Little Dot Mk IV SE Tube Rolling
Jun 11, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I need to get an electrical engineering degree to get my Darths to sound as good as they can, I will, but I'd rather find an easier way (such as picking your brains) (or reading a faq or whatever if there is one)

There must be some rule about responding to your own post three times in a row, but looky here- right at the top of the first page in the head amps forum -- http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...ewbies-119389/

Imagine that... just what the dr. ordered.

Still, if anyone has comments about the tubes mentioned in my previous posts (as in "wow, you better snatch those babies up before I do"), please don't hold back.

OK, I'll stop talking now and start listening... anyone?

Ira

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #17 of 72
I've been thinking about this too. Got about 300 hours on my stock tubes for now, so I'm thinking of maybe getting a new set. Not looking to drop a lot of coin, $20 per tube or so is about my limit. No real complaints about the stock tubes per say, but want to get a nice set in for daily use, and put the stocks in a drawer for backup
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

There must be some rule about responding to your own post three times in a row, but looky here- right at the top of the first page in the head amps forum -- http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...ewbies-119389/

Imagine that... just what the dr. ordered.

Still, if anyone has comments about the tubes mentioned in my previous posts (as in "wow, you better snatch those babies up before I do"), please don't hold back.

OK, I'll stop talking now and start listening... anyone?

Ira

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerEaves /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about this too. Got about 300 hours on my stock tubes for now, so I'm thinking of maybe getting a new set. Not looking to drop a lot of coin, $20 per tube or so is about my limit. No real complaints about the stock tubes per say, but want to get a nice set in for daily use, and put the stocks in a drawer for backup
wink.gif

Over in the MKIII tube rolling thread, you will find a ton of information about different driver tubes. The MKII, MKIII and MKIV/MKIVse share the same driver tube possibilities, so many have posted their experiences over there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree the stock tubes will only get you so far. They are nice and make great "backup" tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
Take a long look over there, starting with the most recent posts. One tube everyone likes is the Russian 6ZH1P-EV. They are usually inexpensive and are a bunch of fun!! Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #19 of 72
Ok, just managed to find a bit of time to sit down and do some listening. I set the jumpers and rolled to the M8161's. Very nice. I need to do a lot more listening before I can say whether I like the 8161 better than the 8100, but so far I like what I hear.

One thing I can say is that setting those jumpers is a royal pain! I don't understand why they couldn't have used another set of dip switches. A needle nose pliar can't fit in that opening, I had to use a funky long tweezer that I have from a computer repair kit to reach all the way down. I dropped one of them inside the unit and had to open the back up to get it out.

I now have my first complaint about the MKIVSE then I suppose - the jumper pins are really tough to reach, if you ever care to use them.

Other than that, what an awesome piece....

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #20 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, just managed to find a bit of time to sit down and do some listening. I set the jumpers and rolled to the M8161's. Very nice. I need to do a lot more listening before I can say whether I like the 8161 better than the 8100, but so far I like what I hear.

One thing I can say is that setting those jumpers is a royal pain! I don't understand why they couldn't have used another set of dip switches. A needle nose pliar can't fit in that opening, I had to use a funky long tweezer that I have from a computer repair kit to reach all the way down. I dropped one of them inside the unit and had to open the back up to get it out.

I now have my first complaint about the MKIVSE then I suppose - the jumper pins are really tough to reach, if you ever care to use them.

Other than that, what an awesome piece....

Hehe!
smily_headphones1.gif
Those jumpers can be an art form sometimes!
smily_headphones1.gif

When I describe how to do something, I forget details like the size of the needle nose pliers. A regular standard needle nose plier from a typical tool box, will be too big. The cure is very inexpensive, depending on where a person lives. We have a Harbor Freight Tools store not too far from here, and I found a very slim pair of needle nose pliers that are more "Jewelry" based. They cost less than $2 and made the jumper changing much easier.

So far, the slimmer needle nose pliers seem to be the best idea I have actually used. I have tried tweezers of all shapes, dental hooks and the bigger pliers. If anyone has a superior idea, please post it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over in the MKIII tube rolling thread, you will find a ton of information about different driver tubes. The MKII, MKIII and MKIV/MKIVse share the same driver tube possibilities, so many have posted their experiences over there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree the stock tubes will only get you so far. They are nice and make great "backup" tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif
Take a long look over there, starting with the most recent posts. One tube everyone likes is the Russian 6ZH1P-EV. They are usually inexpensive and are a bunch of fun!! Have a good one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome, thanks for the lead. I'm heading there right now.

Ira

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Hehe!
smily_headphones1.gif
Those jumpers can be an art form sometimes!
smily_headphones1.gif

When I describe how to do something, I forget details like the size of the needle nose pliers. A regular standard needle nose plier from a typical tool box, will be too big. The cure is very inexpensive, depending on where a person lives. We have a Harbor Freight Tools store not too far from here, and I found a very slim pair of needle nose pliers that are more "Jewelry" based. They cost less than $2 and made the jumper changing much easier.

So far, the slimmer needle nose pliers seem to be the best idea I have actually used. I have tried tweezers of all shapes, dental hooks and the bigger pliers. If anyone has a superior idea, please post it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't even flipped the thing over to see what everyone's complaining about, but any reason not to just snip open the bottom of the case to make access easier? I mean, it is the bottom of the thing.

Ira

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

I haven't even flipped the thing over to see what everyone's complaining about, but any reason not to just snip open the bottom of the case to make access easier? I mean, it is the bottom of the thing.

Ira

Well, I guess you could do that, I hadn't thought in that direction at all.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe doing it while it is under warranty would be a bad idea. Not sure. I'm also not sure I'm good enough at that kind of mod. I'll have to think about this for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Ira

I don't know -- that sounds a bit excessive. Perhaps I'm just used to dealing with jumpers on PC equipment, but these were very easy to install with a pair of hemostats. I would imagine that tweezers or other smaller tools would work perfectly as well.

...cutting up the aluminum chassis on the amp in order to make that 'easier' though, I'm not sure would be the best course of action.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by corigan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know -- that sounds a bit excessive. Perhaps I'm just used to dealing with jumpers on PC equipment, but these were very easy to install with a pair of hemostats. I would imagine that tweezers or other smaller tools would work perfectly as well.

...cutting up the aluminum chassis on the amp in order to make that 'easier' though, I'm not sure would be the best course of action.

Alright, alright... I'll try the straightforward approach before I start hacking my beloved LD to pieces.

Anyway, I don't even have the tubes yet.

Ira

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #26 of 72
Hey guys .... am I going to get in trouble? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with having 'backup' or even tube rolling - but don't just go and do it because 'others' are. The 'stock' tubes in the MKIV SE are already upgraded tubes from what you'd normally get (part of the reason why it's more expensive than the 'IV').

Maybe I'm in the minority, but my LD MKIV SE sounds just fine to me with with the stock tubes - nice bass, great detail, smooth.... I know there's other options, but I'm more than happy with what I have now. Maybe I'll get some tubes later to use as 'backups' for the stock
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #27 of 72
I have a stupid question about buying tubes. I'd like to check out a pair of those Soviet 6ZH1P-EV's. So I search on that in ebay, and I get listings for "6AK5W - 5654 - 6ZH1P-EV".

What the heck does that mean? Am I getting the 6ZH1P-EV's? Or am I getting some other tube which is compatible with the one I'm looking for. It always seems that when I search for a specific tube, I find items that have several model numbers listed, and I have no way to tell if I'd actually be ordering what I want. The specific ebay auction I'm looking at is:

6AK5W - 5654 - 6ZH1P-EV Tubes. Set of 4 - eBay (item 290236582849 end time Jul-05-08 12:41:08 PDT)

This is for a set of 4. I don't mind having a spare pair at these prices, as long as these are actually the right tubes!

Thanks...

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys .... am I going to get in trouble? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with having 'backup' or even tube rolling - but don't just go and do it because 'others' are. The 'stock' tubes in the MKIV SE are already upgraded tubes from what you'd normally get (part of the reason why it's more expensive than the 'IV').

Maybe I'm in the minority, but my LD MKIV SE sounds just fine to me with with the stock tubes - nice bass, great detail, smooth.... I know there's other options, but I'm more than happy with what I have now. Maybe I'll get some tubes later to use as 'backups' for the stock
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Kapt,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to the stock tubes in the MKIVse. It does have upgraded tubes and they are just fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tube rolling is like "upgrade itis". Once bitten, it is hard to stop.
smily_headphones1.gif

The longer you can hold out, the better off your wallet will be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a stupid question about buying tubes. I'd like to check out a pair of those Soviet 6ZH1P-EV's. So I search on that in ebay, and I get listings for "6AK5W - 5654 - 6ZH1P-EV".

What the heck does that mean? Am I getting the 6ZH1P-EV's? Or am I getting some other tube which is compatible with the one I'm looking for. It always seems that when I search for a specific tube, I find items that have several model numbers listed, and I have no way to tell if I'd actually be ordering what I want. The specific ebay auction I'm looking at is:

6AK5W - 5654 - 6ZH1P-EV Tubes. Set of 4 - eBay (item 290236582849 end time Jul-05-08 12:41:08 PDT)

This is for a set of 4. I don't mind having a spare pair at these prices, as long as these are actually the right tubes!

Thanks...

Those are the right ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sellers are trying to make sure their tubes show up on searches for tubes that are compatables. They don't realize they are making things difficult.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Hey Kapt,

The longer you can hold out, the better off your wallet will be.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL - ain't that the truth!

Definitely a huge advantage though for tubes over SS. I've read a lot of your posts where you use different tubes for different genre's of music (I think it was you, maybe it was Skylab... or maybe it was both of you
smily_headphones1.gif
).

What's nice is you guys all post about your experiences with various tubes, letting us 'noobies' know what each type sounds like and what would work best. I'd hate to see your monthly credit card bills though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back