Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Dec 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #1,277 of 2,344
Quote:
I was given a pair of the pro dj 100 for my birthday. does anyone have the ability to take pictures of the insides of the dj 200? The extra wires for the mono/stereo switch make it difficult for me to mod the pro 100 to have a removable cable.

Been giving them a lot of head time. My opinion of them hasn't really changed. I love the construction, though. I may transplant different drivers in at some point because they are rugged as ****.

I'm drooling at the concept of the dj 100's mostly metal body with a more mid/bright/analytical sound signature.

I can go one better.

Disassembled and labelled:

Widen that hole for a 3.5mm female jack.

Solder dem wires.

Finished connections.

Put the jack in place and secure with epoxy glue.

Admire your new DJ100 with removable cables.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #1,281 of 2,344
Quote:
The trebble and mids are terrible in my opinion.

Ok, sure. Then why don't you just sell them or give them away?
Any headphone with terrible mids and treble would be unlistenable to me.
Are you using them with an external amp? If not, you should do it.

I forget, weren't you the person who felt the Skullcandy Hesh 2 was amazing or something and sounded much better?
I haven't heard that so I wouldn't know what it's like.

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,282 of 2,344
Quote:
I can go one better.

Disassembled and labelled:

Widen that hole for a 3.5mm female jack.

Solder dem wires.

Finished connections.

Put the jack in place and secure with epoxy glue.

Admire your new DJ100 with removable cables.

I've noticed something weird about your DJ100.
Every single pair i've had had zero of those holes in the cup drilled straight down to the metal.
The Tony Bennett does, but never the DJ100.

I guess there must be a reason Koss drills these holes deeper now on the DJ100. I don't have a clue what it does for the sound.

Unrelated note:

I almost pulled the trigger on HDJ-2000 pads but just couldn't do it. $38.00 after shipping. Yuck!
I'm using Pro700 MKII pads now and they're OK.

I was using a Fuze with rockbox with LOD cable to E11/Airhead and it was sounding very bad tonight.
Switched to headphone jack and it's so much better for the DJ100. Maybe the line out on the Fuze isn't that good...

I've never figured out this mystery...my HD-650 prefers the LOD cable method.

Maybe the DJ100 needs more power than the HD-650 to be at it's best. Only kidding
biggrin.gif
I think..

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #1,283 of 2,344
Listening to the DJ100 right now with Fuze V2 to Airhead using the 1/8" jack and Rockbox. Sounds pretty impressive.
It's nearly as warm sounding as my HD-650. This makes absolutely no sense but last night it was fuller sounding and slightly bassier than my (weird) HD-650 using both for gaming.
I was playing "Dark Souls" with both and noticed the DJ100 was much more revealing of the poor quality soundtrack of Dark Souls. It wasn't that bad though.
I was using the Xbox 360 with RCA cables straight to my Headroom Micro Amp.

BTW i've been using Pro700 MKII pads for the last couple of weeks. I don't want to suggest them since they're probably going to be as bad as stock pads when it comes to comfort.
They just sound better! Slightly better comfort when you stretch them out. The soundstage isn't as good as those of the M50 pads and there's a little less treble (due to your ears being closer to the driver).

Wonder if it's the general consensus that the Clip/Fuze are slightly warm portable players. I doubt anyone would think so, but I only noticed this with my KRKs and HD-650 when comparing it to my ODAC+Micro Amp.

I bought an Ipod Video (5.5) from my mom for dirt cheap, but it had a dead battery. Stupid me went to replace it and chopped off a ribbon inside trying to pry it apart (it's tough!). Can't wait to try it with the DJ100 once my repair parts come in.
That was like $50 down the drain..or so I thought. Luckily a replacement ribbon costs around $4.

Next year i'm thinking of getting a Lyr for my DJ100 and HD-650. Anyone tried the Lyr with the DJ100?
biggrin.gif
$450 investment on a $80 headphone. Sounds good to me! Should get a Bifrost while i'm at it..

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,284 of 2,344
Quote:
Next year i'm thinking of getting a Lyr for my DJ100 and HD-650. Anyone tried the Lyr with the DJ100?
biggrin.gif
$450 investment on a $80 headphone. Sounds good to me! Should get a Bifrost while i'm at it..

What do you think I am? Daft? That would be like using a Asgard to amp my £10 Sony MH1Cs...wait.
I would be very tempted actually, but Schiit are considerably more expensive in the UK than the US and I'm considering picking up a pair of Behringer Truth 2031A monitors. Should have some change left over for new pads.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #1,285 of 2,344
resolution is really bad on these. so is instrument separation. mids are very colored and highs, where are they? cheap sennheisers or sony are better options in this price range imo.

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #1,286 of 2,344
i've been using them with the following sources:

Zune HD
Focusrite VRMBox HPO
Focusrite VMRBox SPDIF
Pioneer VSX 9900S HPO
HTC EVO V
SGS Galaxy S /w voodoo mod & PowerAmp.

Sound doesn't change. All of those have adequate DACs. The only thing that changes is how much volume i need for them to hit adequate volume. Even out of my phone amping is not necessary. It is not a magic SQ-changing thing to have an external amplifier, people. Stop implying it does.

Actually nothing in this price range really satisfies me. The most satisfied I've been with a headphone currently is the Denon Music Maniac, but I'm not spending $500 on that.

But free headphones are free, and I like their build quality.

The Hesh 2 are very decent.

Also, my DJ100 has those same holes drilled in to them. I have noticed that my pair definitely sounds less offensive than the ones at BB, Sears which both have demo stations. (I unplug their headphones from their display and plug them in to my source cuz im a boss like that.)

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,290 of 2,344
Do you really not notice a difference? I do notice a difference when plugged into different sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back