Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Sep 12, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #946 of 2,344
Quote:

I have a CMoy from juice2214. I think it makes a nice pair with the TBSE1s; the soundstage widens and the vocals are brought back a bit. If you read up on Op-Amps, I think you'll find the OP2227 to be best suited to headphones like the Pro DJ100/DJ200/TBSE1s.

I was advised to buy a CMoy because apparently the E5 didn't have enough power. No idea about the E6, though.

Thanks for the reply. Now I don't know if I should sell my fiio and buy the cmoy. The E6 sounds really good with the TBSE1  but I'm not sure if the cmoy will be a big improvement over the E6 =/

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #948 of 2,344
Hi all.

My Pro DJ 200 arrived today. Should I open up a new thread for them, or post here?

First impressions: Incredible value. Just like Porta Pro.
Koss just doesn't disappoint. For the 70€ I paid these are extremely well made. Really comfortable and quite a good seal.
Compare them to say ... like ... the 199€ Beats Solo HD and you wonder how mega-stupid people must be. ;D

Right now I'd say these are definitely  the Porta Pro's bigger brothers ... and I totally mean that in the best way.
Imagine the fun and warm sound of the Porta Pro with added mids and isolation. Wow: Porta Pro on steroids.
And they really do sound better from an Amp.

They are a little bit veiled right now, but literally just unpacked the and listen for them for 30 minutes. So let's see if they really do break in, or at least my ears brake in.

To be continued ... maybe with my first review on Head-Fi.

Edit: It's totally tdockweiler's fault I got them. You'll have to explain my girl now why I need yet another headphone :wink:

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #950 of 2,344
Quote:
Hi all.

My Pro DJ 200 arrived today. Should I open up a new thread for them, or post here?

First impressions: Incredible value. Just like Porta Pro.
Koss just doesn't disappoint. For the 70€ I paid these are extremely well made. Really comfortable and quite a good seal.
Compare them to say ... like ... the 199€ Beats Solo HD and you wonder how mega-stupid people must be. ;D

Right now I'd say these are definitely  the Porta Pro's bigger brothers ... and I totally mean that in the best way.
Imagine the fun and warm sound of the Porta Pro with added mids and isolation. Wow: Porta Pro on steroids.
And they really do sound better from an Amp.

They are a little bit veiled right now, but literally just unpacked the and listen for them for 30 minutes. So let's see if they really do break in, or at least my ears brake in.

To be continued ... maybe with my first review on Head-Fi.

Edit: It's totally tdockweiler's fault I got them. You'll have to explain my girl now why I need yet another headphone :wink:

I was thinking maybe more like the KSC75 on steroids.Or maybe like the KSC35? Who knows. I believe the KSC75 driver is the same as the Porta Pro driver, but has a Titanium coating just like the DJ100/DJ200. A bit brighter i've read.

The Koss UR-55 had some similarities to the Porta Pro too, but that headphones is almost too small for me. If it wasn't for being impressed by the UR-55, I would have never heard about the DJ100! I drove 2 hours to get my first DJ100 without having a clue about it's sound (1 hour there and 1 back) and what's the chance that it turned out to be my favorite headphone of all time..

I've had two pairs that sounded fairly muffled out of the box. Luckily it went away after 3-4 days of use. I guess it's due to the titanium driver or something. I've read other of the Koss drivers need some use to be at their best too.

My Tony Bennett version sounded fine right out of the box.

I just got a Sansa Clip Zip today. It's supposed to measure perfectly flat, so fingers crossed that it sounds as good (or the same) as the Clip+ with the DJ100.

Now that I got the ODAC for the DJ100, it's hard to want to use portable devices..

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #951 of 2,344
Quote:

I was thinking maybe more like the KSC75 on steroids.Or maybe like the KSC35? Who knows. I believe the KSC75 driver is the same as the Porta Pro driver, but has a Titanium coating just like the DJ100/DJ200. A bit brighter i've read.

The DJ100s have titanium coating on their drivers?

This stuff?

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #952 of 2,344
Quote:

I have never tried these to and so can't compare it to the DJ100/200.
I'm listening to the DJ200 right now. Have been now for  couple of hours already. Seems like it's now free of veil, as far as it can be. It's not a crystal clear headphone, but that was not what I expected from it.

Seems like I'm already making up my mind on it.
It has the Koss Porta Pro sound: warm, fun, punchy.  But voices are better, stereo is better. Still sound is close to your ears, not wide, just like the Porta. Seal is much better than I thought it would be.
Great, great headphone.

I'll put up a review. Will be a first for me. And after that for my Grados, because I think I have a different perspective on them than a lot of other head-fiers :wink:

Thanks for the recommendation. The "meh" reviews on the net and innerfidelity almost made me not get them.

Edit:

love the quote from the 2012 Head-Fi buyers guide:

If the Shure SRH440 is a bit light in the bass for you, try the Koss PRODJ100. Are the entry-level Grados a little too lively up top for you? Try the PRODJ100. You know what, just try the PRODJ100 regardless of whatever other relatively affordable headphones you were already considering. 

Yes. Everybody has to at least try them :wink:

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #954 of 2,344
Just found a pair of TBSE1s sitting on my porch.
They do sound a lot like the Sporta Pro I've grown to love, but with infinitely better bass. The lack of muddiness makes for an impression of clearer midrange and treble... Just great!

I'll skip the MV1/Pro4AAAT pads for now. I'll be enjoying these headphones as is.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #955 of 2,344
@tdockweiler
How you liking the Clip Zip? I'm enjoying mine with the stock DJ100s, but I don't know if it needs an amp or anything.  I use about 55% volume for most of my music.  Any higher and I think it would be too loud for my ears.  I'm still on the fence about purchasing the pearstone earpads or the m50s.  Both seem really attractive at the moment, since the stock earpads do not form a good seal around my ears.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #956 of 2,344
i think i tried these at best buy and my reaction was "wow, thats... surprisingly accurate" and then i put them down. i think i am over the "accurate" sound signature and more interested in fun sound signatures. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #957 of 2,344
Quote:
i think i tried these at best buy and my reaction was "wow, thats... surprisingly accurate" and then i put them down. i think i am over the "accurate" sound signature and more interested in fun sound signatures. 

These are actually my "fun" headphone. I find they're accurate, but leaning more towards a fun sound signature. They have more bass than my KRK KNS-8400, Q701 and some of my others. Even better low bass. My HD-580 has more mid-bass and is a lot warmer.  These do have slightly forward mids.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #958 of 2,344
Quote:
@tdockweiler
How you liking the Clip Zip? I'm enjoying mine with the stock DJ100s, but I don't know if it needs an amp or anything.  I use about 55% volume for most of my music.  Any higher and I think it would be too loud for my ears.  I'm still on the fence about purchasing the pearstone earpads or the m50s.  Both seem really attractive at the moment, since the stock earpads do not form a good seal around my ears.

I tested the Clip Zip last night and didn't like it much. I think I will test it further because I think my ears may have been fatigued already or I was very stressed out. The Zip measures as flat as the Clip+, but it seemed to have more forward (sounding) mids than the Clip+. This is with the M50 pads though. It sounds similar to my old Sansa View.

The mids with M50 pads and Zip Plus seemed almost fatiguing. Again, i'll try it again some other time. With stock pads maybe they're perfect.

I've read the Zip has a different chipset than the Clip+ but frequency response graphs are nearly the same.

M50 pads are worth it alone just for the slightly extra clarity, soundstage and an impression of a tad more treble. I think M50 pads are a must for classical.

BTW on my Zip most of my music needed to be at 6/8 bars. I had a few classical tracks that needed to be maxed! These are all FLAC files. Maybe M50 pads require more volume for whatever reason since your ear is maybe further away from the driver.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #959 of 2,344
Quote:
I tested the Clip Zip last night and didn't like it much. I think I will test it further because I think my ears may have been fatigued already or I was very stressed out. The Zip measures as flat as the Clip+, but it seemed to have more forward (sounding) mids than the Clip+. This is with the M50 pads though. It sounds similar to my old Sansa View.

I've read the Zip has a different chipset than the Clip+ but frequency response graphs are nearly the same.

It does have the same chipset as the Clip+.....the difference in sound you hear may be due to the very slight difference in playback speed (remember the "pitch bug" hullabaloo?).
The Clip+ in the original Sansa firmware plays a hair fast, which is corrected in Rockbox....the Clip Zip plays at the proper speed out of the box.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #960 of 2,344
Quote:
It does have the same chipset as the Clip+.....the difference in sound you hear may be due to the very slight difference in playback speed (remember the "pitch bug" hullabaloo?).
The Clip+ in the original Sansa firmware plays a hair fast, which is corrected in Rockbox....the Clip Zip plays at the proper speed out of the box.

Very bizarre. I was pretty sure it had a slightly different chipset. Maybe I was thinking of the View. I've confirmed for myself too it's the same chipset.
To make matters worse, this Clip Zip sounds like my Fuze. They say they're both the same, but I prefer the sound of the Clip+ by far.

I wonder why the Fuze and Zip seem to sound like they have more forward mids than the Clip+. I wonder if the Clip+ has more power output than the others? Probably unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back