Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Sep 5, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #931 of 2,344
I got in the ATH-M40 pads for the DJ100. They're slightly larger than the M50 pads. Looks like they give you a bit more room inside for your ears.
I attached them to the DJ100 and they're secure, but not as much as the M50 pads. Pretty close.

I actually expected them to sound terrible. First 10 second impression is that they had a tad more bass than the M50 pads. Weird.

This is just strange. I can't figure out these pads out at all.

My impression after 30 minutes is that they turn the DJ100 into some sort of analytical detail monster. Not sure if I wanted that.
The soundstage is now even larger than with M50 pads. Some things in classical almost sound TOO distant.

It sounds like how the DJ100 could now be more accurate to the recording than before. Bad songs sound much worse. I've always found the DJ100 fairly forgiving, but not like an HD-600/650.
It seems that with the M40 pads there may be slightly more forward upper mids and lower treble. Not sure.

The bass isn't reduced at all from what I can tell, so that's not it. The mids do seems slightly less full sounding, but this is usually goes when the pads are more roomy inside.
At least with the DJ100.

I'm currently using the DJ100 with the ODAC to my Headroom Micro Amp. The ODAC isn't helping the situation, so maybe they'll sound slightly different with a portable device.

Right now Radiohead's "Where I end and you begin" sounds like i'm listening to it on an open headphone. Not even kidding..this is just weird.

I'll give them a week. They are actually more comfortable than the sweaty M50 pads. They're like V6 pads, but larger and the edge of the pads are thicker.

I'm just so surprised there's no loss of bass at all.

Maybe i'm just not 100% used to the new ODAC I have.
biggrin.gif
I've only used it with the DJ100 maybe an hour.

Ok, off to try this with a Sansa Clip+

For anyone that's curious, here's what the pad looks like:
(don't have a working camera or else i'd take some of it on the DJ100)

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #932 of 2,344
Well..that didn't last long. Something not right with the M40 pads.

I switched to using them with the Clip+ and everything sounded too bassy and muffled.
Switched to using the Clip+ connected to my Micro Amp and got similar results. Changed to M50 pads and it's back to it's old self.

The M50 pads might not have as forward of mids as the stock pads, but they're still fun and engaging to listen to.

The ODAC is also a perfect match with the DJ100/TB. When I have more money i'll buy the O2 to compare it to my Headroom Micro Amp.
I don't feel the Micro Amp adds any coloration to any of my headphones so it'll be just used as a bedroom amp instead of the E9. The ODAC actually benefits my TB more than the Q701
biggrin.gif

Can't explain that one...

I need to figure out a way to repair M50 pads that get really hard after using them for a few months.

You know..I think i'm spent at least $100 on just finding the perfect pads for the DJ100!

Don't want to go to sleep right now since the TB is sounding so good right now. I sure wish I could get the sound of the the ODAC + Micro Amp from a portable setup that I could fit in my pocket!

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #933 of 2,344
My Fiio E6 arrived today and it definitely improves the sound of the TB, I think it's slightly better than my Onkyo receiver. Gosh, like a month ago I was thinking on buying some beats, and now I have the TBSE1, the Fiio amp, and some canare cables I just bought... I think I'm getting a serious headfier lol.
Wallet, prepare to suffer for the next years. 
gs1000.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #934 of 2,344
Quote:
The M50 pads might not have as forward of mids as the stock pads, but they're still fun and engaging to listen to.

Speaking of pads, I'm curious as to how Koss'  PRO4AAAT/MV1 pads affect the sound of headphones. Might try them out if I don't have to pay too much shipping. They might further the isolation, for one.

edit= free shipping! Might try them for five bucks, then.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #935 of 2,344
Quote:

Speaking of pads, I'm curious as to how Koss'  PRO4AAAT/MV1 pads affect the sound of headphones. Might try them out if I don't have to pay too much shipping. They might further the isolation, for one.

edit= free shipping! Might try them for five bucks, then.

Pretty sure they won't fit, but you could try. The Pro4AAAT pads I have use a type of adhesive backing.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #936 of 2,344
The M50 pads sound amazing! Much more comfortable than the stock pads and a big improvement in the sound. For the first minute or  so of listening I was thinking it sounded terrible, but then I realized I accidentally switched them to mono.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #937 of 2,344
Has anyone tried velour pads for the DJ100? 

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #938 of 2,344
Quote:
Has anyone tried velour pads for the DJ100? 

The only ones i'm aware of that fit are the V6 Pearstone Velour pads. They're the scratchy type and get hot after awhile.

Any velour pads that fit the M50 should fit the DJ100.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #939 of 2,344
Quote:

The only ones i'm aware of that fit are the V6 Pearstone Velour pads. They're the scratchy type and get hot after awhile.

Any velour pads that fit the M50 should fit the DJ100.

http://www.amazon.com/Pearstone-9081860-Deluxe-Earpads-Pair/dp/B005GC7YJ2

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z

These?

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #940 of 2,344
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Pearstone-9081860-Deluxe-Earpads-Pair/dp/B005GC7YJ2

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z

These?

The Pearstone ones were quite good when I tried them.
The DT-250 pads ruined the sound IMO. Made them sound really harsh and fatiguing in the mids.

Sep 11, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #943 of 2,344
Quote:
How do the pearstone pads compare to the m50 pads in the long run? I heard that the m50 pads harden over time and would prefer to avoid that kind of situation.

Not sure, but the Pearstone pads are kind of scratchy. I just bought a new pair of those today for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully they're as good as I remember. I wonder if anyone has tried the SRH-940 pads on the DJ100? I was 99% sure the SRH-1840 pads were the same, but I guess not. The 1840 pads kill the sound of the DJ100.

Someone once said the SRH-940 pads work with the DJ100, but I wish I could confirm they were are different than the 1840 pads.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #945 of 2,344
Quote:
Has anyone tried a cmoy amp with the TB? I was thinking on buying one from ebay, they're cheap but I have no idea if it'll be a good pair; or should I stick to the E6 for now?

I have a CMoy from juice2214. I think it makes a nice pair with the TBSE1s; the soundstage widens and the vocals are brought back a bit. If you read up on Op-Amps, I think you'll find the OP2227 to be best suited to headphones like the Pro DJ100/DJ200/TBSE1s.

I was advised to buy a CMoy because apparently the E5 didn't have enough power. No idea about the E6, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back