Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #1,306 of 2,344
Quote:
So tdock, I shouldn't be worried about the glue-like stuff? xx0xx has me nervous. Does amazon have a history of passing refurbished goods off as new?

If it is actually stiff/dry stuff like glue, that's the only thing that would worry me. Though, if it's soft and could just be excess grease for the screw, then it should be fine and over time will loosen up, I'm sure, could just be a slight anomaly that happened during assembly/manufacturing. As long as it isn't ugly (if you care) or doesn't affect the pair significantly as far as functionality, I wouldn't worry about it. Just going by the pair I have, though, there they are completely dry/clean on the outside and the pivot points move freely. Not loose, but ease of movement.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,307 of 2,344
Quote:

At first I thought the TBSE1s sucked as gaming headphones, then I installed a sound mod for my ArmA 2 and the sound effects just blew my mind.

Yeah, I can't say it enough too. The DJ100s/TBSE1s are very sensitive to different sources. There are some songs that I prefer using my CMoy for, and some that I'd rather not.

IMO they're much better for gaming with M50 pads. Seems to improve the soundstage size and make them sound even a bit clearer (probably due to a tad more treble). I first did this test with Uncharted 2. I think that's one game that has decent sound. So many of my games sound a bit muffled or as if they compressed the sound files too much. Fallout 3 sounds a bit muffled at times with a very revealing headphone. This is actually not very noticeable on my Q701! Sometimes it even requires a closed headphone for some strange reason.

I remember playing through Bioshock 2 thinking the DJ100 almost actually almost had too much bass
biggrin.gif
You really do feel like your walking around in that giant suit of metal. On other headphones, it doesn't feel the same..

It seems that after 3 years theres still tiny things i'm learning about my DJ100! I think it's actually much more revealing than people give it credit for. Of course to get to be that way it needs a very revealing amp/dac. It's like the HD-650 though for me and makes all my harsh tracks a bit more bearable. It doesn't shove the detail in my face like the KRKs do.

I think I just said this last week, but my new HD-650 is slightly less bassy than my TB/DJ100. That's just bizarre...

BTW In an unrelated note, does anyone else think the Fuze LOD sounds worse than the headphone jack? It's supposed to be bypassing the internal amp. I noticed this with my HD-650 too.
At first I was thinking the DJ100 just liked the extra power from the internal amp when using the headphone jack to amp, but now this isn't really the case. It's just that the headphone out (to amp) sounds better.

I also noticed this when I tried the LOD cable from Fuze with my HD-650 and then immediately switched to headphone out.

Right now my Ipod Video (5.5) or Ipod 3G (monochrome) with LOD cable sounds much better than the Fuze with LOD.

The Fuze LOD sounds like it's a bit harsh in the mids at times. Sounds as if the sound of the DJ100 is a bit thinner and not as smooth sounding. Whenever I use the DJ100 it's always very full sounding without anything jumping out at me. Not completely flat, but I would say smooth sounding (like my HD-650).

BTW I just switched to my DJ100 after using the HD-650 for an hour. It's kind of a shock because the tracks (not the headphone!) sound so much worse. It really does feel that the HD-650 is making nearly everything sound better than it really is. At least from my portable devices. The HD-650 isn't like this as much with my ODAC and main amp.

This Ipod Video 5.5G sounds much worse with the DJ100 than the HD-650
biggrin.gif
Sounds actually like there is less low bass and a less clear sound when compared to my other Ipods. It seems the Dj100 doesn't love really warm sources. It's OK with the Clip+ at least. Maybe that has just a touch of warmth (compared to my ODAC!).

EDIT: Ipod Video 5.5 sounds pretty awful with the DJ100. There's this test track I use and the difference between it and the Ipod 3G is very clear. It's an acoustic recording that's kind of warm and has some low bass in there. On any setup that's too warm it sounds like a big congested mess. Too bad the Ipod 3G is so old and basically worthless to everyone now. First Ipod I ever bought and it originally came with only a Firewire cable! Gets my vote for the best Ipod i've heard yet. I think people love the Ipod Video maybe because it's rather warm sounding, yet supposedly has rolled off low bass. Sounds good with the HD-650 but not the DJ100...can't explain that.

I wonder if there's any portable players that are "cold and analytical"?
biggrin.gif

Quote:
So tdock, I shouldn't be worried about the glue-like stuff? xx0xx has me nervous. Does amazon have a history of passing refurbished goods off as new?

I've never had a problem with refurbished items as new. I once got a D2000 from warehouse deals when listed as Very Good, yet it had tons of paint defects so I returned it. I also got a fake E6 twice in a row from someone with a "fulfilled by Amazon" listing. They fixed that though I think.

If it falls apart, Koss has a lifetime warranty. They just require return shipping fees ($12 I think).

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #1,308 of 2,344
I've been looking for a fairly cheap closed headphone that would sound pretty good, and these caught my attention especially since they are only $55. Clarity and a fairly well-balanced sound is a must, if it's not clear sounding, the headphone is garbage to me. I don't like my Brainwavz HM5s because they are muddy at times and get confused sounding on faster paced music. How well do these things perform on tube amps in general? I get the impression they scale up very well. Of my current headphones only the DT 990s scale up very well.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #1,309 of 2,344
Cool, thanks guys. I was under the impression it was just something from the assembly that leaked out, but got a little nervous when I noticed it folded much more stiffly than the right. Mostly, I was concerned after the burn-in phase that any difference I'd notice would be placebo, as this the first set of phones I've had knowing about the process (my first pair that I've even researched or had any bit of care about). Are there specific changes I should notice after a 5-day burn-in period or does it vary per pair? I'm trying not to put them on at all during the process so I can really tell the difference. Honestly, right out of the box they sound better than any headphone I've owned.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,310 of 2,344
Quote:
Cool, thanks guys. I was under the impression it was just something from the assembly that leaked out, but got a little nervous when I noticed it folded much more stiffly than the right. Mostly, I was concerned after the burn-in phase that any difference I'd notice would be placebo, as this the first set of phones I've had knowing about the process (my first pair that I've even researched or had any bit of care about). Are there specific changes I should notice after a 5-day burn-in period or does it vary per pair? I'm trying not to put them on at all during the process so I can really tell the difference. Honestly, right out of the box they sound better than any headphone I've owned.

Just keep an eye on it. Koss will fix it for shipping costs, if there is a problem.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #1,311 of 2,344
Quote:
I've been looking for a fairly cheap closed headphone that would sound pretty good, and these caught my attention especially since they are only $55. Clarity and a fairly well-balanced sound is a must, if it's not clear sounding, the headphone is garbage to me. I don't like my Brainwavz HM5s because they are muddy at times and get confused sounding on faster paced music. How well do these things perform on tube amps in general? I get the impression they scale up very well. Of my current headphones only the DT 990s scale up very well.

I know i'm late to reply to this, but i'm bored.

It seems to me the main problem with 75% of the headphones under $75 is that they're not very clear sounding. There's a few small exceptions like the DT-235, KSC75 and a few others. Some of them are so highly praised here, yet IMO sounded like muffled crap. I won't mention which ones. Headphones under $30 are especially bad. The best i've tried though (other than KSC75) is the Koss UR-22V, which is easily found at Wal-Mart. Some may not like it though, but for $20 it's pretty good.

The DJ100 is crystal clear to me. If it ever isn't it's due to a source or amp that's too warm sounding or other issues. Usually if something is making it way too bassy (Which is rare). Same thing if there is something in it's signature that sticks out too much. The mids on these with my current setup don't sound all that much more forward than my HD-598 and HD-650. They're certainly not even remotely laid back though.

Some have said the DJ100 has too much treble, yet others say it doesn't have enough. Hearing people say it has too much is just absolutely bizarre to me. It does have more than every Sennheiser I have, but not it's like K702 or Grado like treble.

I do find the bass slightly above neutral. It definitely has more than my HD-650. I guess my new HD-650 is pretty much close to being very neutral in the bass. This crazy pair doesn't even have a mid-bass hump at all.

The DJ100 certainly isn't some flat studio monitor, but I would call it balanced mostly, but with slightly forward mids and a tad extra bass.

I don't know how Koss managed to give a headphone slightly emphasized bass, forward mids and still manage to have enough treble. That's usually impossible. Can't have it all usually. I think they do make some harsh music sound a bit easier on the ears. Maybe theres some slight dip in the lower treble or something. To me it's as fatigue free as the HD-650, but a lot more fun to listen to. I bet the creators of the DJ100 must have been fans of the Sextett and HD-650. I really would find it hard to believe Koss just picked some random import and called it the DJ100. I mean it's too good.

Never tried the DJ100 with a tube amp, but maybe someday. I'd like to try it with a cheap hybrid tube amp next year.

I haven't tried the DJ100 with any super expensive gear, but I will say that it has improved with every single upgrade i've made with my setup. Even more than my HD-600 and Q701. About the same as the HD-650. I know some here will think i'm nuts for saying this, but that's what I heard. I was surprised the ODAC didn't improve the Q701 further than it did. Yeah..i know there's some that think the DJ100 doesn't change at all..or doesn't even need an amp. My HD-650 actually sounds better without an amp
confused_face_2.gif
There's only two headphones I own that I refuse to use without an amp. The Q701 (K601 too I guess) and DJ100. I was really surprised how well my old Ipod 3G can drive the 650..

BTW I wonder if anyone has tried the DJ100 with the Schiit Lyr? Just read it has an output impedance of only .2ohm or something. Should be a good match for my HD-650 when I can actually afford a new amp.
I'm actually more interesed in how it is with the DJ100 rather than the HD-650
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #1,312 of 2,344
I went from $30 Panasonic HTF600's with DT Velour Pads which I found comfortable and good sounding for the price but I wanted an upgrade which I was led to DT 770 80 pro's which are ok but too bass heavy and they clamp too tight. I've been doing tons of reading and I'm stuck between the Koss DJ100's and KRK KNS-8400's, since there is an issue with comfort on the Koss it's pushing me away since people claim only the M50 pads are suitable to keep the sound quality. Would these headphones work good with Beyerdynamic Velour Pads?

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #1,313 of 2,344
Quote:
I went from $30 Panasonic HTF600's with DT Velour Pads which I found comfortable and good sounding for the price but I wanted an upgrade which I was led to DT 770 80 pro's which are ok but too bass heavy and they clamp too tight. I've been doing tons of reading and I'm stuck between the Koss DJ100's and KRK KNS-8400's, since there is an issue with comfort on the Koss it's pushing me away since people claim only the M50 pads are suitable to keep the sound quality. Would these headphones work good with Beyerdynamic Velour Pads?

IMO the DJ100s are way better than the KRK KNS-8400 and 6400. I own both of those and like them a lot too. One of the few closed headphones that gave the DJ100 some competition.
Believe it or not the DJ100 and 8400 have very good low bass extension, which some call bass light for whatever reason..

The DJ100 stock pads are not that bad. It takes time for them to adjust to your ears. They may be an issue if you have huge ears.

I think someone here tried the DT-770 pads but had to use a rubber band to hold the edges in place. He later edited his post saying they made it too fatiguing. This makes sense because if you have too much air between your ear and the driver, there is too much treble. I had a similar result with SRH-840 pads.

Or did you mean DT-250 velour pads? Those fit but sound horrible (IMO). Too harsh and fatiguing for me. Worse than removing the foam backing from M50 pads. I spent an hour modding the pads to sound good but came up with nothing.

BTW the 8400 definitely sounds like it has less bass (similar amounts of low bass though), but more treble. Some people think the KRKs aren't that musical. I think they are, but they're kind of not even remotely forgiving. The DJ100s to me are just fun to listen too and still balanced sounding.

You can still get the Tony Bennett version at some Tuesday Morning locations for $50. Then get some M50 pads for $20 if needed. The DJ100 itself sometimes drops to $55 on Amazon.

Also..you might be able to demo the KRKs at a Guitar Center if you have any nearby. Best Buy has the DJ200 in the pro audio section for demo. Should be the same as the cheaper DJ100. I believe theres a way to use your own portable source too.

As much as I like the KRKs, I probably could not live with them as my only headphone.

They sure are impressive for gaming though, especially Skyrim.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #1,314 of 2,344
i have to correct my first opinions on these that i wrote before. right now they are very very satisfying. i am still waiting for my m50 pads, so i took the pads of the isk hp2011 which are like oval beyer pads. they take away the coloration of the midrange, and opened up the sound. highs and mids come out nicely and sounstage became somewhat like my k701s but bass was gone. so i remembered an srh940 bass mod, that just means to stuff the pads with some rope, cotton balls or tissues, so that there is more room between driver and ear. and guess what, i briefly compared them with my srh940s and there is only a slight advantage in overall detail and imaging for the shures. tonality is now near par.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #1,315 of 2,344
Quote:
I know i'm late to reply to this, but i'm bored.

It seems to me the main problem with 75% of the headphones under $75 is that they're not very clear sounding. There's a few small exceptions like the DT-235, KSC75 and a few others. Some of them are so highly praised here, yet IMO sounded like muffled crap. I won't mention which ones. Headphones under $30 are especially bad. The best i've tried though (other than KSC75) is the Koss UR-22V, which is easily found at Wal-Mart. Some may not like it though, but for $20 it's pretty good.

The DJ100 is crystal clear to me. If it ever isn't it's due to a source or amp that's too warm sounding or other issues. Usually if something is making it way too bassy (Which is rare). Same thing if there is something in it's signature that sticks out too much. The mids on these with my current setup don't sound all that much more forward than my HD-598 and HD-650. They're certainly not even remotely laid back though.

Some have said the DJ100 has too much treble, yet others say it doesn't have enough. Hearing people say it has too much is just absolutely bizarre to me. It does have more than every Sennheiser I have, but not it's like K702 or Grado like treble.

I do find the bass slightly above neutral. It definitely has more than my HD-650. I guess my new HD-650 is pretty much close to being very neutral in the bass. This crazy pair doesn't even have a mid-bass hump at all.

The DJ100 certainly isn't some flat studio monitor, but I would call it balanced mostly, but with slightly forward mids and a tad extra bass.

I don't know how Koss managed to give a headphone slightly emphasized bass, forward mids and still manage to have enough treble. That's usually impossible. Can't have it all usually. I think they do make some harsh music sound a bit easier on the ears. Maybe theres some slight dip in the lower treble or something. To me it's as fatigue free as the HD-650, but a lot more fun to listen to. I bet the creators of the DJ100 must have been fans of the Sextett and HD-650. I really would find it hard to believe Koss just picked some random import and called it the DJ100. I mean it's too good.

Never tried the DJ100 with a tube amp, but maybe someday. I'd like to try it with a cheap hybrid tube amp next year.

I haven't tried the DJ100 with any super expensive gear, but I will say that it has improved with every single upgrade i've made with my setup. Even more than my HD-600 and Q701. About the same as the HD-650. I know some here will think i'm nuts for saying this, but that's what I heard. I was surprised the ODAC didn't improve the Q701 further than it did. Yeah..i know there's some that think the DJ100 doesn't change at all..or doesn't even need an amp. My HD-650 actually sounds better without an amp
confused_face_2.gif
There's only two headphones I own that I refuse to use without an amp. The Q701 (K601 too I guess) and DJ100. I was really surprised how well my old Ipod 3G can drive the 650..

BTW I wonder if anyone has tried the DJ100 with the Schiit Lyr? Just read it has an output impedance of only .2ohm or something. Should be a good match for my HD-650 when I can actually afford a new amp.
I'm actually more interesed in how it is with the DJ100 rather than the HD-650
biggrin.gif

Yeah. Exactly, I've only heard two headphones in the sub-$100 range than I could call pretty clear, both were AKGs. One had build quality issues(thus why I don't have them anymore) and the other has knife-like treble(much much brighter than the DT 990). Same, there's a few I thought were absolute trash, I feel stupid for buying them. I'm hesitant to trust this site on recommendations.

That's all I really needed to know is if they are clear sounding. If it has more treble than any Sennheiser you have that is a good thing. I don't really like the treble on the Sennheisers I heard, many Senns I don't like much either. Only Senns I heard that I liked were the HD 380 and the HD 600. The HD 650 was mixed, I didn't like the HD 650 I heard too much. Does the HD 598 sound anything like the HD 555/595? The HD 555/595 sounded like trash to me. To me the Senn HD 650 seems to be overrated, at least the one I heard. The owner of the headphone thought the same. I'm not worried about hearing high-end headphones, a friend of mine has tons of high-end phones and audio equipment, so I can make an informed decision on future large purchases thankfully.

It doesn't have to be perfectly flat. I don't mind coloration one bit, and a headphone can easily be colored and well-balanced at the same time. I have a cheap hybrid tube amp. I can understand why you can't listen to the Q701 without an amp, I felt the same on the one I heard, it doesn't sound right without an amp. I personally won't listen to my DT 990 Pro without a tube amp, the headphone doesn't sound right otherwise.

I'll give the Koss DJ100 a listen at Best Buy when I have the chance.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #1,318 of 2,344
6x is the same price.

8x is 1.5x-2x the price.

the pro dj 100 doesn't really even compete well as its street price imho. i've given it a lot of head time, across many different sources and it just doesn't scale well.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,319 of 2,344
It's not like street price is a huge gap from the best sale price, relatively speaking it's a big discount but I if someone didn't like it after paying $80 they're not likely to like it for $25 less either... There's a lot of competition near $100 tho.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,320 of 2,344
Quote:
6x is the same price.

8x is 1.5x-2x the price.

the pro dj 100 doesn't really even compete well as its street price imho. i've given it a lot of head time, across many different sources and it just doesn't scale well.

Not in the UK. The DJ100 and TBSE are @ £50, the KNS6400 is £75 and the KNS 8400 is £129. In the UK at least, the Koss is excellent value, even though I prefer my KNS 8400s by a significant margin. If the Koss came with similar quality memory foam pads, even at a £25 premium, I would be tempted to use the Koss more than I do now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back