Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Nov 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #181 of 2,344

Quote:
Ok so got my cable and goodies in, time for some work.

Here's how I'm seeing it's going:

From cable: BLK,GRY,RED1
To L Driver: GRY, GRN from crossover [+], BLK, COP from crossover [ground]
Crossover: RED1, GRN, COP

On the right side from the crossover....

To switch: RED2,GRN
To R Driver: RED1, RED2 [+], COP [ground]

So to get rid of the switch and keep a single sided stereo with some Mogami Quad, I'm thinking of this:

Cut GRN out altogether
Cut RED2 out altogether
Solder RED1 from the crossover to a + wire on the left side
Solder COP from the crossover to a ground wire on the left side
Solder GRY to the other + wire 
Solder BLK to the other ground wire

How's it sound? I was thrown off by the copper wire being only on the ground pads on both drivers, but since it's a ground, it didn't have to be connected to the cable directly for the current to flow, or so I'm guessing. Anyone have any edits to this so far? If this works well, I can just keep it up and take a couple pics to show how it looks.

I'd just suggest a drill instead and bypass the internal wires
normal_smile%20.gif
That will give you the most benefit from the Mogami.

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #183 of 2,344

Quote:
Very true! I think it's becoming more of a "can it be done" now than a "will it be better"! 
biggrin.gif

I have my DJ100 with the Mogami as dual entry. I previously tried to feed it through the stereo/mono switch but that was more trouble than it was worth. The Mogami won't fit through the headband and I've tried it to keep it single entry. It'd have to be ultra thin and would be more trouble than it's worth.

I'm thinking about now using a stock DJ100 shell to make it open. Kind of like the D2000 open mod. I experimented with an open DJ100 before, but it's hard to get right.

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #184 of 2,344
Enjoying my recently acquired DJ100s.  A little warm and bassy, but I think they're still burning in.  Knowing what I know now, I'd never even consider them if it weren't for the M50 pads.  They make a world of difference in terms of both sound quality and comfort. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT THE M50 PADS!  In my humble opinion.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #185 of 2,344
Enjoying my recently acquired DJ100s.  A little warm and bassy, but I think they're still burning in.  Knowing what I know now, I'd never even consider them if it weren't for the M50 pads.  They make a world of difference in terms of both sound quality and comfort. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT THE M50 PADS!  In my humble opinion.

Cannot agree more!

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #186 of 2,344

Quote:

I haven't tried them with the M50 pads, but I find nothing wrong with them with the stock pads. Could be the size of my ears and my head, I dunno. 

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #188 of 2,344
Tyll from Inner Fidelity did a nice review of the DJ100/Tony Bennett found here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/koss-tony-bennett-special-edition-tbse1-headphone

Looks like I need to give them a comparison myself to the Skullcandy Aviator
biggrin.gif
Those things look super comfortable and much better than their usual headphones.

Prefer the DJ100 to the M50, SRH-840, ZX700, MDR-7506 and SRH-940, but I'm always looking for something better that's good and cheap. Haven't found it yet, but the KRK KNS-6400 has come close.
SR-225i is also sound really good right now too.

Dec 5, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #189 of 2,344

Quote:
Tyll from Inner Fidelity did a nice review of the DJ100/Tony Bennett found here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/koss-tony-bennett-special-edition-tbse1-headphone

Looks like I need to give them a comparison myself to the Skullcandy Aviator
biggrin.gif
Those things look super comfortable and much better than their usual headphones.

Prefer the DJ100 to the M50, SRH-840, ZX700, MDR-7506 and SRH-940, but I'm always looking for something better that's good and cheap. Haven't found it yet, but the KRK KNS-6400 has come close.
SR-225i is also sound really good right now too.

I have the Aviators and the DJ100. The Aviators are definitely the more comfortable headphone. I tend to forget I am wearing it when listening to it. I haven't listened to it in awhile, so I'll throw them on tomorrow, and give you my take on the differences between them and the DJ100.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #190 of 2,344
Wow, I had the most bizarre thing ever happen. Probably the weirdest thing in 4 years with headphones.

For the past week I kept complaining that my DJ100 sounded funny and not it's usual self.

Today I spent about an hour trying every amp/dac/cable combination to get it to it's usual self with no luck.
On EVERY combination It had really bloated bass and the mids quite recessed (never ever sounds like this!!). Often it felt like I was hearing this tin can type effect. It was just so weird.

The last thing I did was to heat shrink the Mogami cable and I had to expand the holes I drilled into the cups.

I thought for a second that maybe this Mogami wasn't as good as I originally thought (this was wrong!!), so I replaced the cable with a Grado SR-80 cable I had laying around.

Sounded a bit better, but the mids kept sounding much too distant. Not the same at all.

Soldered on a Canare cable and still bad. What the heck?! I even checked the driver for damage, but it looked good.

Out of nowhere I plugged the ultra tiny holes I made to insert the wires and it was fixed! How on earth would two ultra small holes effect the sound this much?! Makes no sense at all.

During the time I had this issue I was complaining that the Micro Amp was making them too bassy, well I tried it and now it's not so bad and perfectly listenable.

I also found that with the Canare, it does add the impression of more bass. I removed it and re-attached the Mogami W2893 and it's back to where it was and sounds PERFECT!

This HRT Music Streamer II really pushes the last bit of detail out of the DJ100. Pretty impressive for a $80 headphone!

So for those that recable these, make sure to be 100% sure the holes are not partially open even a little bit. I think I know why Koss never added any "vent" holes in the shell.

Now that my favorite headphone is back to 100%, I'm going to compare it to the 325is and see who comes out as a winner.

BTW I should have gotten a clue something was wrong when the M50 pads with the FOAM removed (don't do it!) were not fatiguing my ears. I now need to buy more M50 pads.

With the M50 pads with the foam removed (100% dont suggest this), I think the mids are even more forward than that of the 325is!

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #191 of 2,344
Been listening to my "NEW" Dj100 all day. Not sure why I ever bought the SR-325is since the DJ100 seems to sound much better. SR-325is is just clearer and has more treble. I'd like to say it has more detail, but maybe the extra treble has me fooled. Bass on the 325is is also pretty pathetic compared to the DJ100. Still like it though.

After wasting time trying to mod the DJ100, I think all it needs is a small piece of Dynamat on the back of the driver. Just a square will do and be sure to NOT cover the vent hole or get too close to it. I really do think the Mogami W2893 is the best wire for it and a cheap upgrade.

I'm using a cheap alternative of the Dynamat that's found at Home Depot called "Quick Roof". It sounds better with a small piece on the back and not inside the cups. I have some if anyone needs any. It's a huge roll and I've only used maybe a foot of it.

If you want a good DAC for the DJ100, the HRT Music Streamer II seems like a perfect match! Love this DAC and best upgrade I ever made. It even plays well with the Q701 and my SR-325is. I'm sitll a non-believer of how some think the DJ100 doesn't benefit from a good amp or DAC. To me, it's benefited even more than my HD-598 and SR-325is. Pretty impressive what the HRT has done for it's level of detail and the soundstage size..all on an $80 headphone!

I was going to do a A/B comparison to my SR-325is last night and take notes, but I kept getting distracted by the DJ100 and didn't want to switch back
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #192 of 2,344
I swear I'll quit bumping this thread. I'm still trying to figure out why these headphones never sound consistently good when I switch Source/AMPs.
Everytime I change source/amps I'm left feeling that they're a bit "off" and not sounding like they should.

I previously said they're good using a Sansa Fuze, Fiio LOD and E5. Well, not as good as I thought. I should have tested that combination for many more hours.
The PDF info on Inner Fidelity seems to suggest they will be easy to drive from any source. I never had that much luck.

I spent an hour testing several setups and lots of different music.

Here's a few I tried:

Sansa Fuze > LOD > Fiio E5

Sounds acceptable, but barely. Sound is about at 75% of what the DJ100 is capable of IMO. The bass is kind of bloated. The mids are not their usual self and NOT forward sounding. Close, but not quite. Sound clarity is kind of not that good. Small soundstage. On simple music that's just say acoustic or singing, they're much better and quite good.

I think the internal amp of the Fuze is actually much more powerful than that of the E5. Connecting up the DJ100 straight to the Fuze makes them sound much better. The bass is still kind of not very well controlled at all. The mids are much more forward and what they SHOULD sound like. I'd say that the DJ100 with this setup is at about 90% of what it should sound like.

I do notice that the mids are kind of lacking when under-amped and it has really sloppy bass. It's like this out of the Fuze somewhat.

After finding the Fuze decent enough at driving the DJ100 (not perfect) I want to see if I could fix the bass. I did something that is normally a bad idea. I connected a  cable straight from the Fuze to an E5 and bypassed the LOD. I know this is a no-no, but it  now sounds PERFECT! What the heck?! You'd think this would alter the sound signature or kill the sound, but it doesn't Someone should try this and report back.

I also tried the Fuze LOD to a Total Airhead (which can drive an HD-600 quite well!) and the DJ100 had bloated bass and recessed mids. The Airhead is an awesome amp for the money, so I'm confused why this is so weird sounding. I did the crazy thing again and bypassed the LOD of the Fuze and it's just as good, if not better than the E5+Fuze combo.

The absolute best sound I got was using a Ipod Touch 3G with NO LOD (!!) and a Total Airhead. Again...what the heck?! Before this I tried using a docked Ipod Touch and the bass is bloated and the sound is pretty bad. Mids are just not their usual self.

I also tried using the DJ100 straight out of a portable CD player. Sounds like garbage. Attaching an amp (bad idea, I know) sounds good.

I previously said that amp overkill was BAD for the DJ100, but it turns out my DJ100 was just acting goofy. I've been pretty impressed with the DJ100 connected to my Headroom Micro Amp using an HRT Music Streamer II. Probably the best I've heard the DJ100. It's on medium gain.

I said it in my previous post, but somehow these seem to benefit more from an amp than my HD-598 and SR-325is. I'm surprised that connecting it to a full desktop amp doesn't kill the sound. I probably won't try it with the E9! I remember that kind of bloating the bass too much.

It seems like the more power you give these, the clearer they sound. Weird. Looks like the Sansa Fuze can drive them decently. Probably even better than the Ipod Touch? Maybe not.

Maybe I'll buy a Clip and see if it can drive them as well as a Fuze. Probably not, but maybe. The problem with the Fuze is that they don't really get loud enough, but good enough.

I think I should try them with my Onkyo receiver downstairs. I bet they'd sound amazing, but maybe not.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #193 of 2,344

Quote:
I swear I'll quit bumping this thread. I'm still trying to figure out why these headphones never sound consistently good when I switch Source/AMPs.
Everytime I change source/amps I'm left feeling that they're a bit "off" and not sounding like they should.

I previously said they're good using a Sansa Fuze, Fiio LOD and E5. Well, not as good as I thought. I should have tested that combination for many more hours.
The PDF info on Inner Fidelity seems to suggest they will be easy to drive from any source. I never had that much luck.

I spent an hour testing several setups and lots of different music.

Here's a few I tried:

Sansa Fuze > LOD > Fiio E5

Sounds acceptable, but barely. Sound is about at 75% of what the DJ100 is capable of IMO. The bass is kind of bloated. The mids are not their usual self and NOT forward sounding. Close, but not quite. Sound clarity is kind of not that good. Small soundstage. On simple music that's just say acoustic or singing, they're much better and quite good.

I think the internal amp of the Fuze is actually much more powerful than that of the E5. Connecting up the DJ100 straight to the Fuze makes them sound much better. The bass is still kind of not very well controlled at all. The mids are much more forward and what they SHOULD sound like. I'd say that the DJ100 with this setup is at about 90% of what it should sound like.

I do notice that the mids are kind of lacking when under-amped and it has really sloppy bass. It's like this out of the Fuze somewhat.

After finding the Fuze decent enough at driving the DJ100 (not perfect) I want to see if I could fix the bass. I did something that is normally a bad idea. I connected a  cable straight from the Fuze to an E5 and bypassed the LOD. I know this is a no-no, but it  now sounds PERFECT! What the heck?! You'd think this would alter the sound signature or kill the sound, but it doesn't Someone should try this and report back.

I also tried the Fuze LOD to a Total Airhead (which can drive an HD-600 quite well!) and the DJ100 had bloated bass and recessed mids. The Airhead is an awesome amp for the money, so I'm confused why this is so weird sounding. I did the crazy thing again and bypassed the LOD of the Fuze and it's just as good, if not better than the E5+Fuze combo.

The absolute best sound I got was using a Ipod Touch 3G with NO LOD (!!) and a Total Airhead. Again...what the heck?! Before this I tried using a docked Ipod Touch and the bass is bloated and the sound is pretty bad. Mids are just not their usual self.

I also tried using the DJ100 straight out of a portable CD player. Sounds like garbage. Attaching an amp (bad idea, I know) sounds good.

I previously said that amp overkill was BAD for the DJ100, but it turns out my DJ100 was just acting goofy. I've been pretty impressed with the DJ100 connected to my Headroom Micro Amp using an HRT Music Streamer II. Probably the best I've heard the DJ100. It's on medium gain.

I said it in my previous post, but somehow these seem to benefit more from an amp than my HD-598 and SR-325is. I'm surprised that connecting it to a full desktop amp doesn't kill the sound. I probably won't try it with the E9! I remember that kind of bloating the bass too much.

It seems like the more power you give these, the clearer they sound. Weird. Looks like the Sansa Fuze can drive them decently. Probably even better than the Ipod Touch? Maybe not.

Maybe I'll buy a Clip and see if it can drive them as well as a Fuze. Probably not, but maybe. The problem with the Fuze is that they don't really get loud enough, but good enough.

I think I should try them with my Onkyo receiver downstairs. I bet they'd sound amazing, but maybe not.

I'll let you know how they compare out of the iPod Touch as opposed to the Fuze as soon as my brother gets home. I have a Fuze and he has a Touch. I don't mind the sound out of the Fuze, but they are much more enjoyable when connected to my STX. And I prefer these over the Aviators when connected to the STX, but I prefer the Aviators when used in conjunction with my Fuze sans amp. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #194 of 2,344
I'm pulling the trigger on these soon on Amazon. Any heads-up I should know?
I listen to mostly Dubstep, Rave, D&B, and a healthy dose of Rock. I'm not using these for gaming; these are for school and my bus commute.
I'm using these with my Android phone (HTC Inspire 4G, if that makes a difference), will I need an amp for these?
Also, I'm 99% sure that the ear cups pivot inwards toward your chest, is this true?

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #195 of 2,344

Quote:
I'll let you know how they compare out of the iPod Touch as opposed to the Fuze as soon as my brother gets home. I have a Fuze and he has a Touch. I don't mind the sound out of the Fuze, but they are much more enjoyable when connected to my STX. And I prefer these over the Aviators when connected to the STX, but I prefer the Aviators when used in conjunction with my Fuze sans amp. 

I'll definitely be interested in this. I bet the Ipod Touch could drive the DJ100 a tiny bit better than the Fuze. I have an Ipod Touch 2G, but it's headphone jack crackles nonstop and I need to figure out how to fix it without destroying it. I remember it driving the DJ100 quite well enough. Seems the Zune HD does even better perhaps.

To make matters worse, I've been testing interconnect cables for my DJ100 tonight.

Mogami W2528 seems to chop off some of the treble and the DJ100 doesn't need this. Strangely the 2893 doesn't have this issue on the DJ100.

Belden 1192A interconnect cables - This is a detail monster. One of my favorites, but due to all this extra detail and sound clarity, it's fairly fatiguing. DJ100 recabled with this and an interconnect would be crazy. This seems to give the DJ100 the best soundstage. Unlike the Mogami or Canare wire it's not forgiving of crappy recordings.

Double Helix Wire - Got some of this in a trade. Probably as close to the 1192A as it gets, but perhaps even more detailed. Seems to be a good match for the DJ100, but only as an interconnect cable. Should be amazing for  an HD-650/600.

Monoprice "Premium" - These are dirt cheap and don't have HF rolloff like the Canare/Mogami. Sounds pretty good too. This is a favorite..yes really.

IMO it seems like there's like an under 5% difference when swapping interconnects and with some headphones it's impossible to tell the difference.
Switch to the Double Helix or the Belden and it's stupid easy. Less so with the Canare or Mogami.

With the exception of the DH, all the wire above is dirt cheap. Wish they all sounded the same. Copper is copper right?
confused_face_2.gif

I guess it's all due to the Capacitance? The higher it is the more HF loss? 1192A is very low and Canare Starquad is highest.

Even the Monoprice stuff is an upgrade from anything you can get in a local Wal-Mart or Best Buy. I just bought another Monoprice 1.5 foot cable for $2.00!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back