Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 1, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #976 of 2,344
http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp

$50! Will be purchasing it ASAP. Thats a steal.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #977 of 2,344
I just asked

"I see that the Koss Tony Bennett has been discontinued? If I have a pair of Tony Bennett's and I have to use the lifetime warranty to replace it, would it be replaced with a DJ100 or DJ200?"

Customer support replied in about 5 minutes (that was fast..) and said "[size=x-small]If anything happens to your Tony Bennets they will be replaced with the same model."[/size]

[size=x-small]EDIT:[/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]"They have been discontinued from the line."[/size][/size]

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #980 of 2,344
Quote:
Gah! Should I buy these even though I already have the DJ100s?

I wouldn't bother really unless you need a case, free album and detachable cable. I already have the Tony Bennett and probably will pass on a backup if my local store doesn't have them in stock.

Quote:
@tdockweiler
Would stuffing polyfil into the m40 pads create the same result as using the circular foam you're trying to do?

Nope, I don't think so. I think it's just due to how the foam seems to smooth out the treble somehow. It's strange how the best pads for this seemed to have a foam backing. The V6 and M50 pads do, but the M40 pads don't. I wonder what the stock pads would sound like if a piece of thin foam was put inside them.

I still need to try HM5 pads, but they ship from China and may take 1-2 weeks to arrive.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #982 of 2,344
Got the TBSE. Let the burn in begin. Sounds a little muffled to me right now. I'll see if it changes.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #983 of 2,344
Quote:
Got the TBSE. Let the burn in begin. Sounds a little muffled to me right now. I'll see if it changes.

I got that too with 2 of my pairs. It's bizarre. Both of them I thought were defects at first. I think there was another person who reported this muffled sound on some pairs out of the box. I don't think he's around anymore though.

I remember being able to compare a new pair with one that i've used for thousands of hours. It took about 3-4 days in a drawer (at night) to sound identical to my well used pair.

Burn in is stupid and a waste of time, but it doesn't cost anything and this is one pair that it actually helped. If it sounds great out of the box I don't bother. My Tony Bennett was perfect.

The DJ100/TB can vary in sound a lot too depending on what it's connected to. It seems to hate dark amps.

I clearly remember once thinking that new out of the box the mids didn't sound forward at all and the treble was almost non-existent. Obviously this is impossible, but that's what I heard. That impression soon changed.

My well used TB is crystal clear and has slightly forward mids. Less so than say my Philips Downtown (which I hate).

People say there is no way a headphone can sound bad out of the box and great after burn-in, but this may be one of those rare headphones
biggrin.gif
Luckily it doesn't need 1000 hours.
Just a good week of use is way more than enough.

I think it's due to the Titanium driver. Even the Pro4AAAT is said to need a little use to be at it's best.

I didn't get a chance to check my local store to see if they had them. Can't buy one anyway. It'd be nice to have an extra around.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #984 of 2,344
Quote:
Finally decided to buy the total airhead within the next week or so. Would I need to buy anything else? I only have the dj100 for now and will probably buy some m50 pads in the future.

Nope, they should still come with the small interconnect cables.
Some claim a LOD cable is soooo much better, but to my ears, the headphone out of nearly all my portables always sounds better. Maybe it's because i'm crazy and use them with the Q701 and DJ100.

Even the Fuze IMO sounds best with the DJ100 when bypassing the LOD and using the headphone out to amp. Doesn't degrade the sound in any way.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #985 of 2,344
Quote:

I got that too with 2 of my pairs. It's bizarre. Both of them I thought were defects at first. I think there was another person who reported this muffled sound on some pairs out of the box. I don't think he's around anymore though.

I remember being able to compare a new pair with one that i've used for thousands of hours. It took about 3-4 days in a drawer (at night) to sound identical to my well used pair.

Burn in is stupid and a waste of time, but it doesn't cost anything and this is one pair that it actually helped. If it sounds great out of the box I don't bother. My Tony Bennett was perfect.

The DJ100/TB can vary in sound a lot too depending on what it's connected to. It seems to hate dark amps.

I clearly remember once thinking that new out of the box the mids didn't sound forward at all and the treble was almost non-existent. Obviously this is impossible, but that's what I heard. That impression soon changed.

My well used TB is crystal clear and has slightly forward mids. Less so than say my Philips Downtown (which I hate).

People say there is no way a headphone can sound bad out of the box and great after burn-in, but this may be one of those rare headphones
biggrin.gif
Luckily it doesn't need 1000 hours.
Just a good week of use is way more than enough.

I think it's due to the Titanium driver. Even the Pro4AAAT is said to need a little use to be at it's best.

I didn't get a chance to check my local store to see if they had them. Can't buy one anyway. It'd be nice to have an extra around.

It's fun to listen to it while it changes. If it stays like this it's fine, I'm starting to like it anyways 
normal_smile .gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #988 of 2,344
Quote:
Just bought KOSS DJ100, mine have a KOSS sign on a side painted in silver instead of being black, is it some style change or is it a fake or some kind?

I think the versions inside Europe have the silver/white painting on the sides and a white logo on the headband.
Did you buy it inside the USA? If so maybe you have an imported version or they changed some things.

Oct 5, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #990 of 2,344
I am tempted to get a pair of these but am wondering if they would work well with the amp in the Xonar DG, I would pretty much leave these plugged into that 24/7.

Also how is the sound signature compared to the Sennheiser HD-25 II? I want something different honestly, but still very detailed, maybe smoother, I was looking into the Samson SR850 but these seem like they might be the better buy, I would use them mainly for gaming which I thought opened might work better for but I hear the sound stage was rather good on these also and they look very comfortable, my ears are small so it should cover them totally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back