KSC75 and why everyone should own it at least once in their life.
Jan 8, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 73
Agreed that the ksc75 is single-handedly the greatest value in all of audio. They are such great headphones for the price! Can't believe how they are so good yet require so little moolah. All headphones should be like that haha.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #17 of 73

Quote:
thats kinda strange because i have read a few people say that the KSC75 and UR40 sound very similar. the last headphone i used before the HD650 was the UR40. i was using the UR40 exclusively for about 2 weeks, and then i received my HD650. the UR40 and HD650 don't sound exactly the same, but they have the same overall tonality. the biggest difference in frequency response is the bass extension, just like the graph i posted shows. the HD650 does sound a whole lot better though. cleaner, clearer, has better detail, and a bit better soundstage. but the two are pretty similar in sound.

are there any big name stores that still stock the KSC-75? for the price they go for i'd like to try a pair for portable use.

Quote:
All I do know is that the KSC75 sounds nothing like the UR40 to me. Regardless on whether it has the same drivers or not, we all know same drivers on different enclosures can wildly change the sound. Look at Grado's headphone. I'm not gonna remotely start on which headphones have the same drivers. Grado fans will tell you.

The KSC75 has an airy quality to it. All I got from the UR40 was bloat, congestion, as if the headphone had the flu. It was disconcerting.

But that's what Senn fans must like, which is why I always said I would never EVER go for the HD650. I'll stay away from PleasantVEIL.

I haven't seen them anywhere but online, sadly.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #18 of 73
There are a couple stores here that stock the KSC75 still. The local Radio Shack still has a few and the Exclusive Company (music store) sell the entire range of Koss stuff. EC has a whole wall of Koss stuff including a demo station where they let you listen to 10 different kinds or so. I don't shop there much anymore since I found Amazon's crazy cheap CD's.

At least this was there last month. I'm sure they still have the wall up.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #19 of 73
In Finland, the ksc-75 is about 40 dollars. Not quite the same value.

As it happens, though, I ordered a pair from the UK a few days ago, just to check out why everyone here is raving on about them. Hope they sound nice, and it'll be interesting to see how they do against my trusty K 314.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 73
19 euros here, can get 'm in stores, they're frequently sold out though

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #21 of 73
Yeah, they were about 21 € shipped from the UK. Still a far cry from $13, though.

Although, they would've been a few euros cheaper shipped from the US, but it always takes so long to get mail from the States.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #22 of 73

Quote:
Yeah, they were about 21 € shipped from the UK. Still a far cry from $13, though.

Although, they would've been a few euros cheaper shipped from the US, but it always takes so long to get mail from the States.

I have experienced a couple of times now that US ships faster to NL, then UK to NL

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 73
I'm not sure if us Finns would have similar experiences. I've ordered some number of books and clothes from the UK, and they usually show up within a week via Royal Mail and DHL. Sometimes it's only three days or so. From the US I've mainly ordered clothes and then some random things via USPS, and it seems a week is the absolute minimum – two weeks is more likely, three if you get unlucky. It's a lot faster if it's shipped from the East Coast, though, than from further west.

It's been a few months since I bought anything from the States, so maybe USPS got faster.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 73
I bought my sister and one of my brothers a pair of them for Christmas. Seeing as how I had never listened to them before, I was taking a gamble. Once my sister opened them and used them for a bit, I tried them out. DAMN! This is seriously the best deal in any hobby, EVER! I am going to pick myself up a pair or three sometime soon.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 73

I always thought that they share the same driver? But anyway I like the 75's but I prefer the KSC35's because they are lighter.

Quote:
I like them too and even prefer them to the Porta Pro since they're a little brighter. I actually removed the Porta Pro driver from it's headband and installed the KSC75 driver instead!

Another nice thing about the KSC75 is that it's stupid easy to recable if needed. It almost feels as if there's a little door on the back and Koss is just asking you to do it. It took me about a whole 5 minutes to recable.

For those that don't like the clips, you can buy a cheap headband for them for $5 or so.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #26 of 73
From what I've heard, the KSC75 is a titanium version of the Porta Pro driver and is a bit brighter and has slightly less bass.
I've compared them side by side and they definitely sound different.

BTW now that I'm talking about drivers, does anyone have a clue what driver the old TNT/55 uses? I always loved that headphone.
I'm guessing whatever is in the KTX PRO 1. If I got the name right..

Quote:

I always thought that they share the same driver? But anyway I like the 75's but I prefer the KSC35's because they are lighter.

Quote:
I like them too and even prefer them to the Porta Pro since they're a little brighter. I actually removed the Porta Pro driver from it's headband and installed the KSC75 driver instead!

Another nice thing about the KSC75 is that it's stupid easy to recable if needed. It almost feels as if there's a little door on the back and Koss is just asking you to do it. It took me about a whole 5 minutes to recable.

For those that don't like the clips, you can buy a cheap headband for them for $5 or so.

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #28 of 73
Dumbest thing I ever did was put a silver cable on my KSC75. Why did I do this? When another headphone's cable died and I couldn't replace it I figured it couldn't hurt.
Since the KSC75 was already bright enough, the silver cable wasn't a good idea. They had a TON more detail, but at the same time, specific sounds were more distant. It was just rather bizarre.
As you know, silver cable isn't cheap, so this was kind of beyond dumb, but it's better than it going to waste!

What ruined it is that the cable wasn't sleeved (too lazy) and it felt like thin metal coat hangers when you moved it. Extremely annoying.

I think some other day i'll have to try regular copper.

I have a Parts Express spare headband if anyone in the USA wants it. Works perfect with the KSC75!
No warranty included
normal_smile%20.gif

Or you can buy it from their website and pay $10 shipping or whatever it was.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #29 of 73

Quote:
I have a Parts Express spare headband if anyone in the USA wants it. Works perfect with the KSC75!
No warranty included
normal_smile%20.gif

Is said headband being given away for free?
biggrin.gif
I don't have the KSC75 yet, but when I get them I was planning on getting the headband as well along with HD414 pads because they look awesome.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #30 of 73
I think they'd be great candidates for some serious modding.  Taking the driver out and putting it in a nice wooden enclosure would give you a great 'phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back