LCD-X and XC Update
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #1,381 of 2,744
Did anyone tried their XC with iFi iDSD Signature? Does XC sound good enough with Signature?

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,385 of 2,744
Weird you say x sounds one dimensional. First thing somebody said was xc sounds 3d
Before EQ, X seems comparatively one-dimensional, the XC shows the depth better.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,386 of 2,744
X is comparatively one-dimensional, the XC shows the depth better.
That's interesting. Do you think that on recordings with accurate/natural spacial information you're getting real front to back depth information or reflections in the cups are filling out the sound?

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #1,387 of 2,744
Did anyone tried their XC with iFi iDSD Signature? Does XC sound good enough with Signature?
I don’t have the iDsd sig but I just got the xdsd gryphon. Early testing, so far enjoying it and has plenty of power.

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #1,388 of 2,744
That's interesting. Do you think that on recordings with accurate/natural spacial information you're getting real front to back depth information or reflections in the cups are filling out the sound?
That's a good question, an audio engineer can answer it more competently than I can. As a simple music listener, the depth representation, or the illusion of it, makes it easier for me to enjoy.

Dec 14, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,389 of 2,744
X is comparatively one-dimensional, the XC shows the depth better.
hmm.. i think there's no right or wrong here :) , but my impression last time was also opposite from yours. I somehow experience more 3D depth and imaging from the Open X than the XC... But i guess there are many factors for the output sound presentation we are experiencing depending on every individual DAC/Amp used to pair with our own either X/XC. I guess the X/XC are just revealing enough, capable of presenting us with any slight changes in sound and presentation when we used with different or changes in pairing setup :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,390 of 2,744
My XC is gone, I can no longer compare. If the depth is the same, it could be felt to be less at the X, because of the wider stage of the X. In addition, I had the impression of a more grippy image of the XC, which also makes the impression of depth easier.

Anyway, I'll keep the X, the headphones can be adjusted according to taste, EQ makes the sound really good, the highs come out beautifully. Bass can be added as desired.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,391 of 2,744
My XC is gone, I can no longer compare. If the depth is the same, it could be felt to be less at the X, because of the wider stage of the X. In addition, I had the impression of a more grippy image of the XC, which also makes the impression of depth easier.

Anyway, I'll keep the X, the headphones can be adjusted according to taste, EQ makes the sound really good, the highs come out beautifully. Bass can be added as desired.
I understand you. Open headphones sound open, like they have infinite soundstage but the actual sound comes from a very close source(drivers). Closed back headphones have a more defined soundstage which make me appreciate the depth and spatial presentation more. I like my DT 770's soundstage better than Ananda or DT 1990 for example. It feels bigger, have more spatial stimulation. It's like you are entering a personal movie theater. Haven't heard HD800 but only open back headphone that gives me that feeling is actually Fidelio X2HR. It has good soundstage.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,393 of 2,744
To me the XC always sounded a lot more 'fun' than the X with a punchier bass and a more dub-step type groove. The X though I would consider closer to 'reference' sounding. I used to use my XC at work to block the room noise and X at home both on WA7 tube amps. Today I used the MX4 at home on PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Amp with McIntosh D1100 DAC and it has a lot of the fun qualities from the XC plus the reference accuracy of the X all in one and I'm retired so the XC have taken a hook in the closet :wink:

Anyone looking for a vintage 1st gen XC with the Purple Heart earcups same like my profile picture PM me. They are upgraded with the carbon fiber headband and both vegan plush and leather pads and are in mint condition. I also have custom Sonarworks calibration files for them that tunes them to within 1db of perfect flat.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,395 of 2,744

You got a point there, XC does have a more grippy image :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back