Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Dec 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #376 of 937
I applaud the OP for having the courage to be a heretic among the faithful - or for very clever trolling...
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm probably the opposite of mrarroyo - my primary portable listening environment is very high noise - my daily 1.5 hr commute each way by train or long airplane rides. For me, isolation and comfort are actually more important than getting the last bit of SQ. I don't use an amp while traveling - I tried it, but my IEMs don't really need it, and I discovered that all I was doing was turning the music up louder, not making it better. Having my ears ring was not my goal. I have actually had more success and fun by experimenting with different tips for my IEMs - including making my own from ear plugs. Trying to optimize comfort, isolation & SQ with the equipment I already own is now my primary portable passion.

If I had a job closer to home, or traveled less, I would probably be focused on my desktop rig. One thing I do know is that I would be focused on SOMETHING...
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #377 of 937
I think the OP was just saying "I have buyers remorse, and I want you to have it too.."

I've always thought the imod/dock offered very little over just a $10 line out dock, and when you add in that extra box, yeah it does lose a lot of portability.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #378 of 937
Amazing post. At first I was considering a Zune 120, a very nice amp and LOD, new cans, etc. I had an epiphany, though, a little while before your post. I basically realized the same thing. Now, I couldn't be happier with my little Sansa Fuze-->FiiO E3-->Head-Direct RE2.

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #379 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the OP was just saying "I have buyers remorse, and I don't want you to have it too.."

I've always thought the imod/dock offered very little over just a $10 line out dock, and when you add in that extra box, yeah it does lose a lot of portability.

FTFY

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #380 of 937
Heh, no, I stand by what I said..

I think the OP was just saying "I have buyers remorse, and I want you to have it too.."

Subtle difference it makes huh?

It's possible the OP really was performing a PSA, but it came across as a lecture to me.

I agree however that there's a much better Price Performance ratio to be had with home gear than portable gear, just don't call it silly, or you're calling everyone who does appreciate the gear silly too. And we don't need a Portable Vs Home gear schism on Head-Fi. It's bad enough with the Dynamic Vs Electrostatic factions.

Personally, I think a simple "I've decided to sell my portable gear for a home setup as I feel it has a better price performance ratio..", would have sufficed, but then again it wouldn't have gotten so much attention..

Let's all just agree to disagree and have a Happy Holiday season.. and hope no one bought Luminette a portable amp for Christmas eh
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #382 of 937
Quote:

Subtle difference it makes huh?

It's possible the OP really was performing a PSA, but it came across as a lecture to me.

I agree however that there's a much better Price Performance ratio to be had with home gear than portable gear, just don't call it silly, or you're calling everyone who does appreciate the gear silly too. And we don't need a Portable Vs Home gear schism on Head-Fi. It's bad enough with the Dynamic Vs Electrostatic factions.

Personally, I think a simple "I've decided to sell my portable gear for a home setup as I feel it has a better price performance ratio..", would have sufficed, but then again it wouldn't have gotten so much attention..

Let's all just agree to disagree and have a Happy Holiday season.. and hope no one bought Luminette a portable amp for Christmas eh
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry man, I was outta line then. Happy holidays, hope you get whatever you want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #383 of 937
No need to apologise, but that you did, says a lot for you.

Is it bad I don't really want anything new, audio-gear wise?

New music is always welcome though
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, back on topic people ...

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #384 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: My kids probably think I am bringing the macbook so they can surf myspace all day, but my wife says they'll have to do surf lessons at the beach instead... Since I'm disabled I get to surf the web while they surf the waves.

Haha, this is great!

Typical audio enthusiast gear-head geekdom...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Can I put it in my sig?
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #385 of 937
Quote:

I feel bad that I'm perfectly happy with my D2 and J2 Jbuds and don't feel the need to spend anymore money on my portable stuff.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #387 of 937
I think if you're an avid music lover and use portable audio frequently, spending a lot on gear isn't silly at all if you get the SQ improvement you expected.
If porta-fi is anything like home hi-fi, there's a cost/benefit curve that flattens out at the high end. The benefit is there, but important to the decriminating listener in an ideal environment.
I'm starting out at the very low end of head-fi gear. For my iPod 5.5, I use JVC FX66 AirCushions and Optimus Pro 25s with a Fiio E3. At home, I use an old Kenwood integrated amp with an iPod/LOD, JVC HA RX900 and Denon D1001 headphones. While I'm happy at the moment with all this, I'm wanting to try a Fiio E5 or CMOY amp, (just waiting on some E5 vs CMOY reviews). Proceeding in this way, I may well end up with an iQube and a $500 set of IEMs, but probably not for a few years.

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #388 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailzs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel bad that I'm perfectly happy with my D2 and J2 Jbuds and don't feel the need to spend anymore money on my portable stuff.

Don't feel bad. There' s nothing wrong with being content with what you have. I still use the Optimus Pro 25 headphones I bought in 1988.

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #389 of 937
i love my rig, even though its a bit cumbersome to carry around. but it provides me with the audio quality that i've been wanting. i guess that's why many of us have 2 rigs?

another that you can just slip into your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back