Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Dec 14, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #211 of 2,344

Quote:
I put some paper towel under the pads and it made the bass a mess. The whole sound became congested and the bass was muddy and super sloppy sounding now. Recommend not I do.

I have a loop of CAT5 cable tucked under each pad.  It doesn't sound quite as good as stock (though not as bad as you describe, IMO), but the increase in comfort more than makes up for it.  I can actually wear them for a whole day at work without any pain.

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #212 of 2,344

Quote:
I have a crap tone of Dynamat around! If anyone need a small bit of it I can part with some.

Also Travis: I used Dynamat Extreme on the DJ100 I got off of you and whoah it killed some of the resonance. I put a tad on the back of the driver then used adhesive felt and applied the felt to the inside of the cup. That really tamed the "shot" you described in the sound. It also made the mids sound smoother as well as the treble.

I put some paper towel under the pads and it made the bass a mess. The whole sound became congested and the bass was muddy and super sloppy sounding now. Recommend not I do.

I think with the DJ100, the less mods the better. I think what you did is just about all that's needed. It'd actually make sense for anyone doing these mods to start with just the Dynamat on the back of the driver and then testing every additional step. Dynamat and some felt should be more than enough. Right now I like how it sounds with just a square of Dynamat on the driver, so I'll probably stop there. It's just a small square and it doesn't cover up the vent hole.

It seems that when I started messing around inside the DJ100 a few months ago I did too much all at once. It seems really important to not put too much material directly behind the driver in the cup. Felt should be OK.

The worst spot seems to be on the "ledges" inside the cup. This area and the middle of the cup seem to alter the sound the most, but not always in a good way.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #213 of 2,344
Out of the box, these sound fantastic. IDK what you guys are talking about
darthsmile.gif
But keep in mind my standards aren't as high as people around here
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #214 of 2,344

Quote:
Out of the box, these sound fantastic. IDK what you guys are talking about
darthsmile.gif
But keep in mind my standards aren't as high as people around here
tongue_smile.gif

I bet they will sound even better the more you listen to them! Keep us updated with your impressions of them later on. I still use mine all the time.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #215 of 2,344
I just received my m50 replacement pads, but I'm wondering if there is any sort of special procedure to removing the pads on the dj100? They seem to be pretty firmly locked on there, and I don't want to damage them. Thanks in advance.

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #216 of 2,344
What you do is just pull on the edge of the DJ100 pads and they come right out. To install the M50 pads just push the pads into the cracks and work your way around slowly while holding the M50 pad in place. With some practice it will take only 20 seconds.

Quote:
I just received my m50 replacement pads, but I'm wondering if there is any sort of special procedure to removing the pads on the dj100? They seem to be pretty firmly locked on there, and I don't want to damage them. Thanks in advance.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #217 of 2,344
Hey,
Is it worth it to buy the m50 pads over the m30?
the m50's are 23,40 euro
the m30's 18,60 euro
and the JVC will cost me 20 euro (!) the ear pads inc. the earphone itself!
is it worth buying new earpads at all?

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #218 of 2,344

Quote:
Hey,
Is it worth it to buy the m50 pads over the m30?
the m50's are 23,40 euro
the m30's 18,60 euro
and the JVC will cost me 20 euro (!) the ear pads inc. the earphone itself!
is it worth buying new earpads at all?

I think so. The M30 pads are basically the same as MDR-V6/7506 pads. V6 pads are ok on the DJ100, but I prefer the M50 pads due to more room and better comfort/sound.
If you're satisfied with the sound and comfort of the stock DJ100 pads, there's not much reason to upgrade them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #219 of 2,344
BTW if anyone cares, Koss is releasing the Pro DJ200 this month. It makes me sick!
Why? It's nothing new, but comes with volume control buttons on it's removable cable.
If it's only $10-$20 more it might be worth it, but knowing Koss, they'll probably charge way too much.

They also released another headphone, but it looks like it's aimed at kids or something. Looks a bit weird.

I need to recable mine again. Accidentally pulled out one of it's wires. Ooops.

Wonder if Koss knows how to even make an entirely new headphone instead of recycling what they already have?
At least they gave us two good headphones in 2010. UR-55 and DJ100.

http://www.koss.com/en/news/PR_ProDJ200

They also have a new Porta Pro..with new Ipod cable..wow...??

I really want an open headphone from them that's extremely comfortable and NOT portable.
I think Koss can make a good open headphone for around $150-$200.

Koss just needs to work a little harder on having better comfort for their headphones.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #220 of 2,344

Quote:
BTW if anyone cares, Koss is releasing the Pro DJ200 this month. It makes me sick!
Why? It's nothing new, but comes with volume control buttons on it's removable cable.
If it's only $10-$20 more it might be worth it, but knowing Koss, they'll probably charge way too much.

They also released another headphone, but it looks like it's aimed at kids or something. Looks a bit weird.

Wonder if Koss knows how to even make an entirely new headphone instead of recycling what they already have?

Looks like a TBSE without the Tony Bennett and with an iPod control cable.  They're even including the case.  You're probably right - it'll sound the same.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #221 of 2,344
Considering what a nice feature a removable cable is I'm sure it'll be between the TB Edition and the current Pro 100. At between 80 and 150 I'd still consider it worth it around 120. The case is nice, and I'd looooooove a removable cable.

Quote:
Looks like a TBSE without the Tony Bennett and with an iPod control cable.  They're even including the case.  You're probably right - it'll sound the same.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #222 of 2,344

Quote:

They also have a new Porta Pro..with new Ipod cable..wow...??

I really want an open headphone from them that's extremely comfortable and NOT portable.
I think Koss can make a good open headphone for around $150-$200.

Koss just needs to work a little harder on having better comfort for their headphones.

I think I am going to pick up the DJ200, just for the removable cable. I'll probably end up selling the 100s. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #225 of 2,344

The DJ100's cable is terrible. You should be intrigued by the fact you can attach any cable you want.

Also, as an actual DJ headphone the Koss' aren't a great choice...There's better options if you're looking for one. Especially if it's for live shows.

Quote:
I've been getting interested in the Pro DJ 100 lately.  The 200 doesn't look intriguing, since I have no use for volume buttons on DJ headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back