Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Dec 10, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #196 of 2,344

Quote:
I'm pulling the trigger on these soon on Amazon. Any heads-up I should know?
I listen to mostly Dubstep, Rave, D&B, and a healthy dose of Rock. I'm not using these for gaming; these are for school and my bus commute.
I'm using these with my Android phone (HTC Inspire 4G, if that makes a difference), will I need an amp for these?
Also, I'm 99% sure that the ear cups pivot inwards toward your chest, is this true?

It should drive them OK, but not 100% sure. You could always try them at a local Best Buy if you have any in your area. You can check stock online first.
The cups pivot outward and will lay flat. Not towards your chest unfortunately. They also kind of fold up a bit, but not like the M50.

If you like them, I highly suggest some M50 pads, but it's not required.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #197 of 2,344
Wow, Marximus! Just had a peep at your profile to see what headphones you've had, and you've had quite a variety. I just got my DJ100's, and I'm loving them (especially for their "bang for buck" value)! I was wondering if you would be able to compare these to any of the headphones you've had in the past? Thanks!

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #198 of 2,344
Found a very good Youtube review of these today. Sounds a bit like he should work for QVC, but he's actually very in depth and spot on with his impressions and review. It made my day to hear him suggest a Hifiman EF-5 for them
biggrin.gif
The only thing I wouldn't agree with him is that they're "very neutral", but no big deal. I say they're balanced sounding to my ears, but not quite neutral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkPqjWfD6w

(skip to the 5 min mark to know about it's sound)

That's actually not me, and it's weird because my review would be practically the same or similar?!

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #200 of 2,344

Quote:
Haha, I just found the same vid today!
Is it true that the cups are fully metal?

Did you get my PM and can you reply if you have time?

Greetings,

I was also checking out his HE-300 review. Not a bad reviewer compared to the usual Youtube Headphone reviews.
Yeah the DJ100 has metal cups, but the insides are plastic.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #201 of 2,344
Could anyone help me out with these questions;

Can these handle the lows of Dubstep, or would Dubstep sound terrible on them?

Will a Xonar DG be good enough to drive them properly?

How is the sound compared to a SRH440, especially the bass?

Greetings,

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #202 of 2,344
I really wanted to like these, and the M50 pads helped, but I'm going to stick with my 598s and look to pick up the KNS-8400s again.  The DJ100s are in the FS forum.

Quote:
Wow, Marximus! Just had a peep at your profile to see what headphones you've had, and you've had quite a variety. I just got my DJ100's, and I'm loving them (especially for their "bang for buck" value)! I was wondering if you would be able to compare these to any of the headphones you've had in the past? Thanks!

I think the best adjective I'd use for them would be meaty.  Pretty thick, impactful bass.  Perhaps a closed version of the FA-011?  But then again, the FA-011s reminded me of the DT 990s, and I don't think the DT 990s sound like the Pro DJ100s.  Just an overall thick, warm signature.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #203 of 2,344
They have more bass response, can pull off dubstep with a good seal but I found them lacking in subbass quantity and rumble but they had solid bass besides that, personally. Xonar DGs should be able to drive them, and it'll have a more bass-heavy response than the SRH440s.

Quote:

Greetings,

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #204 of 2,344
Considering most Dubstep has poor 'lows' yes. 

Although yes they'll do just fine with any bassy genre. I primarily listen to EDM and I love mine.

Quote:

Greetings,

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #205 of 2,344
I had the chance to compare the pro100djwithoutultraproxgradeaaaattt/++++.

A well build Koss headphone and the the first one for long with good sound and build quality.
In comparison the pro/80 sound thin and boxed.
Only the ear Pads are koss typical. Nice for the Live long and prosper warranty but for a dj product miss matched. I had some fit problems too.
Typical pro4 synthetic sound signature with some precision, but better balance.
Base and Instruments are bodied, but lacking transients and the fine body definition of the Auditor driver.  
The biggest problem are the upper mids and highs. Shouty and with some grain. The Koss 32 Ohm and 90 Ohm capsule headphones have the same problems.
Comparison of the dj100 with my open and slightly pad and resonance modified HV would be unfair, because the pro100 has no chance. It is in one word, bloated and with low detail definition like hell.

Something on the pro100 vocals. There are ok and really good for a closed Koss but nothing special. Over hyped, if you never listened to the closed Auditor series. 

Conclusion, neither fish nor flesh and the closed Auditor 130 is up to date the better headphone in hifi terms. Natural sound and tonality with bigger stage and resolution. Needs only some resonance dampening.

Is the Koss dj100 a good build and sounding Budget King in my ears?
Definitely at this price point.
I would call it a outstanding deal. They outperform the K518dj/81 without problems.

Now Koss should make a closed and open Auditor hi-fi headphone successor or update the plastic to death ESP Deathstar for high quality mobile and home use, I am still waiting for.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #206 of 2,344

Quote:
I had the chance to compare the pro100djwithoutultraproxgradeaaaattt/++++.

A well build Koss headphone and the the first one for long with good sound and build quality.
In comparison the pro/80 sound thin and boxed.
Only the ear Pads are koss typical. Nice for the Live long and prosper warranty but for a dj product miss matched. I had some fit problems too.
Typical pro4 synthetic sound signature with some precision, but better balance.
Base and Instruments are bodied, but lacking transients and the fine body definition of the Auditor driver.  
The biggest problem are the upper mids and highs. Shouty and with some grain. The Koss 32 Ohm and 90 Ohm capsule headphones have the same problems.
Comparison of the dj100 with my open and slightly pad and resonance modified HV would be unfair, because the pro100 has no chance. It is in one word, bloated and with low detail definition like hell.

Something on the pro100 vocals. There are ok and really good for a closed Koss but nothing special. Over hyped, if you never listened to the closed Auditor series. 

Conclusion, neither fish nor flesh and the closed Auditor 130 is up to date the better headphone in hifi terms. Natural sound and tonality with bigger stage and resolution. Needs only some resonance dampening.

Is the Koss dj100 a good build and sounding Budget King in my ears?
Definitely at this price point.
I would call it a outstanding deal. They outperform the K518dj/81 without problems.

Now Koss should make a closed and open Auditor hi-fi headphone successor or update the plastic to death ESP Deathstar for high quality mobile and home use, I am still waiting for.

I do agree that the DJ100 can often be "shouty" on specific music. I actually think to me that this is due to bad recordings that seem to be harsh or fatiguing on any headphone. I actually found the K400 and SA3000 much more "shouty" and tiring. I actually like this about the DJ100, but it almost never bothers me. I think what makes the DJ100 so good for me is it's forward sounding mids. Some may not like this, but I love it. I think it's wrong for anyone to buy these and expect a flat or neutral headphone. Just balanced sounding to me. Nothing usually jumps out at me. To me, these are about as fatiguing as an HD-600. No, I'm not kidding! Even despite the forward mids! To make the DJ100 less "shouty" you can use the M50 pads. This helps smooth out the sound even more. The mids are still forward, but a tiny bit more balanced out and you have more treble.

I'm not surprised it's not better than some of their old discontinued models. I do have the A250 on the way soon for comparison. I can't wait to hear it!!

I've never ever found the DJ100 to have bloated bass. I think it's some of the best bass i've heard on a budget headphone. The only time I had bloated bass on the DJ100 is when it's coming straight out of a portable player (not on the Clip strangely) or under-amped. I also experience this bloated bass issue on the E9, which seems to have problems driving some portable headphones. I guess if you compared the bass quantity to say a KRK headphone, then it is. IMO the bass never bleeds into the mids and if it is, there is something wrong. I only had this happen once or twice.

I've also found these are a lot more bassy out of the Ipod Touch. Some may like this. Not so much to be a problem though!

Thanks for the impressions. I've been interested in hearing the K518dj/81 for a year or so. Sounds like something worth trying out.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #207 of 2,344
Is there any other way to improve sound on here other than buying the M50 pads? I don't mind the stock pads, but could you use foam behind the pads, to push them out? 

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #208 of 2,344

Quote:
Is there any other way to improve sound on here other than buying the M50 pads? I don't mind the stock pads, but could you use foam behind the pads, to push them out? 

I think some people stuffed paper towel or something behind the pads. I haven't tried this and don't know if you'd get the same effect. I actually think the M50 pads work so well because your ears seems to slightly further away from the driver. The more air around inside the pad and the better they sound for whatever reason. Yet too much and they have really harsh treble. The SRH-840 pads on them caused this.

One idea is to stuff the pads on the edges and see if the sound changes at all. It seems the DJ100 sounds best with oval pads for some reason.

I also put some Dynamat type material on the back of the driver called "Quick Roof". Probably not worth the $16, but some people have Dynamat type material around already.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #209 of 2,344
I've done this before with paper towels and I felt it made a slight improvement.

Quote:
I think some people stuffed paper towel or something behind the pads. I haven't tried this and don't know if you'd get the same effect. I actually think the M50 pads work so well because your ears seems to slightly further away from the driver. The more air around inside the pad and the better they sound for whatever reason. Yet too much and they have really harsh treble. The SRH-840 pads on them caused this.

One idea is to stuff the pads on the edges and see if the sound changes at all. It seems the DJ100 sounds best with oval pads for some reason.

I also put some Dynamat type material on the back of the driver called "Quick Roof". Probably not worth the $16, but some people have Dynamat type material around already.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #210 of 2,344
I have a crap tone of Dynamat around! If anyone need a small bit of it I can part with some.

Also Travis: I used Dynamat Extreme on the DJ100 I got off of you and whoah it killed some of the resonance. I put a tad on the back of the driver then used adhesive felt and applied the felt to the inside of the cup. That really tamed the "shot" you described in the sound. It also made the mids sound smoother as well as the treble.

I put some paper towel under the pads and it made the bass a mess. The whole sound became congested and the bass was muddy and super sloppy sounding now. Recommend not I do.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back