Little Dot MK IV SE vs Woo Audio WA6
Mar 4, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #31 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys, seriously, the WA6 even without upgrades costs several hundred dollars more than the MkIV SE. Looking at the components and circuit layout the MkIV SE is clearly and objectively superior, the only thing I don't understand is why had Little Dot skimmed on the stock tube compliments. I'll bet that with several hundred dollar worth of upgrade tubes the MkIV SE will outclass the WA6 by a long way.

There is a lot of prejudice coming from the head-fi old timers against Little Dot, mostly as a result of the whole LDII+ fiasco back in the day, but the new Mk series is a good, reliable, high quality product with solid engineering and TOTL component selections that I would recommend to anyone looking for an entry to mid level tube amp.

So how is it clearly and objectively superior?

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #33 of 78
V-CAP

I don't know why but I'm affectionate with V-CAP ever since ALO introduce the V-CAP box for iMod. I'm sure this would be different thing if it's comes to amp, but I really wanted to have something with V-CAP in it
biggrin.gif

(same reason why I wanted Zana Deux, because they have some pure soybean oil caps in it, lol)

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #34 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are making me sad, questioning my Little Dot MK IV SE purchase.
frown.gif

Don't worry TheMarchingMule. You will be very impressed with the MKIVse. It is a much better amp than given credit for. When you get yours, let me know and either myself or several others I know can give you some suggestions for really nice tubes for it, without breaking the bank.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Little-Dot family here at HeadFi do a fantastic job of supporting each other and there is a vast store of knowledge waiting to help you.
Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #35 of 78
I think achristilaw's post has made the most sense this whole thread, as well as being the most valid to answer this thread's point. He was the only one here to actually listen to both of the amps in question, and to me that's the only thing that counts here.

The Little Dot owners, most of them anyway, seem to come off as pushy punks, while the Woo Audio owners sound like old-timer elitists. There is also a huge post count difference between the two groups, if that means anything.

Needless to say, this whole thing has gotten me frustrated and frightened that I may not have made the right buying choice for my first tube amp. But I can't say much else until I have the Little Dot MK IV SE in my hands and properly hooked up to my equipment. And rest assured, I sure will post impressions in a new and separate thread when the time comes.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #36 of 78
I wouldn't worry about it at all. They aren't going to make an amp with their experience that is going to sound poor. I would imagine it will be exciting and great fun. It is a single ended amp with tube options. I look forward to your impressions.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #37 of 78
Thanks jamato8. I noticed that the LD MK IV SE has a pre-amp option, while the WA6 doesn't. I guess that's a nice thing to have, even though I quite don't know nor understand how it works.
redface.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #38 of 78
I just looked at the IV SE again. Sweet. Quality parts, good wide traces, and the WE tube is very nice. I really like the looks of it. Should be a great addition. Wouldn't mind one myself. Now where to put it. . . .

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #39 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just looked at the IV SE again. Sweet. Quality parts, good wide traces, and the WE tube is very nice. I really like the looks of it. Should be a great addition. Wouldn't mind one myself. Now where to put it. . . .

Are you trying to make me feel better?
wink.gif

I'm just frustrated (again) that so far, and to my knowledge, only one Head-Fi member (and his buddy) have listened to both amps in question. I guess people are perhaps underestimating the MK IV [SE], and this is (kind of) what boomana was talking about in the thread "Disturbing Trend"

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/dis...-trend-264859/

Only this time people are blindly recommending the WA6 when they clearly haven't heard both amps side-by-side their whole life.

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #40 of 78
No, I don't like to give false hope. It appears to have very good parts, appears well made and there are nice tube options. The proof will be in the listening. I remember the power tube, well the tube being used as the power tube, now. I have some old stock and the old ones are very, very hard to find. They were touted as the next great tube but were too hard to find so now that they are being made again is a good thing. Again, it should be a very enjoyable listen. Tubes are great, long live tubes. :^)

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #41 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now I feel vindicated.
biggrin.gif

I've always felt that the high quality components inside all of the Little Dot products have been overlooked for some reason.

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #42 of 78
I got a chance to listen to a WA6 at a friends house at one point using K701's and HD650's during a comparison test and using a Sony SCD CE 595 SACD as a source, and needless to say it does sound a bit better to my ears than the LD MKIV SE to be strictly honest with you guys. It had better bass that's more extended and textured, vocals and mids were more forward, and is very, very detailed and very well articulated in it's sound. Made me just a bit jealous of it. Would I buy one someday? Maybe, but I still find my MKIV SE to be more of a bang for your buck type of amp and definitely not gonna be replaced. I do prefer the looks of the MKIV SE to the WA6 imho, but we all know cosmetics don't matter in sound equipment. I hope I didn't make any other MKIV SE owners out there feel bad. I'm just trying to be honest here and sharing my impressions on both amps.

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #43 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a chance to listen to a WA6 at a friends house at one point using K701's and HD650's during a comparison test and using a Sony SCD CE 595 SACD as a source, and needless to say it does sound a bit better to my ears than the LD MKIV SE to be strictly honest with you guys. It had better bass that's more extended and textured, vocals and mids were more forward, and is very, very detailed and very well articulated in it's sound. Made me just a bit jealous of it. Would I buy one someday? Maybe, but I still find my MKIV SE to be more of a bang for your buck type of amp and definitely not gonna be replaced. I do prefer the looks of the MKIV SE to the WA6 imho, but we all know cosmetics don't matter in sound equipment. I hope I didn't make any other MKIV SE owners out there feel bad. I'm just trying to be honest here and sharing my impressions on both amps.

Thanks so much for those impressions. More to muse about while I fume about the rescheduled delivery date for my MKIV SE (now it's coming on Thursday).
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have stock tubes on your MKIV SE? Those M8100's are good but right now my GE 5 stars are better and I have Amperex 5654's coming from Yen. Also I'm waiting for my 6Zh1P-EV tubes to be matched in pairs.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #45 of 78
I would always have extra tubes to try. Also it looks like they are using a Solen for the decoupling cap but I could be wrong. Who knows which cap decouples the input tube from the output tube? That is a big area for improvement in sound because the signal has to go through that cap. It looks like the output caps are the Solen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back