Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Nov 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #1,261 of 2,344
Quote:
@Tangster: Mine's in competition with my Grado sr60i's for most uncomfortable pair. Perhaps the most damning for it is the thing's weight - machined metal housing and coiled cable. It's sturdy, but damn does it feel like putting on a helmet. It's finally winter here so pads become a feature since my room is like an ice box all year round :V

Also, update, the big bass seems to have gone away. I dunno if I did anything or it was the things finally breaking themselves in which would be weird, since I have been using them nonstop since I bought them until about a month ago. With the E17 I get a more laid back sound rather than the sparkle I get with the E11's. I'm thinking of getting the E9 to complete my desktop setup but I'm not sure I have the right kind of headphones to benefit from it. The internal amp in the E17's seem to be more than enough for the DJ 100's. Unfortunately the lo-bypass works only for the E9 so no using it as just a DAC and adding in the E11.

Mine don't weight much compared to a lot of my cans. Inbetween my KRK 8400 and ATH A700X. Much lighter than the Shure SRH840 or T50RP. Stretching the headband out helped a bit, but I think the earpads are just abominable and need a replacement. I've felt better pads on the £12 Sennheiser HD201s. If I can't make them comfy then I'll sell them. I find them quite outclassed by most of my headphones.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,263 of 2,344
Quote:
These are quite possibly the most uncomfortable cans I own. My ears feel like they've been crushed in a rugby scrum. They sound pretty nice, but god they are so horribly uncomfortable, might have to try and make myself some custom leather pads. The cable is also quite annoying, but that's easily fixed by reterminating the headphones with a detachable 3.5mm.

I know this sounds totally stupid, but I felt the same way with my DJ100 and KRK KNS-6400 (similar pads). It seems that after a few days and stretching them a bit, the comfort is a lot better. It seems ridiculous for a headphone pad to kind of break in, but they do.

You can stuff some tissue or foam into the edges. It seems that Koss has a hard time releasing ultra comfortable headphones. The DJ100 i'm ok with the comfort stock, but I've upgraded to M50 and Pro700 MKII pads.

For those with larger ears, the DJ100 may be a bad idea.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,264 of 2,344
Quote:
@Tangster: Mine's in competition with my Grado sr60i's for most uncomfortable pair. Perhaps the most damning for it is the thing's weight - machined metal housing and coiled cable. It's sturdy, but damn does it feel like putting on a helmet. It's finally winter here so pads become a feature since my room is like an ice box all year round :V

Also, update, the big bass seems to have gone away. I dunno if I did anything or it was the things finally breaking themselves in which would be weird, since I have been using them nonstop since I bought them until about a month ago. With the E17 I get a more laid back sound rather than the sparkle I get with the E11's. I'm thinking of getting the E9 to complete my desktop setup but I'm not sure I have the right kind of headphones to benefit from it. The internal amp in the E17's seem to be more than enough for the DJ 100's. Unfortunately the lo-bypass works only for the E9 so no using it as just a DAC and adding in the E11.

Well it's good the E17 is more laid back. My E11 is not very sparkly at all, but still better than the E10 (IMO). The E11 measures ruler flat too, but it sounds kind of dark to me. Weird.
The E9 will totally benefit the DJ100. Every penny I put into my headphone setup the DJ100 has benefited from. I actually did it for my Q701, but the HD-650 and DJ100 improved more with my ODAC than the Q701 and HD-600!!
I'm not sure why but the E9 is the perfect amp for the DJ100. Just make sure to use the large jack. The 10ohm output impedance does absolutely nothing to degrade the sound of the DJ100 (or Q701).

I saw the E9 for like $95 the other day on Amazon..that's crazy. I'll never sell mine ever, but I don't use it much anymore.

NOTE: no, i'm not suggesting to go out and get a $1000 tube amp for the DJ100
biggrin.gif
I am however thinking of the Lyr for my DJ100 AND HD-650!

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,265 of 2,344
Quote:
Well it's good the E17 is more laid back. My E11 is not very sparkly at all, but still better than the E10 (IMO). The E11 measures ruler flat too, but it sounds kind of dark to me. Weird.
The E9 will totally benefit the DJ100. Every penny I put into my headphone setup the DJ100 has benefited from. I actually did it for my Q701, but the HD-650 and DJ100 improved more with my ODAC than the Q701 and HD-600!!
I'm not sure why but the E9 is the perfect amp for the DJ100. Just make sure to use the large jack. The 10ohm output impedance does absolutely nothing to degrade the sound of the DJ100 (or Q701).

I saw the E9 for like $95 the other day on Amazon..that's crazy. I'll never sell mine ever, but I don't use it much anymore.

NOTE: no, i'm not suggesting to go out and get a $1000 tube amp for the DJ100
biggrin.gif
I am however thinking of the Lyr for my DJ100 AND HD-650!

I can't see myself getting an E9 just for a pair of fairly inexpensive headphones, especially when the E9 would cost 33% more than what I paid for the DJ100s, £73 vs £55.It plays well with my Asgard, less well with my Mstage. Not too bad with the E11.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #1,267 of 2,344
These are headphones are very uncomfortable. I also bought the m50 replacement pads which helped a little bit, but they still heat up my ears a lot. However, they do sound very good and would be amazing if I could wear them for longer than 20minutes since I prefer the sound of the DJ100's to my m-80's.
Does anyone know a larger pad that would work for these headphones that would not press down on my ears as much?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #1,268 of 2,344
I would agree that they do get a bit warm but I think that's probably going to be a problem with all circumaural HP's. As far as fit they are very comfortable to me and actually more comfortable then my supra-aural Sennheisers. I do find that they take a bit more work to get positioned correctly since there is so much articulation in the headband.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #1,269 of 2,344
I tried a pair of Shure 940 pads I had lying around. Made them much more comfortable, but killed off all the treble and most of the mids.

KRK KNS 8400 pads are extremely comfy, but would need to be modded or stuck on, reduces the soundstage a little and increases the subbass slightly.

If I can find them, I'll try the stock T50RP pads as well.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,270 of 2,344
i cannot read the whole thread, so excuse me, if it is already written:

how do they compare in soundstage to sets like zx700, srh940 or other closed cans. especially imaging, layering and depth are important to me.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,271 of 2,344
I have a set of SRS-A3 speakers for my computer, and they have a pretty weak output. Distortion is pretty significant during bassy parts of my music at even medium volume levels. I was wondering if using a headphone amp (like my newly purchased Total Airheads) can be used with the speakers to alleviate this problem at least a bit without damaging either the speakers or the headphone amp?

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #1,272 of 2,344
The speakers have their own internal amp that's gonna negate anything that goes on beforehand and headphone amps aren't meant to drive speakers (even ****ty ones with 2" drivers :p ), just get something better...

You can get some solid Dayton or Pioneer passive bookshelves plus a t-amp for under $100, or a pair of Samson MediaOne 3a if you wanna go with smaller powered speakers.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,273 of 2,344
Quote:
I can't see myself getting an E9 just for a pair of fairly inexpensive headphones, especially when the E9 would cost 33% more than what I paid for the DJ100s, £73 vs £55.It plays well with my Asgard, less well with my Mstage. Not too bad with the E11.

Ditto. The DJ100s alone don't seem a compelling reason to get the E9. Though I do have a pair of AKG K240s which seem to be a little hungrier for power. If they pair well I might seriously consider it. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,274 of 2,344
I was given a pair of the pro dj 100 for my birthday. does anyone have the ability to take pictures of the insides of the dj 200? The extra wires for the mono/stereo switch make it difficult for me to mod the pro 100 to have a removable cable.

Been giving them a lot of head time. My opinion of them hasn't really changed. I love the construction, though. I may transplant different drivers in at some point because they are rugged as ****.

I'm drooling at the concept of the dj 100's mostly metal body with a more mid/bright/analytical sound signature.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,275 of 2,344
Quote:
I was given a pair of the pro dj 100 for my birthday. does anyone have the ability to take pictures of the insides of the dj 200? The extra wires for the mono/stereo switch make it difficult for me to mod the pro 100 to have a removable cable.

Been giving them a lot of head time. My opinion of them hasn't really changed. I love the construction, though. I may transplant different drivers in at some point because they are rugged as ****.

I'm drooling at the concept of the dj 100's mostly metal body with a more mid/bright/analytical sound signature.

Check this link for pictures. The insides of the DJ200 should be the same:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/koss-tony-bennett-special-edition-tbse1-headphone

Making a DJ100 with a removable cable would be a major pain. You'd have to drill holes probably since the mono switch is hard to remove.

Tuesday Morning in my city still has several pairs of the TB for $50. I mean how much would a recable cost? Maybe $20 in parts and an hour or two of your time?

I personally think the DJ100 would be ruined if it was any brighter. The mids are forward enough for me and the treble is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back