Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Sep 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #916 of 2,344
Quote:

Next up, I am going to buy myself a Fiio E17 and try that with both my ipod and 2 computers. 

I'll be interested in knowing if the E17 is any good with the DJ100. I'm sure it is.
The ODAC I have is perfect for the DJ100 too and doesn't change it a bit. Only major difference is that the bass is even better. Can't even really put into words as to how.
Soundstage is about the same as it was with the HRT MSII with the DJ100 at least.

Unfortunately my HRT made the DJ100 too bassy/warm. Kind of muffled the sound up a bit. Nothing too bad and I still liked it. I guess it's just preferences since I also disliked the HRT with my HD-598/580.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #918 of 2,344
Quote:
Does anyone know if the e11 is a good choice for the dj100? I know that it is a well liked amp for others.

It wouldn't be my first suggestion.
Over the E5 it has a larger soundstage, more detail and better bass. Unfortunately the E11 seems to take something slightly away from the DJ100 mids.
If you switched from the E11 with the DJ100/598 and then just to them being amped with just a Clip+, the Clip+ has more forward mids. The E11 also hates my 598.

I think the E11 has kind of anemic mids, but still pretty good. I prefer the E11 to the E10 though.

I think the E5 or E6 is more than enough. Now the best amp I can suggest is the Total Airhead. It's $75 on sale still I think.
I don't find it changes the DJ100s signature a bit. No extra bass or more forward mids etc. That thing can even drive an HD-600 well enough.

If you don't own any other headphones, the E5 will be a good place to start.

Also.. it seems like the best amps for the DJ100 are also ones that play well with the M50, HD-598 and HD-600. I've never heard an amp that was good for the M50 but not the DJ100.

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #919 of 2,344
Quote:
It wouldn't be my first suggestion.
Over the E5 it has a larger soundstage, more detail and better bass. Unfortunately the E11 seems to take something slightly away from the DJ100 mids.
If you switched from the E11 with the DJ100/598 and then just to them being amped with just a Clip+, the Clip+ has more forward mids. The E11 also hates my 598.

I think the E11 has kind of anemic mids, but still pretty good. I prefer the E11 to the E10 though.

I think the E5 or E6 is more than enough. Now the best amp I can suggest is the Total Airhead. It's $75 on sale still I think.
I don't find it changes the DJ100s signature a bit. No extra bass or more forward mids etc. That thing can even drive an HD-600 well enough.

If you don't own any other headphones, the E5 will be a good place to start.

I think the OP2227 CMoys really help in balancing out the vocals and instrumentation on the TBSE1s. They also widen the soundstage a bit.

I got mine because some people told me that the E5/E6s weren't as powerful, and a CMoy didn't cost much more either.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #921 of 2,344
So I decided to make (well someone else made it for me lol) a shorter cable for the TBSE1 because the stock cable is too long and quite annoying for me. I only spent 7 dollars so I'm very happy with it, and I feel that they sound better.... but that's probably just my mind playing tricks or something. 

Some pics:

Cheers

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #922 of 2,344
Quote:
So I decided to make (well someone else made it for me lol) a shorter cable for the TBSE1 because the stock cable is too long and quite annoying for me. I only spent 7 dollars so I'm very happy with it, and I feel that they sound better.... but that's probably just my mind playing tricks or something. 

Some pics:

Cheers

And this cable isn't annoying?  Jeeze, I've seen garden hoses smaller... XD

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #924 of 2,344
I just ordered some M50 pads for my DJ100s from Sweetwater. Hopefully they will be more comfortable. Any tips on changing them? Do I just pull them off around the edges or are there any tricks involved?

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #925 of 2,344
Quote:
I just ordered some M50 pads for my DJ100s from Sweetwater. Hopefully they will be more comfortable. Any tips on changing them? Do I just pull them off around the edges or are there any tricks involved?

Yeah, just pull the edge of the pads out of the cracks.
To install the new pads just hold the M50 pad against the cup and work your way around, placing the edge into the cracks of the DJ100. Do it a few inches at a time. With some practice you can do it in just a few seconds.

Hopefully I get my M40 pads in today and will report on any differences in the sound.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #926 of 2,344
Quote:

Some pics:

Cheers

That looks similar to the Canare interconnect cable I have. I've noticed slight improvements in the sound with cheap cable upgrades. The stock cable is actually quite good despite the wire being super thin.
Right now i'm using a Cardas HP1 cable that I got on sale for $35 as an open box. I also have an ALO SXC one I converted from use for my Q701 to an $80 headphone
biggrin.gif
I don't know how much that would retail, but probably $100+
It'd be nice to figure out WHY the silver plated copper makes the changes that it does. It's OK for the TB/DJ100, but I don't like it with my Q701 much.

Pretty soon i'll make one from Belden 1192A. Should be a perfect match for the TB/DJ100 since it's lower capacitance, but quite thick.

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #927 of 2,344
Quote:
That looks similar to the Canare interconnect cable I have. I've noticed slight improvements in the sound with cheap cable upgrades. The stock cable is actually quite good despite the wire being super thin.
Right now i'm using a Cardas HP1 cable that I got on sale for $35 as an open box. I also have an ALO SXC one I converted from use for my Q701 to an $80 headphone
biggrin.gif
I don't know how much that would retail, but probably $100+
It'd be nice to figure out WHY the silver plated copper makes the changes that it does. It's OK for the TB/DJ100, but I don't like it with my Q701 much.

Pretty soon i'll make one from Belden 1192A. Should be a perfect match for the TB/DJ100 since it's lower capacitance, but quite thick.

I'm waiting to see that cable mate 
smily_headphones1.gif
 In other words, I found an official Fiio distributor in my country and I can buy the E6 for a good price. You think It'll be a good match for the TBSE1?

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #929 of 2,344
Quote:
Hm, I can't find the TBSE1s on Koss' website. Does anyone know what happened to them?

Strange, not in the main listing anymore. Maybe it's going to be discontinued since the DJ200 is so similar.

Here's the TB I found on google on the Koss page:

http://www.koss.com/en/Products/TBSE1__TBSE1_Full_Size_Headphone

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #930 of 2,344
Quote:
Strange, not in the main listing anymore. Maybe it's going to be discontinued since the DJ200 is so similar.

Here's the TB I found on google on the Koss page:

http://www.koss.com/en/Products/TBSE1__TBSE1_Full_Size_Headphone

Looks like you found them before I did! 
biggrin.gif
Yeah, they might be discontinuing them-- They are promoting their iThing-compatible remotes (included in the DJ200) quite a bit.
Koss Touch Control... or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back