Little Dot Mk IV SE Tube Rolling
Jun 17, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys .... am I going to get in trouble? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with having 'backup' or even tube rolling - but don't just go and do it because 'others' are. The 'stock' tubes in the MKIV SE are already upgraded tubes from what you'd normally get (part of the reason why it's more expensive than the 'IV').

Maybe I'm in the minority, but my LD MKIV SE sounds just fine to me with with the stock tubes - nice bass, great detail, smooth.... I know there's other options, but I'm more than happy with what I have now. Maybe I'll get some tubes later to use as 'backups' for the stock
smily_headphones1.gif

An excellent point KK.

BTW I love your cereal, Bring back strawberry crunch berries PLEASE
biggrin.gif
....no, seriously...bring em back
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the right ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sellers are trying to make sure their tubes show up on searches for tubes that are compatables. They don't realize they are making things difficult.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool! Bought 'em...

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #33 of 72
Just got some nos RCA 6AK5W's, here goes nuttin'.... (pop)

I'll post my results once I figure out what the %%*$#*^ I'm doing.

BTW, I got the RCA's b/c I couldn't find Sylvania's anywhere... read somewhere on the (massive) LD Mk III thread that nos RCA's are good. Anybody have any opinions, or should I just stick the things in and make up my own mind for a change?
biggrin.gif

Ira

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got some nos RCA 6AK5W's, here goes nuttin'.... (pop)

I'll post my results once I figure out what the %%*$#*^ I'm doing.

BTW, I got the RCA's b/c I couldn't find Sylvania's anywhere... read somewhere on the (massive) LD Mk III thread that nos RCA's are good. Anybody have any opinions, or should I just stick the things in and make up my own mind for a change?
biggrin.gif

Ira

Ya, some of the popular tubes are getting hard to find. I think you'll find the RCA's are fine. Burn 'em in and let us know what you think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #35 of 72
I read on a thread somewhere that the Raytheon's were the most musical 6AK5W's, so I grabbed a pair of those. Personally I prefer the M8100's. I've been listening to these M8161's and I really like them. I can't quite pin down what I'm hearing differently than the M8100's, but I like them a lot.

Not sure when I'm going to pull those jumpers again to try out the Soviet tubes.

Can someone maybe point to a link where I could grab a pair of the tiny needle-nose pliars?

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone maybe point to a link where I could grab a pair of the tiny needle-nose pliars?

If you are friends with anyone in the medical field a set of hemostats works very well. They're also sold in flyfishing shops.. I had no trouble switching those jumpers on my MK III but the MK IV is a bit deeper and quite a bit more difficult with pliers but those hemostats make things alot easier.

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read on a thread somewhere that the Raytheon's were the most musical 6AK5W's, so I grabbed a pair of those. Personally I prefer the M8100's. I've been listening to these M8161's and I really like them. I can't quite pin down what I'm hearing differently than the M8100's, but I like them a lot.

Not sure when I'm going to pull those jumpers again to try out the Soviet tubes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are friends with anyone in the medical field a set of hemostats works very well. They're also sold in flyfishing shops.. I had no trouble switching those jumpers on my MK III but the MK IV is a bit deeper and quite a bit more difficult with pliers but those hemostats make things alot easier.

This link will show you a precision set, but they have others and also hemostats on their site, the price is right too. : Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #38 of 72
Alright... initial impressions of the RCA 6AK5W's (which already had around 100 hrs on them when I got them, but I'm still burning them in: not up to M8100's. The bass is less defined (almost bloated), and the upper mids are muddy-ish (relatively speaking). We'll see after another 100 hrs or so of burn in.

But... the big news of the day: I just got a pair of "GE mil-spec JAN 5654's" NOS (whatever the hell that means
wink.gif
, just plugged them in, and they sound AWESOME straight out of the box. Much cleaner mids and highs than the stock M8100's (which are already clean), great bass definition, although less bass punch (which isn't a problem w/the Darths, which with the LD are kind of dark to start off with). I can't wait to get these burned in!

BTW, I don't know if this is a find or what, but:

EF92 6CQ6 M8161 CV4015 Mullard Tube Lots of 10 Pcs $69.60

EF92 6CQ6 M8161 CV4015 Mullard Tube Lots of 10 Pcs - eBay (item 170209303465 end time Jul-08-08 10:37:54 PDT)

Thanks Penchum et al for helping me find another way to spend money! Awesome!

Ira

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright... initial impressions of the RCA 6AK5W's (which already had around 100 hrs on them when I got them, but I'm still burning them in: not up to M8100's. The bass is less defined (almost bloated), and the upper mids are muddy-ish (relatively speaking). We'll see after another 100 hrs or so of burn in.

But... the big news of the day: I just got a pair of "GE mil-spec JAN 5654's" NOS (whatever the hell that means
wink.gif
, just plugged them in, and they sound AWESOME straight out of the box. Much cleaner mids and highs than the stock M8100's (which are already clean), great bass definition, although less bass punch (which isn't a problem w/the Darths, which with the LD are kind of dark to start off with). I can't wait to get these burned in!

BTW, I don't know if this is a find or what, but:

EF92 6CQ6 M8161 CV4015 Mullard Tube Lots of 10 Pcs $69.60

EF92 6CQ6 M8161 CV4015 Mullard Tube Lots of 10 Pcs - eBay (item 170209303465 end time Jul-08-08 10:37:54 PDT)

Thanks Penchum et al for helping me find another way to spend money! Awesome!

Ira

Your welcome Ira! That is a cool price for those. One of you folks with deep pockets should snag them, and sell them to members at a fair price (compared to a pair on eBay). I'm too broke.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #42 of 72
Where are we with tube rolling with the MK IV SE? I am currently using mine (bought last summer) with stock tubes and I am a bit disapointed with SQ. I feel I am not getting for what I paid. One of the driver tube (Mullard 8100) when powered portrays a very bright light during the first 2 seconds (brighter than the other one) and than shades off to a the point that it is less bright compared to the other tube.
I always felt that the sound was not perfectly balanced. After switching the left and right driver tubes I still cannot figure out if the driver tubes are responsible fo this problem.
For now, I am using the ZERO DAC (with LT1364 opamps) as a preamp and Headphone amp. I notice that the sound is clearer, crispier, more balanced and less muffled.
Therefore, I want to do some tube rolling to see if I am having issues with the stock tubes. I read a couple of posts on the Head-Fi and little-tube forums and I am having a hard time searching for a unique detailed list of all the tubes compatible with the amp and their sound caracteristics.

Therefore, I am asking for someone to help me find out the right tubes that matches the caracteristics that I am looking for.
I mostly use it in preamp mode with the Little Dot T_150 power amp which has a tube pre-stage and less in amp mode with my senns HD595.
I mostly listen to techno, electro, rock (punk rock) and some classical and softer music.
I am looking for a high quality sound which is clear, crispy, very detailed, punchy, dynamic with wide soundstage. It doesn't have to be very mellow.
After reading Penchum's review of the amp, the 5687 WB Phillips or Tong-Sol and the 408A G Elect 5 star would match my needs.
Are they compatible with the latest revisions of the MKIVSE?
Are there any other tubes I should consider?

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a high quality sound which is clear, crispy, very detailed, punchy, dynamic with wide soundstage. It doesn't have to be very mellow.
After reading Penchum's review of the amp, the 5687 WB Phillips or Tong-Sol and the 408A G Elect 5 star would match my needs.
Are they compatible with the latest revisions of the MKIVSE?
Are there any other tubes I should consider?

To answer your question about tube compatibility, your amp is not compatible with the 5687 type of tubes (unless your power tubes are the Mullard E182CC) since your amp probably came with the 6H30Pi power tubes. As for the driver tubes, the 408A/B type is not compatible with the M8100.

I cannot help you to find the sound you are looking for by tube rolling the power tubes (6H30Pi) since my Mk IV SE came with the E182CC type, but for the M8100 type there are many alternatives. For a more detailed, punchier, clearer and crispier sound I definately recommend the National 403B (available from Yen Audio on ebay). A cheap solution to get a more dynamic but less refined sound would be the Russian 6ZH1P-EZ.

FYI, M8100 tubes are compatible with EF95, 5654, 6AK5, 403A, 403B tubes. The LD MK IV SE can also accept the EF92, EF91 type of tubes if you place the 2 jumpers on their respective pin, but I don't know if you'll find the type of sound you are looking for with these two type of tubes.

Here are 2 other threads that might be helpful : Review of Little-Dot MKIVse and List of Little Dot Amps

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #44 of 72
Thanks for adressing some of the issues I am facing shotmaker.
regular_smile .gif

I don't have time to keep up with all the posts on this forum and others in regards to my issues. The mods should organize the posts a little better. Looking for what I am looking for is like searching for a needle in a hay. I'm wondering if such a thing like a centralized place where all the compatible tubes with the MKIVSE are listed with their sound characteristics.

Anyhow, the National 403B and Russian 6ZH1P-EZ are nowhere to be found on ebay or on google.
confused_face.gif

I have heard that the National 403B is a very good performer in pretty much all aspects but offers very neutral sound and misses the colorfulness. Anyone care to comment?
What is the difference between the Russian 6ZH1P-EZ and 6ZH1P-EV?

David from LD recommended the Mullard M8161. Those are power tubes right?
I can get them from Yen audio store on ebay for 48$. Is that a reasonable price?
I am having a hard time figuring out what dynamic sound is. Can someone explain?
confused_face.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #45 of 72
Hello Pink Guy

The Mullard m8161 are driver tubes. You should be able to get the Russian tubes and maybe the 403b's from Yen Audio on Ebay. Great guy to deal with. The VOSHOD's are the Russian tubes your are looking for and there is also two different brands of 403B's on there now. He has the Voshod's too.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back