LCD-X and XC Update
Dec 7, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,351 of 2,744
Gotta save money where you can! Everyone likes to something they can use for free! :D

I'm still considering mathEQ and even reveal+, as the cans and DAC were not cheap.
I hear you! Whatever works :) I just wanted to give an argument for a different path as I see a lot of people on the peace EQ + Equalizer APO path and, not only does it not work for me (mac user) but, the mac equivalent just isn’t as convenient or user-friendly as the Sonarworks app. I feel some people could get satisfying results easier by just buying the Sonarworks app. Some people enjoy tinkering AND want to save money and, for them, peace+equalizer APO will be more than enough for them.

I also still think that people buy the LCD-X and get frustrated trying to EQ them to their liking and end up returning. I think if they found a simple way to EQ earlier they could find enjoyment in the sound of their cans earlier as they would be able to experience the potential of the LCD-X straight away.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,353 of 2,744
not only does it not work for me (mac user) but, the mac equivalent just isn’t as convenient or user-friendly as the Sonarworks app.
So I’m in the same boat (Mac) and while I do enjoy Roon, I’m interested to try other alternatives. I’ll have to give Sonarworks a go!

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #1,354 of 2,744
So I’m in the same boat (Mac) and while I do enjoy Roon, I’m interested to try other alternatives. I’ll have to give Sonarworks a go!
Ya! Another thing you could do… is download soundsource and use it to run an EQ plugin system-wide. But I found that to be more of a hassle then just using one program.

Give it a go. They just updated their LCD-X preset to include the 2021 model and it’s great in my opinion. If you find it too hot in the mids you can easily bring it down a few db as well.

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,355 of 2,744
Ya! Another thing you could do… is download soundsource and use it to run an EQ plugin system-wide. But I found that to be more of a hassle then just using one program.

Give it a go. They just updated their LCD-X preset to include the 2021 model and it’s great in my opinion. If you find it too hot in the mids you can easily bring it down a few db as well.
My friend, if you are ever in central Florida I shall buy you a drink! So the SoundID preset was rather nice (much better than the Roon imo) but needed just the slightest tweaking in the mids and low end just needed to be smoothed out a little (I tend to bass boost 0.6-3.2db more than the average joe). I don’t run the Audeze presets all that much but more so to A/B but after loading in my target curve that I was originally running and letting the software do its adjustments I can honestly say this is the most refined my LCD’s have sounded. Thanks my friend!

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #1,356 of 2,744
My friend, if you are ever in central Florida I shall buy you a drink! So the SoundID preset was rather nice (much better than the Roon imo) but needed just the slightest tweaking in the mids and low end just needed to be smoothed out a little (I tend to bass boost 0.6-3.2db more than the average joe). I don’t run the Audeze presets all that much but more so to A/B but after loading in my target curve that I was originally running and letting the software do its adjustments I can honestly say this is the most refined my LCD’s have sounded. Thanks my friend!
Hey, I've been basically a Central Floridian for like 30 years . Buy ME a drink. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #1,357 of 2,744

You’re welcome! I’m glad it worked well for you (as I find it does for me). Happy listening :)

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #1,359 of 2,744
Has anyone had a chance to compare the 2021 LCD-XC and the Verite Closed?
I have and they are very different headphones in terms of sound signature. So different in fact, I plan to own both. I loved them both instantly for very different reasons. VC have much warmer & a bit more natural mids, especially with vocals. Also a bit less air up top. XC are more clinical and bass reaches lower. XC are less punchy until you EQ then they can do anything the VC can do and then some, except the warm vocals with natural decay. I have not EQ'd a VC but likely they do not take EQ like the XC. Even if you were to measure and EQ these to the same target, they would still sound very different. That is the ace of the XC though, you can EQ it to be just about any headphone you want without degrading the sound in any way. That is why it is the one headphone I will always have going forward. I will get a VC soon though. Waiting for a nice purple or dark green stabilized to come along on the used market.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #1,360 of 2,744
Thank you. Well I was just contemplating if I should upgrade my LCD-XC or get into a debt and buy a Verite closed since it is 4 times the upgrade price. And here you are saying they are both to keep. 😅
I know I’ve mentioned several times that I’m Turkish but that’s the root of my financial problems. 🤷🏻

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #1,361 of 2,744
I like my LCD-X, although not really necessary, I would like to have closed headphones, LCD-X and LCD-XC, presumably they are too similar, or is it justifiable to have both?
I think the discussion LCD-X vs XC is a bit short, so I will have to convince myself. An LCD-XC is coming soon, let's see what I like better.

For my „RME Adi-2 Dac“ I need a max. 5 band basic EQ setting, I will try it with the recommendation of HEADFONICS:
Low Shelf at 60 hz, + 6dB Q of 0.2
Peak at 6000 hz, -2dB Q of 1.0

Is that EQ-setting a recommendable starting point? Has anyone tried it, or is it a bit too simple?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #1,362 of 2,744
Thank you. Well I was just contemplating if I should upgrade my LCD-XC or get into a debt and buy a Verite closed since it is 4 times the upgrade price. And here you are saying they are both to keep. 😅
I know I’ve mentioned several times that I’m Turkish but that’s the root of my financial problems. 🤷🏻
Yeah i was dreaming about LCD X but it became impossible after the latest devaluation. TL worth nothing. There is no reasonable distributor in Turkey either so we have to buy internationally which is extra burden (shipping, tax, rma etc). It's good to know there are people like you though. Audiophile community is small in Turkey. (which is normal btw, it's just fantastically expensive hobby for Turkey). You need to be either rich or enthusiastic about it like me.

My impression from what i read is Verite Closed probably the best closed back headphone out there. Also Zach is respected among community and offer lifetime warranty afaik. So you get a good service as well.
Sony MDR-Z1R is kinda underrated gem also. It's highly unlikely due to economy but my closed back goal is LCD 2C closed back. Some say it's toe to toe with LCD XC or even better although there aren't enough review with the latest revisions of these cans.

Dec 9, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #1,363 of 2,744
Yeah i was dreaming about LCD X but it became impossible after the latest devaluation. TL worth nothing. There is no reasonable distributor in Turkey either so we have to buy internationally which is extra burden (shipping, tax, rma etc). It's good to know there are people like you though. Audiophile community is small in Turkey. (which is normal btw, it's just fantastically expensive hobby for Turkey). You need to be either rich or enthusiastic about it like me.

My impression from what i read is Verite Closed probably the best closed back headphone out there. Also Zach is respected among community and offer lifetime warranty afaik. So you get a good service as well.
Sony MDR-Z1R is kinda underrated gem also. It's highly unlikely due to economy but my closed back goal is LCD 2C closed back. Some say it's toe to toe with LCD XC or even better although there aren't enough review with the latest revisions of these cans.
Oh hello there fellow Turkish head-fi'er :D
This period has become unfortunate for people like you and me since there is an explosion of new products in the headphone market but we just make do with watching.
I own an LCD-XC and used to own the LCD2-CB and If you scroll back a few comments, you can see my impressions.
I hope you get one. Even though this period is tough, my hope is that we shall see better days.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,364 of 2,744
I own a 2 year old Maple LCD-XC (sorry for not being able to compare the revised one but you'll have an idea) and as a previous LCD2-CB owner my impressions are as such;
- The most noticeable difference on my side was the difference in energy. 2-CB has relatively a more laid-back character. XC is much more forward and energetic in comparison. So while metal music was not okay for me with 2-CB, jazz, lounge etc. was considerably good.
- 2-CB has more bass and it felt really good but I don't think it is as refined as XC bass though XC bass is less in quantity (yes even the older XC compared to 2-CB)
- As you too have mentioned, details are noticeably more vivid and alive with sharper edges on the XC and while 2-CB was not bad, its details were more rounded.
- There is a roll-off especially in treble with the 2-CB in comparison with the XC. So due to this XC feels more airy, I love the openness of treble in XC.
- 2-CB offers a much more comfortable listen due to being warmer, you can chill and listen to your music and do your stuff. On the other side XC compels you to listen the music, keeps you on edge.

So both has its merits and areas of use.
XC reminds me my DT 1990. I miss those. Better executed version of 1990 would be nice. This type of sound signature can have really good imaging and sound amazing with energetic rock metal music. My Ananda can be boring with this genre compared to 1990.

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,365 of 2,744
XC reminds me my DT 1990. I miss those. Better executed version of 1990 would be nice. This type of sound signature can have really good imaging and sound amazing with energetic rock metal music. My Ananda can be boring with this genre compared to 1990.
XC is aggressive and even though it is a bit clinical compared to some warmer cans, it retains the fun due to its energy. I used to like smoothness in treble but XC has one of the best treble in the headphone world so it positively excites me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back