Quote:
i've been using them with the following sources:

Zune HD
Focusrite VRMBox HPO
Focusrite VMRBox SPDIF
Pioneer VSX 9900S HPO
HTC EVO V
SGS Galaxy S /w voodoo mod & PowerAmp.

Sound doesn't change. All of those have adequate DACs. The only thing that changes is how much volume i need for them to hit adequate volume. Even out of my phone amping is not necessary. It is not a magic SQ-changing thing to have an external amplifier, people. Stop implying it does.

Actually nothing in this price range really satisfies me. The most satisfied I've been with a headphone currently is the Denon Music Maniac, but I'm not spending $500 on that.

But free headphones are free, and I like their build quality.

The Hesh 2 are very decent.

Also, my DJ100 has those same holes drilled in to them. I have noticed that my pair definitely sounds less offensive than the ones at BB, Sears which both have demo stations. (I unplug their headphones from their display and plug them in to my source cuz im a boss like that.)

You're not the only person to say the the DJ100 doesn't change with different amps and DACs. I personally think this is nuts, but whatever. To me, it changes with different gear as much as the HD-650. More so than my KRKs and Q701. Why? I have no clue. I've yet to get them to sound EXACTLY the same on everything. Sometimes I wish this was possible. No, if you don't like it's sound signature, it's not going to magically transform it into something else. Sometimes the differences are subtle. I could easily get the DJ100 to sound like crap on a specific amp (which I won't name).

There's not a major difference going from my Ipod 3G to Airhead and ODAC+Micro Amp.

I'm a huge believer that the DJ100 is only as good as what it's connected to. It's OK if people don't want to agree with that. My other headphones (except for the HD-650) are less picky.

BTW the "poor resolution" comment from someone else is good for a laugh. Sorry I had to mention that
normal_smile .gif
With the ODAC+Micro Amp these things are even more revealing than the HD-650. Just a note that I don't find the HD-650 to be lacking detail or too forgiving at all. Maybe the ODAC is playing a role there. With the DJ100 sometimes gaming is so bad because of the poor quality soundtracks. On the HD-650 it's made a little more bearable. I'm glad I didn't blame the headphones. I did this in the past. DJ100 and the KRKs are equally as revealing as crappy source files, but obviously the DJ100 doesn't have the treble of the KRKs and is easier on the ears.

Can't say it enough, but my DJ100 just isn't the same without a good desktop amp/dac. Just my opinion and yes they do sound good from portable devices still. I wish more people would give these a try with an expensive amp/dac and then review it. Someone should do a DJ100 vs HD-650 review! MY HD-650 has many similarities to the DJ100. I know that sounds weird.

NOTE: many issues people have with instrument separation and soundstage can be slightly improved with M50/M40 pads. With the ODAC and M50 pads there's nothing to complain about in this area. At times it feels like i'm listening to an open headphone. I can't get that experience with my Clip+ or Ipod (yet).

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #1,293 of 2,344
Instrument separation actually sounds pretty good to me on these, on the better end of the spectrum even, especially among budget headphones. And especially when it comes to bass guitars. I'm hearing some bass lines I never heard before and that is quite exciting to not hear it fully drowned out by the music on songs that I know I've listened to before and never heard it distinctly like that.

I don't know if these are extremely source-sensitive maybe? I'm using an X-Fi Go Pro USB sound card, and the separation is just fine. Mids are great, not recessed, and even a little forward. Treble is very present, well-extended, but colored, for sure, but I don't mind it. Lots of detail but it sounds like the treble peaks more toward the 'mid' area of treble instead of the highest frequencies, so it does result in some interesting-sounding cymbals, but it really pulls some crunch forward out of the guitar and I love that.

I'd prefer the treble to be slightly more smooth but I expect that to level out over time. Bass/Mid-Bass is wonderful on these. I'm very surprised to hear that to some ears these have no mids and treble? I couldn't handle these if they had any MORE treble, IMO. I need to try on other sources (iPod, Macbook, iPhone) and see what kind of differences I can hear.

These cans are heaven for anything acoustic. Listening to John Mayer acoustic versions, Andy McKee, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jeremy Enigk, and others on these is joyous, especially for the price.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,295 of 2,344
Quote:
The coiled cable makes it unsuitable for lounge/living room use.

But if you get the TBSE edition then the cable is detachable and replaceable with a long one. If you want these headphones that might be the way to go 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #1,298 of 2,344
I just got a pair of these in the mail. When I took them out I noticed the left aluminum pivot was sticky, and found that it folded much more stiffly than the right. I looked in the plastic joint and saw what looked like glue, which I didn't see on the right side. Should I be concerned this was a refurbishment or something? This is my first time ordering headphones.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,300 of 2,344
Quote:
I just got a pair of these in the mail. When I took them out I noticed the left aluminum pivot was sticky, and found that it folded much more stiffly than the right. I looked in the plastic joint and saw what looked like glue, which I didn't see on the right side. Should I be concerned this was a refurbishment or something? This is my first time ordering headphones.

That doesn't seem to be right at all. They could possibly be refurbed. I could be wrong, but I know the aluminum pivots on mine are squeaky clean and move freely.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,301 of 2,344
Just going to point out that more likely, any differences you guys are hearing are likely cognitive biases, unless the quality of the DAC in the different sources you're using is really that significantly different. When i plug them in to my laptops headphone out, or my phone, then i plug it in to my other sources, there is a definite difference. mostly that with my usb dac and asio codec i don't have to worry about hearing the electronics whirring, which is my only issue with them. My Receiver has the added benefit of having a hardware equalizer. Yay for vintage hardware.

Instrument separation is actually pretty decent. I tore off the foam in my m50 pads, and it made a moderate difference. Actually, I ended up going back to my M50s and love them all the more. They weren't quite bright enough for me beforehand.

Going to look in to checking out other drivers to transplant on to the koss cups.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #1,302 of 2,344
Quote:
which pads will provide most bass quantity?

M40 pads for me strangely enough. You can even add thin foam circles inside the pads to make them even bassier.

Right now i'm using Pro700 MKII pads and they might be a tad bassier than stock. M50 pads seem to reduce some of their warmth, but not too badly.

I wish M50 pads didn't go hard. I should try to restore them in a washing machine. I know it's not from sweat/dirt etc because they seem to get harder when I leave them in the cold air.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,303 of 2,344
Quote:

The pivot area is always stiff on every pair i've had for the first day or two. There's even some clamping force out of the box but it goes away.
If you get any creaking sounds, those go away too.

The aluminum (circle) part is actually a long screw with grease/oil on it. At least on one pair I dismantled.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,304 of 2,344
Quote:

With the DJ100 sometimes gaming is so bad because of the poor quality soundtracks. On the HD-650 it's made a little more bearable. I'm glad I didn't blame the headphones. I did this in the past. DJ100 and the KRKs are equally as revealing as crappy source files, but obviously the DJ100 doesn't have the treble of the KRKs and is easier on the ears.

Can't say it enough, but my DJ100 just isn't the same without a good desktop amp/dac.

At first I thought the TBSE1s sucked as gaming headphones, then I installed a sound mod for my ArmA 2 and the sound effects just blew my mind.

Yeah, I can't say it enough too. The DJ100s/TBSE1s are very sensitive to different sources. There are some songs that I prefer using my CMoy for, and some that I'd rather not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back