulated taste in music, but I need to start from the mid-end to appreciate the value when I go up, and as you said each headphone differ from another and I haven no Idea on which route to go...

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #25 of 66

I would recommend the Pro 900 because it's a closed can. Open is nice, but not for portable use at all, IMO because of sound leak. It's just not polite, plus, closed cans will give you more bass impact.

I listen to a lot of SRV and classic Jazz and soul in my Ultrasones as well, and I love them for that as well. My main genres are Electronic though, so that's mainly what I listen to in them.
Quote:
What wwould you recommend pro 900 or 2900?
As i'm into hip-hop and dubstep, electronic they all require bass, but I'm also itnjo deep vocals, jazz, instruments so all of these are conflicting genres..
Audi-technica also looks good, I looked into ATH-5000 and AD900, have no idea in which area each headphone excels in...

Heh, Thank you Zida, but my money is well spent. I think -_-
I have a very accumulated taste in music, but I need to start from the mid-end to appreciate the value when I go up, and as you said each headphone differ from another and I haven no Idea on which route to go...

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #27 of 66
If you're feeling industrious, pick up some Bottlehead kits:

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php

You'll have to put them together but my goodness do they sound good @_@

I suggest a Quickie and Crack if you're getting high impedance headphones. Otherwise get a Quickie and S.E.X. for low impedance cans.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #29 of 66
I would suggest looking for a portable Amp that can also be used as a DAC for your computer. That way you get a decent desktop and portable set up in the same device. I can't suggest much here really because I simply don't have a very wide experience with amp/DAC combos. At least not portable ones.

Thanks, the 900 sounds nice man, wha about an amplifier? what should I look into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back