Liquid midrange headphones. 100-300$
Oct 15, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #46 of 55
I would try the MS-2, HF-1, DT-880 or HD650.

I would avoid the SA5000 and ety 4 s. They provide good separation but aren't really "liquid." They have a tendency of sounding thin in some set-ups.

As for the K340, they are incredibly warm and anti-neutral. I would only recommend them if you really needed warmth...

-Matt

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #47 of 55
Anti neutral!?!? You must be hearing a different headphoine!!!

...but isn't that the truth with the K340? Each pair is distinct from the other. Or at least in my experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #48 of 55
I CAN'T FIND THE K340s so stop recommending them! I have upgradeitis and need something fast Fast FAST!

That said I would love to snatch up a pair even though the 501's would probably suit me just fine.

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
I CAN'T FIND THE K340s so stop recommending them! I have upgradeitis and need something fast Fast FAST!

That said I would love to snatch up a pair even though the 501's would probably suit me just fine.

...if you don't like bass..
tongue.gif

-Matt

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #50 of 55
heh... sorry bill.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a more positive note, I will be selling mine in a month or so as I've secured a pair of NOS K340's that I am having balanced... recstar has first dibs, but if he's not interested you could by my 'old' k340's
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
heh... sorry bill.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a more positive note, I will be selling mine in a month or so as I've secured a pair of NOS K340's that I am having balanced... recstar has first dibs, but if he's not interested you could by my 'old' k340's
wink.gif

Balanced K340+Dynamight combo is a GOOD plan...

Matt might have heard K340 from Benchmark DAC1 headphone output and the Spark/Cayn tube amp, and these would NOT be good amps for K340, at all. Dynahi/Dynamight power transforms K340 as you know.

Oct 15, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #53 of 55
I'm in the camp that would have voted for the HD650 had they been a choice. I voted for the DT880 which is a close second. From what I've heard so far, the HF-1's are also a good candidate for a liquid, smooth, unoffensive midrange. I've only listened to my HF-1's for about 5 hours, but they're quite good right out of the box. Sade, Dylan, Neil Young, all pretty much what I would have expected in terms of vocal smoothness (or lack thereof in the case of Dylan).

The RS-1's, SA5000's Stax 404's all have a much more 'prominant' midrange (i.e., you take note of it right away because of its forwardness) than the HD650, DT880 or HF-1, but I guess it depends on what you mean by liquid. To me, liquid implies that the midrange gets out of the way and just blends in with the highs and lows without necessarily calling undue attention to itself. If you're looking for 'smooth' vocals (as opposed to headphones with a more aggressive, foot tapping PRaT), then the HD650/Zu would be my first pick. Oh wait, the Zu will push it past $300. But I'd still pick the HD650 and upgrade the cable at a later time.

If your definition of 'liquid' is otherwise and what you're really looking for is ultra detailed and resolving (i.e, microdynamics), then the SA5000's will be tough to beat, other than perhaps by the Stax 404's. The RS-1's are also very resolving and the HD650's are no slouch either, but this is where the DT880's and HF-1's start to get left behind (that is, they have smooth, liquid midranges, but are not nearly as detailed and resolving). This is why I think the HD650's are the best overall blend, and they've got a phonomenal bass response to boot!

Don't know much about the 501's or A900's other than brief meet impressions on a couple of occasions, but neither of them has really grabbed me. Maybe it's the lack of exposure to them, so I can't really say. The HD600's would fit in the smooth, liquid midrange category, but (at least my take on it) is that they're a little lack luster (err, laid back) in other ways. Yet, if what you're after is an "easy listening" type of headphone that is totally inoffensive, the HD600's are probably the most overlooked headphones on the planet for this!

(Never would I thought I'd describe the HD600's as 'overlooked' dating back about 3 years ago, but they really have gotten lost in the shuffle of late).

Oct 15, 2005 at 9:34 AM Post #54 of 55
My understanding of liquid midrange in this poll is that it really means smooth midrange, primarily vocals, so I suppose I understand the popularity of the HD580/600 option... but I would have voted ATH-W10VTG if it were on the list
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[Edit, lol, just noticed it's on the poll] HF-1's a contender. It's got the fuzz!

Best,

-Jason

Oct 9, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #55 of 55

I think it has to do with the amp, the source, and the music.  With HDCD or DVD-A and the right amp, I've found the ER4S liquid on many occassions.  And we're not listening to live music on headphones.  We're listening to recorded music.  Big difference, in the same way photography does not record the visual world exactly.  It changes it.  Tweaks it.  Compresses it.  Etc.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
I am looking for a good set of very "liquid" or "musical" headphones. I really like the sound of my ATH A500s but I also love the sound of my etys. I liked both sennheisers and grados when I listened to them but the lower end grados seem to be a little harsh.With that said what are some good choices in the 100-300 price range.

It's interesting you use the word "liquid" and "etys" in adjacent sentences b/c ety sound would be the antithesis of liquid. So I believe you don't really mean "liquid," b/c real live music is not liquid. You probably meant to say midrange that is even and balanced without peaks or valleys and faithful to the true-to-life micro-textures and inflections with intact harmonics therefore density and richness, which yields side-to-side and back-and-forth 3-D dimensionality that fools you into thinking the singer is RIGHT THERE in front of you. But I get ahead of myself...

Quote:
Live music isn't liquid? What shows are you going to? Though I agree with your point, etys sound harsh and etched and are as far from liquid in the mids as you can get.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Live music isn't liquid? What shows are you going to? Though I agree with your point, etys sound harsh and etched and are as far from liquid in the mids as you can get.
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree with the above
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back