Little Dot MK IV SE vs Woo Audio WA6
Jan 14, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't see the other one up on top. It may be a toroidal? Maybe they don't need to be toroidal?

below you see the Figaro and the W6 intenals.

The Woo 6 has a toroidal for the power supply, it is on top. What you have an image of is the output transformers, which are on the inside of the chassis. The image of the other amp shows its power supply transformer, which is a toroidal. So what are the cheap transformers in the 6? Laminated transformers can be as good or better than a toroidal transformer but they in a way can't be compared because correctly done either can perform to the highest standards. They of course, are made in a different way. Good iron in a laminated transformer is hard to beat but not easy to do. It is an art and science combination. There are some amps from 35 years ago that still have some of the best transformers ever made. Pure art is what they are and great sound. Its all about implementation. Toroidal have a more contained electromagnetic field so they can be placed closer to components but again it is how they are used. There are also many different types of transformers from R core to C to double C and many different combinations of metals. I have some output transformers form Audio Note UK that are custom made that are Nickel double C core. It is not an easy art, though some think it is just wrapping wire.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why he is using regular cheap transformers on a $570.00 amp (W6). Other tube amps like DV use toroidal transformers, even in the $120 Figaro.

This I find is a downside. For sure this introduces distortion to the sound.

Sounds fine to me... no matter what it's got in it.....

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #19 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The poll is clearly bias. Unless one have tried BOTH amps, he/she can't really say "which is better." And being a relatively new product, the mk iv se will obviously be exposed to less people. Just do your research, read reviews for both items and go on from there.

Your completely right. That being said I voted for the MKIV SE both because it's behind and because I have it and it rocks (what a professional review huh?)
smily_headphones1.gif
. Anyway I doubt you'd be dissapointed with either.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 78
It is silly to say that the transformers are cheap when you don't even know what they are. The Woo 6 is fine sounding as is the Woo 3 modified but they do sound a little different from each other as would be expected from an amp with output transformers and one that couples by means of capacitors. Also the transformers for the output are built to the spec of Woo audio and not off the shelf. I have dealt with a couple of transformers manufactures and appearance means nothing though I love the look of my Audio Note UK output transformers.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #21 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds fine to me... no matter what it's got in it.....

I'll second that! This amp just keeps getting sweeter by the day.

Mar 4, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #23 of 78
I have owned both amps, and sold the LD MK IV SE . The LD has a wonderful midbass but below that the amp was problematic. It's Bass was not full or extended with it's stock tube compliment. A friend purchased his at the same time and came to the same conclusion. He tried different tube compliments, and had two hundred plus hours on his before he gave up. He has a stock WA6 and is loving life. My WA6 has some upgrades that are offered by Jack and is quite good. Being transformer coupled, it will act better with lower impedence phones. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #26 of 78
You guys, seriously, the WA6 even without upgrades costs several hundred dollars more than the MkIV SE. Looking at the components and circuit layout the MkIV SE is clearly and objectively superior, the only thing I don't understand is why had Little Dot skimmed on the stock tube compliments. I'll bet that with several hundred dollar worth of upgrade tubes the MkIV SE will outclass the WA6 by a long way.

There is a lot of prejudice coming from the head-fi old timers against Little Dot, mostly as a result of the whole LDII+ fiasco back in the day, but the new Mk series is a good, reliable, high quality product with solid engineering and TOTL component selections that I would recommend to anyone looking for an entry to mid level tube amp.

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #27 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are making me sad, questioning my Little Dot MK IV SE purchase.
frown.gif

Don't be. You will be pleased when you get the amp.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #28 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be. You will be pleased when you get the amp.
wink.gif

Thanks Seba, I'm just worried because this is by far the largest purchase I have made in my Head-Fi history AND my first stationary home amp AND my very first tube amp to boot.
redface.gif

I'm also really paranoid because since I've been playing/hearing all kinds of musical instruments my whole life, I'm afraid I'll be able to discern more things than what the "normal" ear could identify.

Oh well, I know when I get it and combine all the proper equipment together, I'll surely make a thread with my impressions in it!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the components and circuit layout the MkIV SE is clearly and objectively superior.

This sentence is the stupidest thing I've read all week. Way to go!

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #30 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Seba, I'm just worried because this is by far the largest purchase I have made in my Head-Fi history AND my first stationary home amp AND my very first tube amp to boot.
redface.gif

I'm also really paranoid because since I've been playing/hearing all kinds of musical instruments my whole life, I'm afraid I'll be able to discern more things than what the "normal" ear could identify.

Oh well, I know when I get it and combine all the proper equipment together, I'll surely make a thread with my impressions in it!
biggrin.gif

I've been playing instruments, too, for about the last 40+ years (woodwinds, acoustic and electric guitar), and am thoroughly enjoying my max'd WA6 with K701's. Thought to myself this morning, "how can it sound much better than this" while listening to the new Shelby Lynne homage album to Dusty Springfield. I can wholeheartedly recommend this combo (find some NOS tubes, however; the stock 5AR4 tends to be a bit harsh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back