Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Nov 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #166 of 2,344

Quote:
I'll post some pics up when I (finally) get the cables and stuff in. Not meaning to endorse, but Sweetwater had my free shipping package here before 2 other companies' paid packages are here. AND they gave me candy in my order box.

Yeah, Sweetwater is very fast in shipping. I got the free candy too. You also should expect a huge catalog, an email and a phone call.
normal_smile%20.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #168 of 2,344
mine has recently developed an imbalance favoring the right side. when the switch is set to 'mono, the imbalance goes away. something wrong with the switch it self then. I have already reterminated them. Would i still be able to send it to koss, or do i need to recable at this point?

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #169 of 2,344

Quote:
mine has recently developed an imbalance favoring the right side. when the switch is set to 'mono, the imbalance goes away. something wrong with the switch it self then. I have already reterminated them. Would i still be able to send it to koss, or do i need to recable at this point?

As long as you didn't touch the insides, then I'm sure it'll still be covered by warranty. Or you could just save time and recable them. I suggest a drill to save time
biggrin.gif

I doubt Koss will void a warranty just for changing the external plug.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #171 of 2,344
i openned up the right cup, and disconeected the extra rt speaker positive wire that goes from the speaker to the mono switch. problem solved! 

Quote:
As long as you didn't touch the insides, then I'm sure it'll still be covered by warranty. Or you could just save time and recable them. I suggest a drill to save time
biggrin.gif

I doubt Koss will void a warranty just for changing the external plug.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #172 of 2,344

Quote:
I just bought one from buy.com for $50 with free shipping after reading this thread. http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=217088738&sellerid=28741111

My FiiO E10 is currently on its way. Will it be a good match for the DJ100?

tdockweiler said on the previous page that he didn't like the DJ100 with the E10, but I didn't think it sounded too bad.  Then again, I'm relatively new to this whole "audiophile" thing and I only used the DJ100 with the E10 for the first night I had them before taking the DJ100 to work, where it's powered by a Xonar U3.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #173 of 2,344
The DJ100 does not need an amp to shine. It's a really efficient headphone and can be used with any portable. I use it with my Zune HD and it sound glorious. 

Remember amping is very overstated (over hyped) on these boards.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #174 of 2,344
Zombie_X makes a good point. Amps make little difference on a good source, but make moire difference depending on what you're plugging it into. For instance, my E6 is good for my clip+ or my phone (as nasty as that path is), but woulds probably make little change to a nice Cowon player or a Hifiman or something.

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #175 of 2,344
I would only recommend an amp for them if your source is weak. Ipods are competent enough for the DJ100 so are the Sansa Clip, Clip+, and Fuze. Cowon players also fair very well with them as I've tried them on a D2+, S9, and a J3.

I've tried the DJ100 from all my home amps and the difference between amps and not amped is nearly non existent. Even from my Audio-GD ROC (powerful balanced solid state amp) via 4-Pin XLR the differences are not that big. 

So my advice is taking any suggestion for amping with a grain of salt. I have some phones that NEED a strong amp such as the K702 (now sold), and K501. My T1 benefits from a strong amp but since it's highly efficient you don't need anything with a ton of power. So even a Audio-GD C2 should do really well with the T1 given my experiences with my amps.

From my Mobile Fidelity X-CANV8P the T1 sounds really, really good. I think the VP powers it very well and with authority. That's because the T1 is so incredibly sensitive.

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #176 of 2,344
In my experiences with the DJ100, I agree with this. The power calculations also agree with my subjective feelings.

Quote:
The DJ100 does not need an amp to shine. It's a really efficient headphone and can be used with any portable. I use it with my Zune HD and it sound glorious. 

Remember amping is very overstated (over hyped) on these boards.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #177 of 2,344
I think one part of the problem is that if you suggest they're fine unamped, then people will usually complain they have no bass or sound bad. The reason is that they try to drive them from an ultra tiny portable mp3 player that barely has the power to drive many decent headphones.

I tried them with my Cowon Iaudio 7 and they sound very bad and there is no enough volume and really do sound bad. Very bad actually. There is also not enough volume straight out of my Sansa Fuze. Not enough for me, but I'll need to check it again. DJ100 out of the Clip? Seriously? I never would have imagine that'd work. Isn't the volume much too low?

Generally I don't think it's wrong to only suggest them ampless with stuff like the Zune HD, Ipod Touch or a Cowon S9. It seems that many people just try to drive them tiny devices and wonder why they don't sound good. It seems like many people these days prefer the smaller portable devices, but maybe that's not really true. I'll also need to try these out of an Ipod Classic. I bet that'd be a perfect match.

I'm still trying to figure out why some people on Amazon seem to think they lack bass. My only idea was the source was the problem or they're coming from an XB500! Who knows...

Anyone have a Sansa Clip they can try them with?

I still think they sound much better with portable amps. They have too much bass from my Micro Amp or E9. I don't know why. Maybe some will not even notice the difference, but it even bleeds into the mids with powerful desktop amps too much. Maybe my desktop amps are not as good at driving portable headphones very well.

BTW I played Skyrim with my DJ100 yesterday using the Turtle Beach DSS. Pretty impressive and sounded even clearer than my K240 Studio. A bit more bass than what I like for gaming though. I mostly use the Q701 for it though. That game is too addicting.

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #179 of 2,344
I suppose I should rephrase my statement: my computer's headphone out and also my Fiio E6 both have enough juice for the DJ100. I haven't done any volume matching A/Bing, but I feel like there is a subtle difference between the two, slightly improved by the E6. I have no experience with the Clip. 

It also makes sense that the E9 made the bass seem too powerful. The E9's output impedance is high enough that it would cause an audible hump in the bass range frequencies for this headphone's impedance. These guys need a low impedance source to really shine.

Quote:
I think one part of the problem is that if you suggest they're fine unamped, then people will usually complain they have no bass or sound bad. The reason is that they try to drive them from an ultra tiny portable mp3 player that barely has the power to drive many decent headphones.

I tried them with my Cowon Iaudio 7 and they sound very bad and there is no enough volume and really do sound bad. Very bad actually. There is also not enough volume straight out of my Sansa Fuze. Not enough for me, but I'll need to check it again. DJ100 out of the Clip? Seriously? I never would have imagine that'd work. Isn't the volume much too low?

Generally I don't think it's wrong to only suggest them ampless with stuff like the Zune HD, Ipod Touch or a Cowon S9. It seems that many people just try to drive them tiny devices and wonder why they don't sound good. It seems like many people these days prefer the smaller portable devices, but maybe that's not really true. I'll also need to try these out of an Ipod Classic. I bet that'd be a perfect match.

I'm still trying to figure out why some people on Amazon seem to think they lack bass. My only idea was the source was the problem or they're coming from an XB500! Who knows...

Anyone have a Sansa Clip they can try them with?

I still think they sound much better with portable amps. They have too much bass from my Micro Amp or E9. I don't know why. Maybe some will not even notice the difference, but it even bleeds into the mids with powerful desktop amps too much. Maybe my desktop amps are not as good at driving portable headphones very well.

BTW I played Skyrim with my DJ100 yesterday using the Turtle Beach DSS. Pretty impressive and sounded even clearer than my K240 Studio. A bit more bass than what I like for gaming though. I mostly use the Q701 for it though. That game is too addicting.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #180 of 2,344
Ok so got my cable and goodies in, time for some work.

Here's how I'm seeing it's going:

From cable: BLK,GRY,RED1
To L Driver: GRY, GRN from crossover [+], BLK, COP from crossover [ground]
Crossover: RED1, GRN, COP

On the right side from the crossover....

To switch: RED2,GRN
To R Driver: RED1, RED2 [+], COP [ground]

So to get rid of the switch and keep a single sided stereo with some Mogami Quad, I'm thinking of this:

Cut GRN out altogether
Cut RED2 out altogether
Solder RED1 from the crossover to a + wire on the left side
Solder COP from the crossover to a ground wire on the left side
Solder GRY to the other + wire 
Solder BLK to the other ground wire

How's it sound? I was thrown off by the copper wire being only on the ground pads on both drivers, but since it's a ground, it didn't have to be connected to the cable directly for the current to flow, or so I'm guessing. Anyone have any edits to this so far? If this works well, I can just keep it up and take a couple pics to show how it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back