LCD-X and XC Update
Dec 9, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,366 of 2,741
I like my LCD-X, although not really necessary, I would like to have closed headphones, LCD-X and LCD-XC, presumably they are too similar, or is it justifiable to have both?
I’m wondering about his myself. It would be great to hear from people that have both the LCD-X 2021 update and the LCD-XC 2021 update cans to see what they say.

For people that have both, and not just for isolation, when do people listen to one over the other, etc? I have an LCD-X 2021 update headphone and I am strongly considering buying an LCD-XC 2021 update headphone.

I’m wondering if the LCD-XC 2021 update cans will sound too similar to the LCD-X 2021 update cans. I plan to listen to both using the Roon 2021 update DSP presets.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,367 of 2,741
I think the discussion LCD-X vs XC is a bit short, so I will have to convince myself. An LCD-XC is coming soon, let's see what I like better.

For my „RME Adi-2 Dac“ I need a max. 5 band basic EQ setting, I will try it with the recommendation of HEADFONICS:
Low Shelf at 60 hz, + 6dB Q of 0.2
Peak at 6000 hz, -2dB Q of 1.0

Is that EQ-setting a recommendable starting point? Has anyone tried it, or is it a bit too simple?
Yes I use that EQ setting with Roon. Its a good reference EQ for me. I then tinker with some of the midrange to my liking based on the music I am listening to at the time.

Dec 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,368 of 2,741
Well, I've been complaining about the bass in these headphones lately, the LCD-X 2021's, and I have to say....I have found out about bass shelves. Using EasyQ, I was able to create a bass shelf and get some of the bass response that I thought was it lacking. Gobs of deep, wondrous, bass notes have been brought forth in ear pleasing bliss by this creation. This of course stole more than 3 hrs of my life, listening to a good part of my library, staring into space of the epicness of what I was finally hearing - IMO what I'm supposed to hear at this price point.

Dec 10, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,369 of 2,741
Well, I've been complaining about the bass in these headphones lately, the LCD-X 2021's, and I have to say....I have found out about bass shelves. Using EasyQ, I was able to create a bass shelf and get some of the bass response that I thought was it lacking. Gobs of deep, wondrous, bass notes have been brought forth in ear pleasing bliss by this creation. This of course stole more than 3 hrs of my life, listening to a good part of my library, staring into space of the epicness of what I was finally hearing - IMO what I'm supposed to hear at this price point.

yes yes, without EQ its just lacking bass imo! when EQed - I use 2 shelfs, one I think +3 120hz and one +5 60hz and thats the 1k $ bass!

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,370 of 2,741
The collection is now complete as it pertains to this thread:

IMG_2796.jpg
Headphones 1.jpg
IMG_2799.jpg

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #1,371 of 2,741
The LCD-XC arrived today, let it warm up for a few hours and carried out a functional check.

Some EQ-recommendations cannot be set at the RME, because Q below 0.5 cannot be used. Initially three bands are enough:
Low Shelf at 60 Hz, + 4dB Q of 0.5
Peak at 130 hz, + 1.5dB Q of 0.5
Peak at 5900 hz, -2dB Q of 4.0
I am open to recommendations...

Let's see what I like better, X or XC.

F2FC098E-8989-4873-80AD-89AD6B33C969.jpeg
2C97A833-83F0-4001-AB99-F650229B8381.jpeg

E0E3B563-D997-4450-AC8F-0B41564C3270.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #1,372 of 2,741
After an initial adjustment disorder, which is due to the closed principle of the XC, the XC impresses me. Compared to the X, the sound is more grippy, as is the spatial representation. Has anyone who has compared the X to the XC opted for the X, and if so, why?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,373 of 2,741
But with some eq bass boost, does the 2021 perform as well in that department as the old one? Especially in terms of slam/impact?
According to past review about Audeze Headphones, since Audeze Planar Driver are very low in THD across the whole frequency range.. They can accept wide range of boost/attenuation at any frequency before even reaching any distortion audible to us.. is a very flexible driver to be EQ..

So according to previous reply, 2018 can EQ to sound like the 2021 and 2021 can EQ to sound like the 2018, but it will never be 100% identical in presentation of the sound, as the new updates to the driver as mentioned by previous user make it sounds more open and airier (probably reduced magnets to 6 allow more air between the driver) than previous 8 magnets version

Slam/impact, i'll say the previous version may have slightly "thicker" amount due to the nature of the driver design technology, but if EQ 2021 version it can get nears too by boosting the sub frequencies and results in a airier tighter slam impact presentation

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #1,374 of 2,741
More importantly, can the old ones perform as well as the new ones? What’s the big improvement? Audeze wants $580 to upgrade to the new drivers.
as a two year owner of the 2018 version, just my guess, can perform near to the updated one but not fully identical in presentation due to the difference in number of magnets which definitely have difference in amount of air allow into the driver, easiest way to get closer to the new version sound is to change to the new updated thinner pads of 2021 :)

Dec 10, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #1,375 of 2,741
Curious if there have been any generational changes made to the MX4 similar to the X/XC changes they've made in time? I have had my MX4 for maybe 3 years now (replaced my X & XC) and wondering if the most recent MX4 are any different?

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #1,376 of 2,741
I’m wondering about his myself. It would be great to hear from people that have both the LCD-X 2021 update and the LCD-XC 2021 update cans to see what they say.

For people that have both, and not just for isolation, when do people listen to one over the other, etc? I have an LCD-X 2021 update headphone and I am strongly considering buying an LCD-XC 2021 update headphone.

I’m wondering if the LCD-XC 2021 update cans will sound too similar to the LCD-X 2021 update cans. I plan to listen to both using the Roon 2021 update DSP presets.
Below attached are my X 2018 version and X 2021 version and X 2021 with Closedback XC Bubinga cup

Sharing my presonal impression since you asked,
One thing you mentioned correct, the XC really greatly significantly isolate all the ambient sound around you, turning an open X into a closed XC, taking the XC off only to realise is actually quite noisy outside there but the XC Cup blocked all of them.

Ok, enough for isolation, from my experience, XC are way more brighter and DRIER sounding than the Open version, sub bass and bass texture are lesser than the X 2021, if you refer to the graph i measured, it does reflect to my hearing, the closedback version probably due to the closed cup, more sound reflection probably happened in the Closed cup, so mid to high frequency get reflected and bounces more inside, resulting in a greater boost in the frequency starting from 1k to 10kHz,

So my impression goes this way, due to the XC greater mid to treble boost, the sound is drier and brighter and Harsher, listening volume will be lower due to that else your ears will get tired quite fast.
Since the XC mid to treble boost is so significantly boosted, it OVERSHADOWED the bass frequency region a bit, which is why i said the XC is a less warm and brigther drier harsher version of X 2021, I think all those details revealing due to the boost is more suitable for tracking use in studio, for music listening I do not quite say is recommended (personal opinion) due to the mid treble boost as you can't use too high volume and get tired and fatigue quickly

Another thing i heard and also reflected in the graph (100Hz - 700Hz) is the Vocals and Tonal are slightly thinner, lesser body than the Open X 2021 , as the frequency region at the range are responsible for tonality naturalness and texture.
But also due to the gentle slope, it helps reveal details easier but at expense of thinner tonal, the same tuning i noticed like most of ATH headphones

The same goes to the sub bass frequency extension which is lesser due to the greater mid treble boost made you not able to pump too much volume into listening
Lower volume, lower power, lesser driver movement to produce the deep frequencies.
But XC 2021 will appear to be more studio thick bass , not to say XC 2021 is boomy, but just slightly boomier than X 2021 which can be seen in the graph at the 40Hz to 300Hz region which have a wide hump over the Open X 2021 version which is linear all the way from 40Hz to 800Hz

Sorry i repeatedly mentioning/emphasizing the term Brighter Drier Harsher many times, it really is very obvious capturing my attention about it over the X 2021

So in my summary conclusion, XC 2021 is a Brighter Drier Harsher Thinner over the Open X 2021 :D
Open X 2021 is warmer, more natural sounding and easier to ears :)

For Studio and flaws tracking use, the XC 2021
For Music Enjoyment , the X 2021

Hope it helps, all are my subjective impressions :D

Attachments

• XXC.jpg
    XXC.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 0
  • X 2021 vs XC 2021.jpg
    X 2021 vs XC 2021.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #1,377 of 2,741
Curious if there have been any generational changes made to the MX4 similar to the X/XC changes they've made in time? I have had my MX4 for maybe 3 years now (replaced my X & XC) and wondering if the most recent MX4 are any different?
I've asked Audeze, according to them, the answer to your question is a No,
According to them the MX4 will still use the pre 2021 X/XC driver design and with the stronger LCD-4 1.5 Tesla Magnets that is unique to the MX4 model
The MX4 never receive any 2021 driver technology updates but the latest MX4 i think will come with the new 2021 thinner LCD PADS which sure will changed the sound tuning a bit, likely affecting the 3kHz to 5kHz region

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #1,378 of 2,741
Below attached are my X 2018 version and X 2021 version and X 2021 with Closedback XC Bubinga cup

Sharing my presonal impression since you asked,
One thing you mentioned correct, the XC really greatly significantly isolate all the ambient sound around you, turning an open X into a closed XC, taking the XC off only to realise is actually quite noisy outside there but the XC Cup blocked all of them.

Ok, enough for isolation, from my experience, XC are way more brighter and DRIER sounding than the Open version, sub bass and bass texture are lesser than the X 2021, if you refer to the graph i measured, it does reflect to my hearing, the closedback version probably due to the closed cup, more sound reflection probably happened in the Closed cup, so mid to high frequency get reflected and bounces more inside, resulting in a greater boost in the frequency starting from 1k to 10kHz,

I could'nt measure the XC 2021 graph (82dB) at the same dB level as the X 2021(85dB) because the XC 2kHz are much greater than the X 2021, that the Mini DSP EARS Microphone Clip at the volume of measuring,
so when looking at my graph, 1Hz to 1kHz in the XC 2021 is lower than X 2021, but you can just imagine it or edit it to 85dB to see the actual level similar to the X 2021

So my impression goes this way, due to the XC greater mid to treble boost, the sound is drier and brighter and Harsher, listening volume will be lower due to that else your ears will get tired quite fast.
Since the XC mid to treble boost is so significantly boosted, it OVERSHADOWED the bass frequency region a bit, which is why i said the XC is a less warm and brigther drier harsher version of X 2021, I think all those details revealing due to the boost is more suitable for tracking use in studio, for music listening I do not quite say is recommended (personal opinion) due to the mid treble boost as you can't use too high volume and get tired and fatigue quickly

Another thing i heard and also reflected in the graph (100Hz - 700Hz) is the Vocals and Tonal are slightly thinner, lesser body than the Open X 2021 , as the frequency region at the range are responsible for tonality naturalness and texture.
But also due to the gentle slope, it helps reveal details easier but at expense of thinner tonal, the same tuning i noticed like most of ATH headphones

The same goes to the sub bass frequency extension which is lesser due to the greater mid treble boost made you not able to pump too much volume into listening
Lower volume, lower power, lesser driver movement to produce the deep frequencies.
But XC 2021 will appear to be more studio thick bass , not to say XC 2021 is boomy, but just slightly boomier than X 2021 which can be seen in the graph at the 40Hz to 300Hz region which have a wide hump over the Open X 2021 version which is linear all the way from 40Hz to 800Hz

Sorry i repeatedly mentioning/emphasizing the term Brighter Drier Harsher many times, it really is very obvious capturing my attention about it over the X 2021

So in my summary conclusion, XC 2021 is a Brighter Drier Harsher Thinner over the Open X 2021 :D
Open X 2021 is warmer, more natural sounding and easier to ears :)

For Studio and flaws tracking use, the XC 2021
For Music Enjoyment , the X 2021

Hope it helps, all are my subjective impressions :D
Really nice detailed analysis thanks

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,379 of 2,741
The pendulum swings towards -XC. Its sound is neutral-exciting, more tangible, as is the spatial representation. Well suited for quiet listening. Bass is available as needed, EQ is your friend.

My new basic EQ setting is:
Low Shelf at 60 Hz, + 4dB Q of 0.5
Peak at 130 hz, + 1.5dB Q of 0.5
Peak at 6000 hz, -2dB Q of 1.0
With this forgiving EQ, I can enjoy music for hours without listening fatigue. As far as the recording allows, I use the previous EQ setting. Only the change is attached as a photo.

The XC is ideally suited for fine recordings, for example in classical music and jazz, which I mostly hear.

The -X has a better decay. Easier to ears“ as „Ddhead“ already said, but less details and a less plausible spatial representation.

E6BCB506-0CA3-43F2-AF2C-8A1BC36E3C70.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,380 of 2,741
Around twenty-eight years ago I came up from San Diego and I spent April through October living with my Cousins in Moreno Valley which is an hour+ east of LA. A couple of my uncles and older cousins were in a metal band. I spent many long days in the garage or studio rehearsing through practice and recording sessions. It get hot as a MFer in the Inland Empire and all of this was done without AC. Fans were used when not recording but they barely helped. I also served as a roady for a number of live performances in and around LA, which was quite an experience at only 17.

I was in the room for every last note when their album was recorded (pic of my original, first batch copy below). In all the years since, nothing has brought me back to the feeling of being in the room that summer. Until this week. I sat down and plugged my LCD-XC into my RME ADI-2 DAC and magic! Goose bumps. Memories. I am pretty sure I could feel the room, the air moving in and out of the aluminum cone drivers pumping out angry banter from my cousin Chads six string bass. The sweat trickling down my spine. The sense of relief after many hot hours of take after take, when uncle Mike finally says “that’s it, we got it. That was the one”.

I know exactly what this recording sounded like and is supposed to sound like. I think it says a lot about the combination of RME ADI-2 DAC and LCD-XC that in all the years of listening to this CD, I never had this feeling of being reunited with that time until today.

AC1E9DC0-7991-45F6-ADDE-51D8FD320093.jpeg

This is the only pic I have of that summer. Sadly, I am not in it as I was standing behind the camera. This was a birthday party used as a tune up de-bugging session for a planned live show the following weekend.
A8CE34F0-ED20-49AC-A158-C923108DB104.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back