KSC75 and why everyone should own it at least once in their life.
Jan 8, 2011 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73
How is it that a pair of $13 clip ons can rival headphones worth more than 10x the price? This headphone is STILL pure magic to my ears, and the only headphone I have owned that I wouldn't ever part with, you guys know how many headphones I have parted with.

Its comfortable (once you acclimate yourself to clip ons). They don't ever get hot. EVER. I could sleep with these. It stays is place no matter what you do. You can try to force them off by triple sommersaults, and when you land, you'll find them happily resting in the same exact spot.

Did I mention how cheap it is? Paired up with the Koss lifetime warranty... why are you even doubting a purchase of these things?

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 73
I like them too and even prefer them to the Porta Pro since they're a little brighter. I actually removed the Porta Pro driver from it's headband and installed the KSC75 driver instead!

Another nice thing about the KSC75 is that it's stupid easy to recable if needed. It almost feels as if there's a little door on the back and Koss is just asking you to do it. It took me about a whole 5 minutes to recable.

For those that don't like the clips, you can buy a cheap headband for them for $5 or so.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 73
I owned one briefly and they sounded very good. Too bad they killed my ears after 5 minutes so I got rid of them.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 73
ok, going to try them again, soon
it has been a while...

I remeber from before I got into mid-fi cans, i liked them more then my px-100 I was coming from, but didn't like the clip-on thing

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 73
I admit, the clip on takes time to get used to. But give it a week or so, and I guarantee, you won't even feel it. I'd take a clip on over any on ear with a headband any day of the week.

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 73
Long live the KSC75 

It was a super sweet deal when Radio Shack sold them for $6...yeah, I bought over 20 pairs.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 73

Quote:
 They are energetic headphones. Sennheiser fans need not apply. You are not gonna get that warm/smooth sound (which I haaaaaate).

hmmmm.....

looks pretty close to me. i will eventually get a pair. the UR-40 uses the same driver and i really liked them. the UR40 convinced me to get a pair of HD650's. they do sound very similar.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 73
Yes, because we all know graphs tell the whole story.
rolleyes.gif

The KSC75 is bright and aggressive. OPPOSITE of the HD650.

Also, it does NOT use the UR40 drivers. The UR40 uses flat back drivers (I believe it's the KSC50, KSC55, and KTX Pro, not the KSC75). I'm getting tired of people blurting this out. It's not the same driver.

The UR40 is one of the WORST headphones I have ever heard. EVER. It was a boomy, muddy mess. From 3 different pairs. Unless they were all defective. It sounded like utter crap to my ears. Nothing like the KSC75.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 73
graphs DO tell the whole story when it comes to the frequency response. there is more to sound than just frequency response, but graphs don't lie. it amazes me how so many people don't believe in or trust graphs. why do people insist on not trusting actual scientific measurements?

and yes the KSC-75 and the UR-40 share the same driver. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433365/which-koss-headphones-share-the-portapro-driver

the difference in sound is obviously from the vastly different enclosures. the UR40's are not crap though. put an amp on them and the bass becomes a bit more controllable.

Quote:
Yes, because we all know graphs tell the whole story.
rolleyes.gif

The KSC75 is bright and aggressive. OPPOSITE of the HD650.

Also, it does NOT use the UR40 drivers. The UR40 uses flat back drivers (I believe it's the KSC50, KSC55, and KTX Pro, not the KSC75). I'm getting tired of people blurting this out. It's not the same driver.

The UR40 is one of the WORST headphones I have ever heard. EVER. It was a boomy, muddy mess. From 3 different pairs. Unless they were all defective. It sounded like utter crap to my ears. Nothing like the KSC75.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 73
I really enjoyed mine, I wish I had a better time with the earclips, I could never get those to fit on the ear right.  With Parts Express headband though it was a budget dream come true.  I've been up and down mid-fi lane and I'm still impressed with these especially at the price.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 73
All I do know is that the KSC75 sounds nothing like the UR40 to me. Regardless on whether it has the same drivers or not, we all know same drivers on different enclosures can wildly change the sound. Look at Grado's headphone. I'm not gonna remotely start on which headphones have the same drivers. Grado fans will tell you.

The KSC75 has an airy quality to it. All I got from the UR40 was bloat, congestion, as if the headphone had the flu. It was disconcerting.

But that's what Senn fans must like, which is why I always said I would never EVER go for the HD650. I'll stay away from PleasantVEIL.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 73
KSC75 is amazing for $13. Very sparky with a noticeable bump around 100hz, making them extremely fun. They actually benefit from an amp also, so try plugging one in if you own one.

Because they don't have much soundstage from their own, they do really well with dolby headphones.

The clip feels cheap, the wire feels cheap, heck everything about them looks cheap. But the sound is just soooo good. I always lend these to my friends and watch their surprised face when I tell them I got these for $12.95

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 73
thats kinda strange because i have read a few people say that the KSC75 and UR40 sound very similar. the last headphone i used before the HD650 was the UR40. i was using the UR40 exclusively for about 2 weeks, and then i received my HD650. the UR40 and HD650 don't sound exactly the same, but they have the same overall tonality. the biggest difference in frequency response is the bass extension, just like the graph i posted shows. the HD650 does sound a whole lot better though. cleaner, clearer, has better detail, and a bit better soundstage. but the two are pretty similar in sound.

are there any big name stores that still stock the KSC-75? for the price they go for i'd like to try a pair for portable use.

Quote:
All I do know is that the KSC75 sounds nothing like the UR40 to me. Regardless on whether it has the same drivers or not, we all know same drivers on different enclosures can wildly change the sound. Look at Grado's headphone. I'm not gonna remotely start on which headphones have the same drivers. Grado fans will tell you.

The KSC75 has an airy quality to it. All I got from the UR40 was bloat, congestion, as if the headphone had the flu. It was disconcerting.

But that's what Senn fans must like, which is why I always said I would never EVER go for the HD650. I'll stay away from PleasantVEIL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back