Listening Fatigue w/ Denon D2000
Jan 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #16 of 28
+2 HE-400 .. if you sell your D2k you could afford them and save some cash. They fit your bill perfectly also you're upgrading in sound quality not downgrading. I'd take them in a blink of an eye in their price range.

don't forget they leak sound in and out a lot if you're using an amp and listened at high volumes, without an amp and moderate listening leaking will be very minimum.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 28
The primary consideration for me is the listening fatigue. The other factors are secondary. If the HE 400 has the same bright highs problem that the D2000 has (and which makes it impossible to listen to for an extended period of time) then I would rule it out.

I sort of didn't describe the issue very well. I just think its time for a change from the D2000 (in any direction I suppose, upgrade/downgrade).

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
-1 for the HE-400's.

They have zero isolation, are clumsy on the head, and have 10 ft cable that is thick and not flexible at all. That fails 3/5 of your wants.

^ Agree.. the isolation is far from minimum even at moderate listening levels. Also they aren't a mobile headphone at all. The sound is very good and fits the OP's needs, but as far as everything else goes...  they don't.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
The primary consideration for me is the listening fatigue. The other factors are secondary. If the HE 400 has the same bright highs problem that the D2000 has (and which makes it impossible to listen to for an extended period of time) then I would rule it out.

I sort of didn't describe the issue very well. I just think its time for a change from the D2000 (in any direction I suppose, upgrade/downgrade).

Headphones without listening fatigue definitely Sennheiser HD-600/650, they are light and comfortable but being open-back they have zero noise isolation. Their sound is smooth and creamy I could listen to them all day.

If you want close-back but something smoother than ATH M50 that would be the Shure SRH-840. Noise isolation is good only they are heavy on the head but once you wear them snugly it is not much problem although it could be better.

CAL! will be another good choice I suppose.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 28
Another vote for the maddogs plus a fiio amp. Either the e09k or e17. You'll want to upgrade the amp later but that would be a very good start.

gL!!

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #23 of 28
All right, the consensus over here appears to be the Mad Dogz. I'm just hesitant cause it seems really lame to spend $300 on what's essentially a modded Fostex T50-RP, which retails for what, a 100? On the other hand the Hifiman HE-400 caught my eye and despite the criticisms here that one looks like it might be the right choice at $399 and it sounds like it's high-end materials/build.

As far as the Sennheisers, if I were to go for any of their models it would be the 650, but that requires a beefy amp so it's out of the question. The 598/555 and other models appear to be designed for acoustic music and wouldn't work well with what I have my D2000 for (electronic music, house, techno, experimental indie, etc.) - the bass frequencies might be neglected. 

So thanks guys for clearing it up. Pretty sure we touched all bases. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #24 of 28
All right, the consensus over here appears to be the Mad Dogz. I'm just hesitant cause it seems really lame to spend $300 on what's essentially a modded Fostex T50-RP, which retails for what, a 100? On the other hand the Hifiman HE-400 caught my eye and despite the criticisms here that one looks like it might be the right choice at $399 and it sounds like it's high-end materials/build.

As far as the Sennheisers, if I were to go for any of their models it would be the 650, but that requires a beefy amp so it's out of the question. The 598/555 and other models appear to be designed for acoustic music and wouldn't work well with what I have my D2000 for (electronic music, house, techno, experimental indie, etc.) - the bass frequencies might be neglected. 

So thanks guys for clearing it up. Pretty sure we touched all bases. 
if getting the HE400, it can only be use at home. Regarding the Mad Dogs, think of it as a new headphone. It is a far improved version of the T50RP.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 28
If you're looking for a closed headphone as an upgrade with less treble to the d2000, the JVC-Victor DX700 would probably be your closest bet. Being a prospective buyer for the Dx000 series, the DX700 was recommended to me as the closest I could get to a D5000/D7000 without blowing 1K on used headphones. Give the JVCs a whirl on google and the results would probably guide you in a suitable direction. These are going for ~$600-$650 on audiocubes/pricejapan, shipped.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #28 of 28
So I went and bought a Klipsch S4 to hold me off until I decide what to do next. God damn it that was stupid. Utter garbage. Hopefully I can send these back.

But I definitely believe it's time for some kind of change from the D2000. It's pretty much come down to the HE-400 vs. the Mad Dogz. Still reading all the testimonials on Head-Fi but it's going to be one of these two models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back