LCD-X and XC Update
May 7, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #526 of 2,722
Can you re-attach once peeled off?
Yes. Use paper that secures adhesive from new pads and apply to adhesive ring on old pads. This should help keep adhesive tape clean and sticky enough for future use.

May 8, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #527 of 2,722
I'm guessing new XC may be too forward in upper mids as old versions brought up the upper mids from that old X dip cups off.

May 8, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #528 of 2,722
Patiently waiting for my pair of LCD-X '21 to arrive. Bought them 1 month old from someone who ended up going closed instead with ZMF. They will be my open back alternative to my closed Denon AH-D9200, and driven balanced by my Questyle CMA Twelve Master... Can't wait to give them their first spin. Here's hoping for a good match... 😇
They will be shipped on Monday, hopefully they will arrive before next weekend ❤️😎

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #529 of 2,722
For those who bought from Audeze direct, how long did it take to ship out and be delivered?

May 11, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #530 of 2,722
So where do I plug in the numbers?

I don't own an EQ...and no one seems to make them these days. I actually have looked...maybe I don’t know where to look...but they aren’t common in stacks I’ve shopped for.

They don’t seem to be built into much headphone gear. I don’t run my music off of a computer...so a software EQ is out.

I think it’s important to understand that people have different depths of knowledge when it comes to tech and different interest in getting deep into this.

I think we’re lucky that enough people care about sound quality to seek out sites like this one and are willing to spend a ton of money on gear and want to discuss it in a forum.

Asking them to figure out how to use an EQ to alter FR feels like something that is reserved for the most dedicated level of audiophile/HiFi heads. It’s a barrier to entry...it’s asking additional work of the user. It’s just bad for business if you ask me.

Again...I didn’t come here to derail the convo on the X...so back to our regularly scheduled program!
I understand this might be a nice option for EQing your headphone set-up, from a well-reputed American Made headphone amp/dac/component company:
https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-mini-3

May 11, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #531 of 2,722
May 15, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #533 of 2,722
Patiently waiting for my pair of LCD-X '21 to arrive. Bought them 1 month old from someone who ended up going closed instead with ZMF. They will be my open back alternative to my closed Denon AH-D9200, and driven balanced by my Questyle CMA Twelve Master... Can't wait to give them their first spin. Here's hoping for a good match... 😇
They will be shipped on Monday, hopefully they will arrive before next weekend ❤️😎
I'm interested to hear how they compare to the Denons. I've been looking for a set of openbacks to complement my D9200s, but they set the bar so high that it's difficult to find anything that's in the same league.

May 15, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #534 of 2,722
I'm interested to hear how they compare to the Denons. I've been looking for a set of openbacks to complement my D9200s, but they set the bar so high that it's difficult to find anything that's in the same league.
How are the Denon's soundstage for a closedback? I can tell you that the LCD-X doens't have that wide and deep soundstage some expect from planar openbacks. When I switch between my Focal Radiance to the LCD-X I don't go "Wow, sounds so open!" like I did with the hifiman Aryas.

May 15, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #535 of 2,722
How are the Denon's soundstage for a closedback? I can tell you that the LCD-X doens't have that wide and deep soundstage some expect from planar openbacks. When I switch between my Focal Radiance to the LCD-X I don't go "Wow, sounds so open!" like I did with the hifiman Aryas.
Arya sounds much more spacious and more opened than the LCD-X. At the same time the LCD-X is more dynamic, and more impactful.
The LCD-X soundstage indeed is not the widest, but for example on the RME-ADI2 DAC there is a width DSP which can increase perceived soundstage width quite a lot. I kept this at 9/10 with the LCD-X.

May 15, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #536 of 2,722
Arya sounds much more spacious and more opened than the LCD-X. At the same time the LCD-X is more dynamic, and more impactful.
The LCD-X soundstage indeed is not the widest, but for example on the RME-ADI2 DAC there is a width DSP which can increase perceived soundstage width quite a lot. I kept this at 9/10 with the LCD-X.
The LCD-X is more dynamic and impactful (although less clear IMO). The question is then, how more dynamic and impactful is it compared to the denon9200? If not much then it won't really give him the contrasting experience he wants. Maybe a little more separation and imaging and vertical soundstage. But the 9200s are such TOTL closebacks I'd recommend a higher end openback.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #537 of 2,722
My Xs of 7 years died this past week (RIP old buddy :sob:). I ended up ordering a current-year XC from Moon Audio and a couple days later I'm listening again. The difference in sound signature is pretty incredible. The reduced, closed soundstage doesn't bug me nearly as much as the reduced bass thumpiness. I've never heard headphones that have such forward upper-mids. It's a different experience but I am enjoying it so far. I definitely see myself getting the old Xs fully upgraded sometime in the future and enjoying them both.

I'm not terribly good or experienced at expressing these sorts of things, but my overall impression is that the XC sounds much less muddy across the whole range (even bass). The comparably raised mids and upper-mids are exposing a bunch of new aspects of songs I've listened to dozens of times or more. I am a little more concerned about fatigue, both from the treble and the fact they're closed rather than open. I suppose it could be EQed down a bit but I'm enjoying the very different sound signatures at the moment.

The pads are noticeably shallower than the 2014-era ones I'm used to. My ears brush up against the fazors but it thankfully doesn't bother me at all. Holy %^&$ the headband is an improvement over the original... :heart_eyes:

May 15, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #538 of 2,722
The LCD-X is more dynamic and impactful (although less clear IMO). The question is then, how more dynamic and impactful is it compared to the denon9200? If not much then it won't really give him the contrasting experience he wants. Maybe a little more separation and imaging and vertical soundstage. But the 9200s are such TOTL closebacks I'd recommend a higher end openback.
Depends. I have not heard the Denon 7200 or 9200, not even the THX-900. The closest I owned was the THX-X00.
But I owned and auditioned quite a few TOTL closed and opened headphones.

To me good open backs will always destroy any closed backs any day. The spacious and natural sound they can produce is simply superior to any closed backs. That said, I appreciate there are usage scenarios when someone needs a good closed back but that always will be some sort of a compromise.

May 15, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #539 of 2,722

how are aryas on the bass impact/slam compared to the new lcd-x? I’ve actually been hearing the the lcd-x isn’t bass heavy which is contrary to what my ideas about it, without being able to audition next to my m50x’s which have enough slam for me. Then someone is saying that open back planars will never have the same kind of slam as the m50x..

Regardless, the LCD-X has been the closest for me to actually buy and try based on drivability, darker sound signature (or is it..) and price.

I’m more than happy to eq some bass in and bring down some frequencies past 10k

May 15, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #540 of 2,722
how are aryas on the bass impact/slam compared to the new lcd-x? I’ve actually been hearing the the lcd-x isn’t bass heavy which is contrary to what my ideas about it, without being able to audition next to my m50x’s which have enough slam for me. Then someone is saying that open back planars will never have the same kind of slam as the m50x..

Regardless, the LCD-X has been the closest for me to actually buy and try based on drivability, darker sound signature (or is it..) and price.

I’m more than happy to eq some bass in and bring down some frequencies past 10k
Honestly the Arya's bass sounds better to my ears. It doesn't have the slam and meat of the LCD-X but it's got better extension, detail, and clarity. The LCDX's lows are bit muddier and undefined compared to the Arya. I don't know about the LCD-X being darker, but it's warmer. The Arya is just better overall imo, except it's ugly as fug to the point where I sold it and kept the LCD-X. I'm superficial, what can I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back