Little Dot Mk IV SE Tube Rolling
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #46 of 72
bear7: It is spelled punk_guy182 not pink guy.

I am confused, does such a tube branded 6ZH1P-EZ exist or is it the 6ZH1P-EV?
Yan audio store doesn't carry National 403B but he has the LM Ericsson 403B and the Western Electric 403B. Which between the 3 sounds better?
From what shotmaker wrote, the National 403B would match what I am looking for.
Any difference between the LM Ericsson.
Where Can I get those nationals?

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #47 of 72
Sorry for the confusion about the Russian Voshod tubes, I meant 6ZH1P-EV. I got them here but I think Yen Audio carries them for more $$$.

As for the National 403B, I agree with the critic about their neutral sound + the lack of colour, but I guess this is the downfall of having a clean sounding tube. I have some WE 403B here that sounds good (sound is more lush/less detailed), but from what I remember reading here the LM 403B seems to be more appreciated. Another good performer is the GE 5 stars 5654/6AK5.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #49 of 72
Glitch39:

I have the the OPA27AU and LT1364 chips in my ZERO DAC.

You have the Earth HDAM module?
That's the DAC chipset right?
It's the best one out there right?
How better does it sound compared to the OPA27AU?
Did you get it from Audio GD?
How much did you pay for it?
What headphone amp/preamp opamps are you using for the ZERO?
Can you give me a sound description that you get from the tubes that you have?
Also, any recommendation on what tubes that would best suit my needs (listed above)?

Thanks
wink_face.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #50 of 72
@PG182 - I'd point you to the Zero DAC and mod threads. But the thread might look intimidating. To answer your questions:

· Yes, I have the Earth OPA

· Nope, that's the analog stage output. The DAC chipset is different

· Not necessarily - depends on your music preference. some prefer the SUN and others the MOON. But everyone says Earth is the most neutral

· No comparison. SQ is much better

· Audio-GD has prices posted on their site. that is what I paid for mine

· Currently using the amp and HP's on my sig

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #51 of 72
I thought the earth HDAM module by Audio GD was to be inserted in the DAC section of the ZERO and not in the preamp stage. From what i have done and my understanding, 1 module goes on the DAC section and 2 modules go on the preamp section of the ZERO

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #52 of 72
yesterday i have this crackling noise through my MKIV left channel, is my tube going to die or the pin is dirty?

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #53 of 72
problem solved, when i change the tube, the crackling noise gone, but these stock tubes is the worst, i miss my M8100
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #54 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the earth HDAM module by Audio GD was to be inserted in the DAC section of the ZERO and not in the preamp stage. From what i have done and my understanding, 1 module goes on the DAC section and 2 modules go on the preamp section of the ZERO

Hey PG,

I think it depends on what you were after. I use the "earth" in the DAC section and two LT1364's in the headphone amp section. Many are trying the "Moon" and "Sun V2", two of them, in the headphone amp section.

Of course, results are all over the place right now. After some time, the true top performers in the headphone amp section will become commonly known.

The "Earth" module is still considered to be the most "neutral" and "dynamic", which almost dictates that it be used in the DAC for superior DAC output and for the feeding of the internal headphone amp.

I hope this helps some!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #55 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
problem solved, when i change the tube, the crackling noise gone, but these stock tubes is the worst, i miss my M8100
frown.gif

Hey BK!

I just had the same thing happen yesterday, and I expect many tube users are starting to experience the same thing. Seasonal weather changes are having an effect on the corrosion build up. Changes in the amount of moisture in the air and storage considerations, can cause an increase in corrosion, so for many of us, it is time to get out the soft wire brushes and Deoxit, and get after those nasty pins.

I just checked my "stash" of tubes, and it is definitely time for me to have a pin cleaning afternoon.
smily_headphones1.gif
The pins I cleaned just a few months ago, now have a substantial amount of "junk" on them, so that is a good indicator as to what is going on. My tubes are stored in Wooden Cigar boxes, by type, and the cigar boxes don't seal very well. They are handy, but not very good at keeping out the elements.
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess I should be looking for a better storage solution!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've tried a bunch of pin cleaning methods, but none of them seem to beat the "Soft wire brush & Deoxit" combination. I use Deoxit 5 and a soft wire brush to clean the pins with, then lightly coat them with Deoxit "Gold" as a final touch. Deoxit Gold leaves a slight film to help prevent further corrosion, but after a few tube rolling sessions, the pins have little protection left, so they need more attention than usual. I always seem to space out the "more attention than usual" part, and end up cleaning all of them in one afternoon.
smily_headphones1.gif
I think from now on, I'm going to just schedule a cleaning of all tubes, once a quarter. Hopefully, this will put me "ahead of the power curve" and cut way down on the pin corrosion hassles.

What happened to your M8100's???
PM me if you need a set! (For BK only) I can hook you up!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #56 of 72
Pench ...I find freezer bags with the air expelled before sealing does a fair job for storage (slows the process of corrosion down at least) and is a cheap solution
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #57 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pench ...I find freezer bags with the air expelled before sealing does a fair job for storage (slows the process of corrosion down at least) and is a cheap solution
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Hey PP,

You are going to laugh at me again!!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm a big Ziploc fan and use them for just about everything here in the desert, except tubes, which is a fantastic idea!
smily_headphones1.gif
I know a couple of online shops that sell the smaller (3-4 inch) generic ziploc type bags. That might work out great if I continue to use the cigar boxes for my tubes. Hummmmmm.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are these the National 403B?
LM Ericsson 403B Tube Little Dot Amp MkIII MkIV EF95 - eBay (item 270289186563 end time Nov-16-08 22:54:06 PST)

They're not the same tubes. The LM 403B is more extended and balanced sounding compared to the National, I would go with a pair of Mullard M8100 rather than the National if you're looking for lush sound. I love the LM 403B in and of itself though, it has a very classy and airy sound to it.

- DoA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back