looking for 1000$ price range headphone recommendations
Mar 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

dadab12

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new to the all headphone obsession thing.
Music is what makes me pumped up, when Iisten to good music I feel joy. So I decided that it's time to invest in high-end headphones..
i've been searching the web for reviews and recommendations and I need your help guys...
I have yet to experience any kind of high-end headphones, I usually just listen to my surround sound speakers  by Bang and olufsen...
I listen to hip-hop, dubstep, jazz, electronics, rnb, mainly, I don't favour rock, pop  , I listen to them from time to time but they are not my favourites at all.
what do you recommend for my type of genres?
I thought about LCD-2, Denon AH-D7000, Hifiman-5-6? (maybe)
I'm looking for headphones mainly for the lounge room, but I'd like to sound good with portable devices aswell when I'm lurking in da streets...
I haven no knowledge what so ever about amps and have yet to look into that direction aswell, I need your help guys...
Greatly appreciated !

Nadav. 

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 66
Yeah, i'm getting an amp, not sure which one.....
i'm looking for headphones that sound good unamped aswell.
I need your opinion guys wether it's worth to invest so much for top headphones or should I settle for something less that that as a start?
I'm a perfectionist and i'm afraid I might be disappointed if I choose something less than top-notch.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 66
I'm not sure you'll find any headphone in the $1000 range that anyone would recommend to use portably. If that's really something you plan on doing you should probably be looking into some high-end custom IEMs. I myself have no experience with them, but some are supposed to be particularly great sounding headphones.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 66
Well, no high-end headphones sound decent on a portable device?
it's not like a main issue, I can buy headphones for portable usage aswell... seperately...
but thought I might get a 1+1 there... -_-

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 66
that's acceptable. but I'd like to purchase an headphone as a base 1st, my top priority is the headphone..  1000$ is for the headphone not including the amp...
but I can settle for less powerful headphones if the difference is insignificant..

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 66

Quote:
Yeah I know, But 1st I need to pick an headphone right?

well yea, maybe your should lower your budget because some lower costing headphones can sound great as well, esp w/o an amp
:D

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 66
hey mate, I recommend picking up a used pair of Ultrasone edition 8s (these look legit imo). They are closed can design unlike the ones you mention which are open design..... these leak music through and through. There's pretty much no way to listen to these portably. The ED8s might run 1k-1.2k in the used market (definitely too much new) and are definitely easy to drive straight out of the ipod. These kids are just biters to force you to allocate your budget one way or another, it's your hard-earned money.... if they aren't giving you advice directly pertaining to what you are seeking just ignore them :).

I would say the open design headphones (HE-6 + LCD-2, etc etc) probably DO sound better.... but they aren't portable so no point! The HE-6P(portable version) is still in production if you want to wait for that to come out. 
In addition the Beyer T50p run under $1k and might please you as well!

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 66
I'm not a troll and I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I'm going to cite an old saying you must have heard before: "A fool and his money soon go separate ways."  

Now, I'm not calling you a fool.  I don't know you.  But "fool" in this context is a person who doesn't know what he's doing, a novice, a noob.  If you've got a cool grand burning a hole in your pocket, you're in great danger of blowing that wad on something that could end up making you feel pretty stupid later, when you realize you could have had something better if only you had known what you were doing.

Here's my advice - for what it's worth.  I'm nobody to you, just a faceless scribe in cyberspace, but what I'm telling you should resonate some truth your way, truth you have to connect with.  Don't buy a thousand-dollar pair of headphones if you don't know anything about headphones and don't buy them on the recommendation of strangers on a website.

Like, duh.

If you want free advice from somebody you don't know, here's some you can use.  Lurk a bit.  Google the headphones that people are talking about.  Get interested and then buy those headphones - USED.  There are some pretty terrific headphones you can buy used for a couple of hundred bucks.  Here are some of the players to watch:

Grado - Grados are great rockers.  They're unfiltered and open, which makes the treble quite percussive and dynamic.  Not everybody likes them. They're pretty minimalist (just a headband, some retro cups and on-ear pads) but for less than $200 used, you could get the SR225, which is near the top of the discount Grados (past the iGrado, the SR60, the SR80 and the SR125).  If you like the SR225, you could resell them for basically what you bought them for used and buy higher.  The $700 RS1 can be purchased used for $400-$500.  If you find yourself a Gradohead, that's a killer score - and for half of what you're talking about spending.

Sennheiser - Senn's top can, the HD800, is an awesome dynamic headphone that produces a lavish soundstage, great speed and detail and a relatively flat and accurate response.  It's not for everybody.  If you're looking for a more visceral, slamming experience, you'll probably find the HD800 a bit analytical, but they're terrific headphones.  They're also $1,400.  You can find them cheaper USED but you can also find the HD600 and the HD650.  Neither of those is the full HD800 experience but each company has its own "house sound."  For a couple of bills, you could try the HD600, which has a more balanced sound, or the HD650, which has more bass - and see how you like the Senns.  You'll find them comfortable, durable, very stable and quite easy to listen to.  They don't radiate the visceral energy of a Grado, and in that respect they may be too polite for your blood.  On the other hand, when you give them a try, you may be unable to take them off.  I need a little more caffeine in my cup but I totally respect those who love their Senns.  I used to own the HD650 and thought they were a terrific headphone, especially for the used price of $200 to $250.

AKG - This Austrian company makes everything, including some killer cans.  AKG is famous for its legendary K1000, a pair of headphones that were touted as "head speakers."  AKG actually made a headset that sported two drive-in style speakers that were made to practically float next to each ear - without any cushion or contact.  It was a radical idea.  The K1000s went out of production but they're still talked about, and sought after, to this day.  AKG's successor flagship was the K701, which was later updated to the K702 and the Quincy Jones K702.  These are extremely comfortable, extremely stable headphones with wide circumaural pads (covered in velour).  The K701 has a large soundstage (some would say "too" large) with lots of energy and sparkle.  To get decent bass, you really need a great amp but the K701 is a lot of fun.  Some audio purists poop all over it and laugh at its perceived flaws but, again, for $200 you get quite a headphone.  Just be aware that this is a headphone for people who want to enjoy a lot of little details as opposed to people who want a thumping club beat.

beyerdynamic - This German company makes the top-shelf T1, a can some folks consider the best out there.  I don't understand its claim to  "Tesla" technology but I've had the T1 and thought it was a very nice headphone, one with a lot going for it.  But instead of paying $1,300 for a T1, why not check out the DT660, DT770, DT880 or DT990, all of which are scaled versions of the T1.  The DT660 and DT700 are closed designs; the DT880 and DT990 are open designs.  beyerdynamic is a company that started out making closed cans with loads of thump and then got into making "open cans" that fit its closed-can framework.  The DT770 is a bass monster but one that really sounds good - much better than anything from Bose, Dr. Dre or Sony's XB series.  There are arguments about whether the DT990 is really better than the DT880 but if you try the DT770 - for less than $200 - you'll have an idea of whether you'd want to go up the product line.

Denon - Denon makes some very sweet, beautiful, closed cans.  Right now, there's a running debate about which is better - the D5000 or the D7000 - but either way, you're in for some great times with Denon.  Brand new, the D2000 is $300; the D5000 is $350 and the D7000 is $850.  But USED, these cans can be picked up for a song.  Personally, I'd hold off on the D7000 till I knew whether I liked the house sound of the Denons.  If I had to choose between them, I'd grab up the D5000, but I'd buy it USED for less than the $350 pricetag.

Audio Technica - AT does make a headphone that lurches beyond the $1,000 line (as an active noise-cancelling headphone) but I'd give more thought to the ATH W5000, the ATH-AD2000 and the ATH-W1000X headphones.  The gorgeous W5000 has a strong following.  People also rave about the less expensive ATHM50 (for less than $100) and the inexpensive ATH-A700 and the ATH-A900.

Sony - Sony is a huge company, putting its name on both garbage and diamonds alike.  In the world of headphones, there are some stellar Sony entries.  Most of what Sony sells is closer to the "garbage" end of headphone alley but that's because consumers walking through a Best Buy are as focused on price as anything else.  Still, when Sony goes for high-end cans, it has the clout to produce some great gear.  One of those legendary Sonys is the MDR-R10.  I think these are out of production.  Another is the Qualia.  

My point in all of this is that if you cruise the used section, you'll find a lot of super deals.  Buy cheap and inform yourself, then sell it to upgrade to the next opportunity.  If you do this right you'll be able to buy that thousand-dollar headphone but after you've educated yourself about what you do and do not like.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 66

Quote:
Don't buy a thousand-dollar pair of headphones if you don't know anything about headphones and don't buy them on the recommendation of strangers on a website.

I agree with everything Bilavideo said; it is very good advice. I would not recommend you start out with such high end headphones to be perfectly honest. You should probably start out with at least a little cheaper just so you know at least what you are getting yourself into. The price increase near the top is very steep for much less performance gain. You might end up very disappointed with your purchase if you are not fully prepared. And quite honestly, from a couple of your comments, you really don't know what you're getting yourself into and I would recommend you at the very least read up some more.

I currently own a pair of Audio Technica W1000X. I bought only 2 IEMs and 1 full sized headphones before I upgraded to the W1000X, but I got a lot of experience and knowledge from those previous purchases that really helped me pick out a great pair of headphones. Though I may have been satisfied with any other headphone in this price range, had I not had this experience, the W1000X likely would never have even been under consideration and I would not have gotten the most optimal pair for my personal tastes. You are about to spend twice the money I spent on your headphones. I think it would be wise for you to figure out what is the optimal sound for you before you dive in like this. I strongly encourage you to read over Bilavideo's post and choose a less expensive headphone.

With that said, if you are still looking into $1000 headphones right now, I would recommend you check out the Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) section. The recommendations I'm about to give you is not from personal experience, but from what I've read through this forum.

Ultrasone Edition 8: If you are looking for something portable this is pretty much the best option. I really don't know of any other headphones in this price range that can be portable. It will still need a very good amp though.

Closed vs. Open Headphones
In your case, you don't seem to really have any extra sound that will get in the way of your enjoying music so I would recommend open headphones as they are, overall, better than closed headphones. From comparisons I've seen the Denon D7000 does not belong on your list for consideration. It has been compared to Audio Technica's W1000X quite a bit and I can tell you, as an owner of the W1000X, these are not $1000 headphones.

From the music you like, I would say that the LCD-2 is probably a better fit for you than the HE-6.
I would like to reiterate that you should look thoroughly into Bilavideo's post. He's given you quite a lot of good, lower priced choices for you to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back