Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Jan 11, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #391 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using ipod + d-jays.

tried many amps and lods and even caps. (if you know jaben is located where i am. audition is available before buying)

at the end of the day, portable means as little stuff as possible.

people with imod+v caps+lisa3+iem is totally missing the point of portability.

Just my 2 cents

People share different poisons and meat. So that would mean your 2nd last sentence is a bit too much of an absolute...

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #392 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using ipod + d-jays.

tried many amps and lods and even caps. (if you know jaben is located where i am. audition is available before buying)

at the end of the day, portable means as little stuff as possible.

people with imod+v caps+lisa3+iem is totally missing the point of portability.

Just my 2 cents

I completely, and respectfully, disagree with this.

Portable is anything you are willing to carry. If that happens to be an iPod Nano and a P-51....or an iMod and Lisa III.............if it's going along with ME...then it's an acceptable, and appropriate, portable rig.

I actually went from a smaller portable set up...to getting a Lisa III for my iMod. Why? Because it gives me the versatility while still being plenty portable.

I tend to carry a brief case or travel with a backpack...so the size of my new set up is not an issue. I have even hit the road with my gear with only a jacket...without a problem.

So I guess the point is....it bothers me when people discount the Lisa as an acceptable portable amp. Acceptable to you...perhaps not...but keep in mind that it is more than acceptable to many.

RIDE

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #393 of 937
Just to be redundant: this is all a personal choice. Speaking for myself, I've never been able to just use iPod/IEM for more than 1 hour because the sound puts me on the edge, makes me grit my teeth. I have a 5.5G 80gb iMod coming my way soon, and have just bought a SR-71a and a pair of ESW10JPNs. My expectations are realistic, given what I listen to at home on my 2-channel, but if it sounds like music, I'll be elated, seriously, because I spend a bulk of my day on the commute and in my office.

I get the rationale behind "you can't pocket the LISA III" or "why waste $ on a portable set-up when you can pimp your home set-up"? Makes a great deal of sense to me b/c I used to belong to the same camp. But that was when I didn't have that daily grind, could devote hours of listening time at home. If you're in that phase of your life, like me, when you spend more time at work or on the road, that extra musicality you can coax out of your transportable system will make your life a bit more bearable. Pleasurable, even. Believe me, I'd rather listen to some vinyl on my Platine Verdier than lossless files on a transportable rig. But we all grow up, and there will be a time when you come home from work, it's already too late to do anything but to down a couple of beers while catching 15 minutes of Sportscenter before hitting the sack. I've been really craving MUSIC on the way to work and at my office, and the iMod and the rest of the rig that's on their way to me right now makes me feel SERIOUSLY delirious.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #394 of 937
i enjoy my portable rig so much. I always say to myself "wow, how great it is to enjoy music like this when out driving, or walking around." Its wonderful to even sit outside and enjoy the music.

It seems like the original poster was trying to create a home rig from portable gear. I dont think the Ultrasone ED9s can be driven by portable gear. But thats probably where his frustration came from.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #395 of 937
I love my portable rig so much! It makes my music sound better therefore It's awesome.

Plus nothing beats the moments when people go "whats that" about the headphone amplifier. How I make them wish they didn't ask!

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #396 of 937
Well, on my trip to Maui for Xmas I actually used my iMod with LOD to Meier Headsix with NE-7M and ATH-ANC7 and appreciated the extra power of the amp to overcome the engine noise. That way I saved my Predator and XM5 rechargable batteries for the hotel room Macbook and bedside rigs, so i wouldn't have to lug around a bunch of chargers. I could set the XM5 to shut off after 3 hours at night, and not run the battery down. Of course on the way back the iMod/LOD/Amp almost bought me a strip search because I didn't take it apart for the xray screening process...

Walking around the street or on the beach I used an iPhone 3G or 4G nano with no amp and some IEM, and saved the ESW10 for the hotel room. It was nice having a nice DAC/amp with headphones (or a few) for travel.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #397 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, on my trip to Maui for Xmas I actually used my iMod with LOD to Meier Headsix with NE-7M and ATH-ANC7 and appreciated the extra power of the amp to overcome the engine noise. That way I saved my Predator and XM5 rechargable batteries for the hotel room Macbook and bedside rigs, so i wouldn't have to lug around a bunch of chargers. I could set the XM5 to shut off after 3 hours at night, and not run the battery down. Of course on the way back the iMod/LOD/Amp almost bought me a strip search because I didn't take it apart for the xray screening process...

Walking around the street or on the beach I used an iPhone 3G or 4G nano with no amp and some IEM, and saved the ESW10 for the hotel room. It was nice having a nice DAC/amp with headphones (or a few) for travel.

Although I've done it too, I'm starting to think that raising the volume to overcome external noise is not a good thing for your ears.....
dt880smile.png

USG

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #398 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I've done it too, I'm starting to think that raising the volume to overcome external noise is not a good thing for your ears.....
dt880smile.png

USG

Not it's not, but I wanted to appreciate the bass better and only with an amp could I hear the deep bass.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #399 of 937
Larry, it was supposed to be a vacation yet you were packing yourself so many gears. No wonder TSA officers can't tell you apart from the unabomber
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #400 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hardly a spoiled audiophile - I've not got any grand rigs or anything. What I've got is in the photos up there. I fund my audio quest with a measley $8.60 an hour - and I think a lot of other portable hifi consumers are also going with this option in the idea that it's the more affordable route to put your foot in the door with hearing some good sound. It's just not true. And even if you're a billionaire, why waste a cent of it?

Really? This is like telling people that they should only drive a base model Civic with cranker windows and no power steering because the additional cost of automatic windows and power steering isn't justified for the minimal convenience.

I don't like power steering because it adds unneeded weight to the car and another fluid I have to change (which is inconvenient).

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #401 of 937
Great post... I recently switched to iPhone 3G/Ety HF-2 for portable use and don't miss lugging an amp around.

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #402 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? This is like telling people that they should only drive a base model Civic with cranker windows and no power steering because the additional cost of automatic windows and power steering isn't justified for the minimal convenience.

I don't like power steering because it adds unneeded weight to the car and another fluid I have to change (which is inconvenient).

If those power windows were bigger then the car and cost more... and it already had power steering.

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #403 of 937
I had a 1981 BMW 320i that had manual steering and I doubt that you would want to be doing much parallel parking in a car any bigger than that with manual steering - that was plenty enough effort to me, but it was a great car on the highway and in the city. I also had a 1998 Honda Civic and I am pretty sure it had power assisted steering - it certainly was a lot easier to parallel park than the BMW, that's for sure. Also, they both had manual windows which was fine by me.

One thing that the BMW had was good airflow in the summer in that you could drive around with the rear windows opened up (they tilted out instead of going up and down), the sunroof open and the vents open and it was very comfortable whereas the Civic needed the A/C on on when it got above 70* F or so.

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #405 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one that can't stand the volume out of an LOD?

Even with my cans, running my iPod via LOD to my Corda XXS is so damn loud at minimum volume that I can't listen to it for more than 10 seconds.

Did you set the Corda to low gain/current?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back